Urgent Moneydance Lost Data issue

Dan Haigh

12 Jan, 2018 04:31 PM

Hi there,

I would be extremely grateful if you could provide some assistance on this technical issue.

The problem is as follows: As a result of disabling syncing via dropbox a particular set of account is now missing a significant quantity of data - we are talking thousands of entries. As you can imagine this is more than a little distressing. Attempts to re-enable syncing, restore from plentiful local backups and all other obvious mechanisms are not providing a solution. Also - updating to the latest MD / Dropbox etc is also not working (please not backups were made of local dropbox files before updates).

Reading around the web - this seems to be a fairly regular issue - I'm hoping you have a simple solution to this issue! Do you?

A general analysis seems to suggest that the program somehow requires both the local data AND the contents of the dropbox folder in order to have a complete set of data. An explanation on exactly how and where the data is stored when syncing via dropbox is enabled might help us work out a solution ourselves. Copying the data from the cloud stored dropbox folders and placing it in the local dropbox folder is also not seeming to provide the complete set of data. It is possible that the 'correct' dropbox data now resides in the 'deleted files' folder on the cloud dropbox - but before I attempt to restore those and experiment it would be useful to know how the system actually works, or if you have a simple solution?

Also - is there any way to actually talk to someone about this? I suspect that unless there is a simple solution this might be a difficult problem to solve via text.

Thankyou,

Dan

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ian O on 13 Jan, 2018 11:12 AM

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear of the issue you have encountered while using Moneydance. When Moneydance syncs, all data should be taken from the syncing folder in Dropbox and added to the local data set. Disabling syncing shouldn't result in data loss. It sounds like Moneydance is not correctly incorporating the syncing data into your main data set.

Could you let me know what version of Moneydance you are using? You can check this detail within Moneydance by navigating to Help --> About Moneydance. There have been some improvements made in the syncing mechanism in more recent versions of Moneydance 2017. If you are using an older version of Moneydance, this may explain the strange behaviour you have encountered.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Dan Haigh on 22 Jan, 2018 12:31 PM

Hi Ian,

I believe the version in use before the upgrade was 2017.2 and the build no. could have been 1597.

We are now running 2017.6 (1656).

We have backups of the original main data set, and various different backups of the contents of the locally stored dropbox folder.

Please could you advise any and all methods for recombining the data - we are looking at a significant data loss without a solution to this problem. (We've already tried manually placing the backups of the dropbox folder into the local folder and re-enabling syncing).

Thankyou,

3. 3 Posted by Dan Haigh on 24 Jan, 2018 07:25 PM

Anyone?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac