Problems opening a file on screen using a Mac

Dave Hobday

10 Jan, 2018 05:39 PM

When I open a file, it opens in the bottom left corner showing only the red, yellow and green buttons plus the Moneydance logo.

If I click the green button the file goes to full screen, which I do not necessarily want. In order to go to the normal screen which includes the menu bar and the dock, I have to drag the corner of the page in order to resize it.

This happens almost every time I start Moneydance.

I'm new to both Moneydance and Mac so maybe I'm missing something basic here? All I need is for the file to open automatically without having to resize the page by hand and without having to go to a full screen view by using the green button.

1. 1 Posted by sth on 11 Jan, 2018 03:20 AM

What happens if you click on the green button with the Option key held down? That should prevent full screen but go to the previous screen size or the large screen size.

The system should remember screen size between openings.

2. 2 Posted by David Hobday on 11 Jan, 2018 08:10 AM

Thanks for the tip regarding the Option key.

I have opened and closed the file a number of times now and, at first, the system failed to remember the screen size on two occasions. Since then it seems to be ok.

Hopefully the problem is now solved but I’ll continue to monitor it.

3. 3 Posted by Dave Hobday on 11 Jan, 2018 07:19 PM

I've just reopened Moneydance and the problem has occurred again. The system has not remembered the screen size between openings.

Is this a Moneydance issue or a Mac issue?

4. 4 Posted by sth on 11 Jan, 2018 08:49 PM

Hard to say. MD is supposed to remember the screen size in the preferences file. There are some settings in that preference file that should be updated every time to remember.
    "gui.winsize-mainwindow" = "1806x1173" "gui.winloc-mainwindow" = "0x23" "gui.is_maximized-mainwindow" = "n"

But if your permissions are confused and MD can't write to the file it would be an issue. But that would always be a problem and not work for awhile and then stop working.

Are you using a second monitor occasionally? Are you storing the data on a shared folder of some type? Network volume? Accessing from different accounts?

One thing you can do is to move you preferences to the desktop and then reopen MD and set all your window sizes all over. Move the file
    Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict
    to the desktop. To open the Library folder hold down the option key and use the "Go" menu in the finder.

5. 5 Posted by David Hobday on 13 Jan, 2018 02:57 PM

The problem persists.

I do not use a second monitor.
    There is no shared folder.
    Not sure what is meant be ‘network volume’.
    The problem does not seem to occur when I access different accounts which I created whilst trialling MD. So maybe it is just that one account that is affected.

I’m not too sure what your final paragraph involves. Do you mean that I should move the config.dict file to the desktop. Then reopen MD without it. What happens then?

Hope you can help further.

6. 6 Posted by sth on 14 Jan, 2018 04:45 AM

By network volume I mean any "disk volume" that is connected over the network. This would be dropbox, one drive, iCloud, network attached storage etc. They may be buzzwords but basically anything that looks like a disk but is not internal to you machine.

Yes, move that file to the desktop and then open MD. MD will recreate the file with the default settings. You will have to resize all your windows, set up any other preferences you use, check printing, font sizes, colors, backup locations, column widths, etc. it is sort of a pain but it can correct a corrupted file and get a set of default settings back.

If something weird happens remove the newly created file and move the config.dict file from your desktop back to the original location. Saving it to your desktop is just a safety step.

Always make sure you have backups of your data file!!!

7. 7 Posted by BTMail on 15 Jan, 2018 12:13 PM

Many thanks for your advice. Apparently, the developers at Infinite kind are aware of the anomaly and are working on it. Other customers have had the same problem, moreover, it seems to be connected with an upgrade. I had upgraded from version 2017.5 to 2017.6.

As it happens, the problem hasn't reoccurred in the last two days, despite my putting MD through its paces by opening and closing the files many times to replicate the issue. That's not to say it's cured itself. Time will tell. I shall bare your advice in mind and act on it if it becomes necessary.

Dave

Sent from my iPad

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac