Missing data!!!

Samantha Levine

03 Jan, 2018 02:03 PM

Hi - I got a new computer over the holidays and when I switched over, all my Moneydance data seems to have vanished. HELP!!!!

I think this has something to do with Moneydance no longer recommending that data files be stored on Dropbox (which mine was) - but even though I was running the 2017 version I DID NOT KNOW THIS and kept my file on Dropbox. I generally use this program ONLY on my laptop computer, I don't even have the program on my phone.

Here's the details:
New computer is running windows 10 enterprise
I downloaded Moneydance 17 from here: https://infinitekind.com/stabledl/current/Moneydance_windows_amd64.exe
Old computer was also running Moneydance 17
Data file was stored on Dropbox, but when I switched to local it created a file (two actually - I think I tried a number of different things) on a local folder
When I go to "Show Documents folder" now it shows the two local folders (SamL.moneydance and SamL 2.moneydance) but there doesn't seem to be data in either of them

When I opened Moneydance for the first time on my new computer, it gave me a message that I shouldn't keep my file on dropbox and instead I should switch to a local file. Fine with me, so I clicked "switch to local file" and poof - no data, and the data on dropbox seems to have been overwritten (!!!!!!).

Here's what the console window says:
Starting Moneydance 2017.6 (1656) at Wed Jan 03 06:31:44 MST 2018
Settings Folder: C:\Users\B01SLE\.moneydance
Java: 1.8.0_144 (Oracle Corporation)
Is in sandbox: false; restricted file access: false
Initializing Moneydance SSL
Created new custom trust manager
multires images available: true
error loading properties for theme custom from URL: file:/C:/Users/B01SLE/.moneydance/custom_theme.properties error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\B01SLE\.moneydance\custom_theme.properties (The system cannot find the file specified)
opening last file: SamL 2
loading dataset: C:\Users\B01SLE\.moneydance\Documents\SamL 2.moneydance
loading with 128 bit encryption key
reading trunk data tiksync/trunk
trunk data loaded (0.005 seconds), checking for incremental updates
replacing root: null () with new root: SamL (ddb06ad2-5388-42a2-8763-2c3ecdfed5f7
dropbox folder should be at C:\Users\B01SLE\Dropbox and exists=true
base sync folder: C:\Users\B01SLE\Dropbox\.moneydancesync
dropbox folder should be at C:\Users\B01SLE\Dropbox and exists=true
base sync folder: C:\Users\B01SLE\Dropbox\.moneydancesync
set antialiasing to HRGB

Please help me, this sucks.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 03 Jan, 2018 08:30 PM

For a start I would be going back to my old computer and seeing if Moneydance is displaying my correct data there.

2. 2 Posted by Samantha Levine on 04 Jan, 2018 04:56 PM

Yes, I tried that - same problem. Pulls up the same empty data set from the
    Dropbox folder.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 04 Jan, 2018 07:45 PM

Its impossible for me to say what has actually happened, but I suspect you will need to restore your data from the last known good backup.

4. 4 Posted by Samantha Levine on 04 Jan, 2018 08:12 PM

Where do I find the backup file?

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 04 Jan, 2018 08:22 PM

Well it sounds like you have not been deliberately making backups so checking in preferences (Menu item File --> Preferences) on the backup table to see if the program has been set to make auto backups (on your old machine) the default location is the Archive directory under the .moneydance directory in your login account. If I recall correctly, the files should have a .moneydancearchive extension.

6. 6 Posted by Samantha Levine on 12 Jan, 2018 11:03 PM

I was under the impression that backups were automatic - every time I exit
    it says "backing up" so ... is that not true?? Where do I find the backup
    file?

There is no Archive directory in my login account. I think the problem is
    that when I said "yes please switch to a local file" it overwrote
    everything I used to have. ARRRRRRGGGHHH. Are you telling me that making
    that one small choice THAT YOUR SOFTWARE RECOMMENDS of switching to a local
    file has now overwritten all of my data?? I had YEARS of info in there,
    this is crazy.

The old computer does not have any additional files.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 13 Jan, 2018 12:43 AM

I'm a fellow user, it is NOT my software.

To see if you have any backups search the machines for files with the extension .moneydancearchive.

All the please switch to local file does is move your moneydance data set from dropbox to the yourusername.moneydance\documents subdirectory, it does not delete archive files or anything else.

Some background:

When you selected to move the files on the new computer it would have done that on the new computer only so if there is data that is where it should be. What happens on the old computer is that dropbox sees the data has been removed from the dropbox server and remove it from the local dropbox mirror directory, so the data files are gone from the old machine, but if you had been creating backups locally then they would still be there.

So in short if you are to have any data files they would be on the new machine if you are to have any backups they should be on the old machine. If you have data sets but with no data in them I do not know what has happened there is not enough information to determine this. Data sets from recent versions of Moneydance I would expect to have a reasonable sized trunk file. This file I expect to be in the location

yourusername.moneydance\documents\datasetname\save\tiksync

For example I have a test database and the trunk file for this is 11MB

If anything has damaged the data set then I would suspect that is was having it on dropbox that would do that, there have been some very strange things happen with Moneydance 2017 data that is housed on dropbox, but complete loss of data is not one I have heard of.

Moneydance will create an automatic backup on exit if you have it setup to do so, the pointer I gave earlier will show if you have set that to on and where backups are to be written to and how many should be kept.

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Jan, 2018 09:49 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

As dwg stated the location of automatic backups is set under FILE – PREFERENCES – BACKUP. On your old computer click on HELP – SHOW ARCHIVE FOLDER. This should open a file finder in this location. Check if you have any files at this location yourdatasetname.moneydancearchive usually ending in a date stamp “.yyyy-mm-dd”. The number of backups depend on the settings under FILE – PREFERENCES – BACKUP. Did you make any manual backups FILE – EXPORT BACKUP. The default location for these is the same as the default for automatic backup. The naming convention for manual backups is yourdatasetname.moneydancearchive again usually ending in a time stamp this time in the format “-yyyymmdd-tttt”.
    If you find your backup try on each one FILE – RESTORE FROM BACKUP.

Hope this helps.

9. 9 Posted by sth on 14 Jan, 2018 04:51 AM

Jumping in here a bit late...
    But I notice that the file that is being opened is:
    "SamL 2.moneydance" Is there a SamL.moneydance or a SamL 1? The modifier 2 seems to imply it is copy made at some point.

You can go to the File->Open window and see if there are other data files in your folder? You might find it there.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac