how to retrieve deleted transactions by mistake

arlene lueck

18 Jan, 2018 09:39 PM

I deleted a few transactions in an account today that I did not think would effect my checking account. My checking account now has a negative balance. I want to retrieve those deleted items and post them back in to my checking account so that I can reconcile.
I have looked in trash, where I would expect them to be but not there. Please give me any suggestions. Thank you

1. 1 Posted by sth on 18 Jan, 2018 10:45 PM

The only way to retrieve deleted transactions is to go to one of the backup files. Backup files are generated automatically each time you quit. The location is specified in the preferences.

2. 2 Posted by Arlene Lueck on 19 Jan, 2018 12:15 AM

I do not find where back ups are located.

Sent from my iPad

3. 3 Posted by Arlene Lueck on 19 Jan, 2018 12:30 AM

Arlene Lueck
    [email blocked]

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Henry on 19 Jan, 2018 12:34 PM

Hi Arlene,

Sth is correct, using a backup is the only way to retrieve the transactions.
    You can access your default backup location by opening Moneydance and going to Help > Show Archive folder, you can also check as sth stated the preferences within Moneydance under the backups tab for the possible separate backup location.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Arlene Lueck on 20 Jan, 2018 02:41 PM

Under help, archive files I get two options. Money...count agile.md or Moneydance.md Which file do I select. Both say to update to 2012 format, neither mention back ups. Under the file drop down menu. I see archive and export backup Under-preferences I do not see any tab indicating back up. Not sure what to do based on your suggestions.

Sent from my iPad

6. 6 Posted by sth on 20 Jan, 2018 04:13 PM

Ok, you have a couple of possibilities here.

When you use Help->Archive files it opens a Finder window. Use the dividers to slide to see the full file name and get rid of the dots in "Money...count agile.md". You should see now two full file names:
    Money...count agile.md
    Moneydance.md
    And dates for these files. Are either of these files the name of your missing file?

The backup files are set to a directory in the preferences. Use the menu item "Moneydance->Preferences" and you will see a set of tabbed windows for different preferences. Select the one "Backups" and you should see a file path as show below. That will show you where your backup files are.

7. 7 Posted by Arlene Lueck on 20 Jan, 2018 06:16 PM

I have gone into preferences and this is what my header reads:
    General. Color. Network. Check printing. Checkpoints. Home Page
    (There is no heading back up files)

This is why I cannot follow your directions.

Sent from my iPad

8. 8 Posted by Arlene Lueck on 20 Jan, 2018 06:27 PM

Under Help, archives I have two options.
    Moneydance ...count File.md. And Moneydance.md
    (Neither give any dates) when I click on either it gives me the following
    Moneydance Accoint File.md
    17 KB
    Created 6/23/13 8:20 PM
    Modified 6/23/13 8:20 pm
    Last Opened. 6/23/13 8:20 pm

Sent from my iPad

9. 9 Posted by sth on 20 Jan, 2018 08:36 PM

Ok, you have to pick the listing type to get dates in the Finder. But your "MoneyDance Account File.md" is very old and has not had data deeded to it for awhile. What about the info for your other file "MoneyDance.md"?

Do you know which file name you were using previously? What was the name of your primary account?

What was the file you mentioned "Money...count agile.md"? If you get info on that file what are the size and dates?

What version of MD are you using. It seems to be very old and perhaps does not do automatic backups. Do you use Time Machine or other backup software?

10. System closed this discussion on 21 Apr, 2018 08:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac