how to retrieve account

Sylvia Silk Hicks

01 Jan, 2018 05:25 PM

My last communication with you was as Sylvia Silk at a roadrunner email address in Jan 2016. I married, moved and got a new email address. I am now Sylvia Hicks at [email blocked]. Moneydance has been working perfectly for me for 2 years. Today I am having problems.

I was trying to add a new investment acct, realized it should have been in the bank acct section, when trying to switch to the right section, the entire account disappeared. Now when I open Moneydance, I get a Welcome to Moneydance window and the account set I work off of is not listed in the “account sets”.

I just hope I didn’t inadvertently delete the entire account and that it is retrievable with your help.

Thanks,

Sylvia

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 05 Jan, 2018 09:36 PM

Hello Sylvia,

I wonder if you perhaps created a new data file by mistake? If you go to File -> Open from the menu bar, do you see other data files listed? If so, when you open them, do any of them appear to be your data file?

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 08 Jan, 2018 05:43 PM

Ethan,
    I have been traveling. I’m back now and we can solve this dilemma I hope.

I had three data files listed on MoneyDance before I lost one. Now I only have two which I can open. But the one I use has disappeared. If I accidentally pressed the wrong button and deleted it, where did it go? It’s not in my trash basket. Can it be retrieved?

I work on a iMac and my hard drive backsup but apparently MoneyDance is not included in what it backs up.
    I am not a computer geek, when these glitches happen I am at a loss.

Can you help me?

Sylvia

P.S. When I am in MoneyDance and press File, Open, Open Other, I get a window that says “MoneyDance quit unexpectedly”. I have the choice to send a report or reopen. When I choose reopen, it opens one of the two data files I have but not the third one that is lost.

3. 3 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 09 Jan, 2018 04:48 PM

Did you receive this? I sent it to you yesterday. No response yet. I need help retrieving my lost data files.

> On Jan 8, 2018, at 11:42 AM, Sylvia Hicks <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    > Ethan,
    > I have been traveling. I’m back now and we can solve this dilemma I hope.
    >
    > I had three data files listed on MoneyDance before I lost one. Now I only have two which I can open. But the one I use has disappeared. If I accidentally pressed the wrong button and deleted it, where did it go? It’s not in my trash basket. Can it be retrieved?
    >
    > I work on a iMac and my hard drive backsup but apparently MoneyDance is not included in what it backs up.
    > I am not a computer geek, when these glitches happen I am at a loss.
    >
    > Can you help me?
    >
    > Sylvia
    >
    > P.S. When I am in MoneyDance and press File, Open, Open Other, I get a window that says “MoneyDance quit unexpectedly”. I have the choice to send a report or reopen. When I choose reopen, it opens one of the two data files I have but not the third one that is lost.
    >
    >
    >> On Jan 5, 2018, at 3:36 PM, Ethan <[email blocked] <mailto:[email blocked]>> wrote:
    >>

4. 4 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 10 Jan, 2018 05:32 PM

I was assigned a case #40852. I have waited 10 days. I have not received any help. Please contact me today.
    I need to find my MoneyDance program. I have 2 years of data on it!

THE PROBLEM:
    I had three data files listed on MoneyDance before I lost one. Now I only have two which I can open. But the one I use has disappeared. If I accidentally pressed the wrong button and deleted it, where did it go? It’s not in my trash basket. Can it be retrieved?

I work on a iMac and my hard drive backsup but apparently MoneyDance is not included in what it backs up.
    I am not a computer geek, when these glitches happen I am at a loss.

Can you help me?

Sylvia

P.S. When I am in MoneyDance and press File, Open, Open Other, I get a window that says “MoneyDance quit unexpectedly”. I have the choice to send a report or reopen. When I choose reopen, it opens one of the two data files I have but not the third one that is lost.

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 10 Jan, 2018 08:23 PM

The "Moneydance quit unexpectedly" message suggests you may be on a Mac with High Sierra running an older release of Moneydance.

What OS and version are you running?

What version of Moneydance including Build number do you have?

6. 6 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 10 Jan, 2018 09:33 PM

Yes, I am on a mac with High Sierra running and my MoneyDance is an older version: 2012.5 purchased Oct 2013.
    The license key is B2011403-84177731.

But it was working perfectly, before it disappeared. I have accounts for 2016 and 2017 in it.

Thank you for your help, dwg.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 10 Jan, 2018 09:57 PM

It think it is fairer to say that that it appeared to be working perfectly.

One of the problems introduced with High Sierra is an issue with File Chooser Windows, that causes the software to crash, the only solution for this is to upgrade to Moneydance 2017.6 this would be a half price upgrade for you. This bug would likely mean that even if your data is on the system you would never be able to select it to have it open.

To check to see what data sets you have do a search for all files with names ending in .moneydance

Hopefully one of the file names displayed is what you are looking for.

If that doesn't help see what files you can find with a name of root-mdinternal each of these is actually a data file with the name of the folder they are in determining the data set name.

8. 8 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 10 Jan, 2018 10:12 PM

Okay, dwg, I’ll try that. Thanks

9. 9 Posted by sth on 11 Jan, 2018 09:01 PM

The best way to search is to open a finder window for your home directory (the house icon in the left hand side bar). Then type ".moneydance" in the search window and when it asks if that is a file name, click it. That should show you all the .moneydance and the backup .moneydancearchive files in your folder and sub folders.

It should also show you the date last opened for all those files.

10. 10 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 11 Jan, 2018 09:40 PM

STH, I tried to follow your directions. I found the home directory and typed in the search bar “.moneydance” but it did not ask if that is a file name. My screen only shows 7 logs each with a different number and date. Example: hs_err_pid1662.log plus the Moneydance icon to a data file that is not missing. but no icon for the one that is missing.

I think my upgrade to High Sierra screwed me. It never dawned on me I needed to be upgrading Moneydance. I never get a notice to upgrade like with other programs I use and regularly upgrade when notified . Perhaps you might implement an upgrade reminder to your customers going forward.

Sylvia

11. 11 Posted by sth on 11 Jan, 2018 10:11 PM

see next comment, can't delete

12. 12 Posted by sth on 11 Jan, 2018 10:13 PM

That is odd that you have no files. Updating to HS should not remove your files. I have done many updates on a bunch of different machines and never seen that. Attached is a screen shot of what I meant by the finder asking for file name criteria. Wait, I just reread the whole thread....

As I see it you are still trying to update older MD 2012 files to MD 2017! Then you should search for the older file extensions. Search for ".md" instead. Then attempt to open this in MD 2017. There are reports of missing data sometimes on updating in one jump.

So you may need to update in stages:
    Current MD 2012 -> MD 2014 -> MD 2015 -> MD 2017
    The older versions can be downloaded from the bottom of the downloads page. You can do the updates while in "demo" mode.

MD had an update notification scheme but it stopped working awhile ago and has not been fixed.

Just so we are clear, I am not IK or support but just another user. Official support information folks have a big orange bar on their posts.

13. 13 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 11 Jan, 2018 10:23 PM

Well I appreciate your help. I’ll see what I can uncover exploring your “breadcrumbs”. Sylvia

14. 14 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 18 Jan, 2018 04:43 PM

Support: please be more specific with directions below. No data sets appear at all when I search for: root-mdinternal

Where do I need to search? in finder? on my mac? in MoneyDance?

15. 15 Posted by sth on 18 Jan, 2018 07:09 PM

Sylvia,

Did you search for .md in the finder window for your home directory?

16. 16 Posted by Sylvia Hicks on 18 Jan, 2018 08:10 PM

Yes. This is what I get. I fear the entire account has disappeared and is unretrievable.

17. 17 Posted by sth on 18 Jan, 2018 10:44 PM

When did the file disappear, did it happen when you updated your OS to High Sierra? Was it in a shared area or specific to your account?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac