Copying and pasting transactions

cloverdavid

08 Jan, 2018 11:59 PM

I am a recovering Quicken user. Have been working with Moneydance for two days. So far, I like it, but there are 3 areas that I think need attention.

1. Earlier messages indicate there is no copy and paste transaction featue. One person wanted to know why it was needed. (Not the point. It is needed, because I keep a separate ledger of certain activities (taxes, charity, etc.) that I want to be able to access easily for reports. Not sure why you don't have a copy/paste feature.
2. It would be nice to have some help information about the program available offline. Hate to go online to pose a question to MD.
3. I tried all the register formats, and am not happy with any because the lines can't be seen. Why not make your register look like the bank registers we all use?
4. You need a category for an account, like my Ledger, that appears on the Summary Page, but does not contribute to my net worth. Right now, I identify the file "Liabilities," but MD counts this as an asset, when it is supoposed to be a work file.
I'll continue gto use MD as my primary financial program as I move toward a paid version.

Thanks,
David

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 09 Jan, 2018 02:31 AM

Hi David,

1) Not exactly C&P but doable. Right click (CTRL-click for Mac) a transaction (txn). From the resulting context menu, select 'Duplicate Transaction'. ENTER the txn. Right-click the new duplicate txn, from the context menu, select Batch Change > Account > select the desired account. Doing so will move the duplicate txn to the selected account.
    2) http://help.infinitekind.com/kb
    3) Menu bar > File > Preferences > General tab > Theme: Customize. Here you can change the color of most items in Moneydance.
    4) Moneydance uses double-entry bookkeeping. I don't think what you are looking to do is possible in Moneydance.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by cloverdavid on 10 Jan, 2018 08:58 PM

Thanks for your reply, Kevin. The solution you suggest is not ideal, but I will try it for a while. I wanted to have a separate Ledger that listed all tax-related items, but not be counted as an asset/liability.
    As for the colors of the register, none of the choices listed are satisfactory. I do not understand the other color info. Just trying to make the registers darker so that lines between items show.
    David

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 10 Jan, 2018 09:06 PM

Tax related items are almost always either Income or Expense items, in Moneydance this generally means that they are a category.

A category (Menu item Tools --> Category) can be set as a "Tax Related" item.

You can then create a Income and Expense report, setting it up to only report on "Tax Related" items and the resultant report will be either a summary of these items or one that includes each transaction - depending on which report you choose.

4. 4 Posted by -Kevin N. on 10 Jan, 2018 10:02 PM

Hi David,

To change the color of the lines between the items in the register...

Moneydance Menu bar > File > Preferences > General tab > Theme > Customize

In the resulting window scroll down to the 'registerGrid' control. Click the control to open the color pallet. Select the desired swatch. (black)
    Click OK.
    Click OK.
    Click OK.

5. 5 Posted by dkarpcal on 10 Jan, 2018 10:21 PM

Thanks, Kevin. That worked! Staring to enjoy MoneyDance more each day.

David

On 1/10/2018 2:02 PM, -Kevin N. wrote:
    pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Hi David,

To change the color of the lines between the items in the register...

Moneydance Menu bar > File > Preferences > General tab > Theme > Customize

In the resulting window scroll down to the 'registerGrid' control. Click the control to open the color pallet. Select the desired swatch. (black)
    Click OK.
    Click OK.
    Click OK.

On Wed, Jan 10 at 01:06 PM PST, dwg wrote:

Tax related items are almost always either Income or Expense items, in Moneydance this generally means that they are a category.

A category (Menu item Tools --> Category) can be set as a "Tax Related" item.

You can then create a Income and Expense report, setting it up to only report on "Tax Related" items and the resultant report will be either a summary of these items or one that includes each transaction - depending on which report you choose.

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Copying and pasting transactions.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://help.infinitekind.com, visit this page

6. System closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2018 10:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac