Editing a Reminder can cause double entries

1nigelallam

10 Dec, 2017 04:54 PM

I've just discovered a problem when changing a Reminder's payment date. If you have reconciled an account, and totals balance OK, and then as a separate operation need to change the date an automatic Reminder entry falls due, MD will add another payment into the Register for that account, thus causing a double entry. The "second" payment is not reconciled so is easy to spot, but it can play havoc with your view of what the account balance should be! The situation that caused this for me was changing a due date from, say, the 27th of a month, to the "Last Day" option.

1. 1 Posted by 1nigelallam on 10 Jan, 2018 02:41 PM

I flagged this problem on 10 December but have had no response yet.

2. 2 Posted by tonyt on 10 Jan, 2018 06:16 PM

Interesting and one to watch for???

3. 3 Posted by 1nigelallam on 10 Jan, 2018 08:36 PM

Tony,

Surely this is a bug?

Nigel

Sent from my iPad

4. 4 Posted by sth on 11 Jan, 2018 02:36 AM

Well if you set a reminder to auto enter transactions starting at some point in the past it will auto enter transactions. I am not sure if this is a bug or the program doing what you told it to.
    -Scott (not IK support)

5. 5 Posted by 1nigelallam on 11 Jan, 2018 08:16 AM

It's nothing to do with setting dates in the past. Let's say you reconcile an account on the 5th of a month, which includes auto entered reminders for the last day of the previous month. Then as a separate exercise you want to alter the actual date for future reminders from the last day, to for example, the 25th of future months. When I did this MD added an entry for the 25th of the previous month. This MUST be a bug?

6. 6 Posted by sth on 11 Jan, 2018 08:53 PM

The reminders have a start date. So if I merely edit the days that the reminder activates from the last day of the month to the 25th then I need to tell it to start as of the current date and not whatever the original start date.

So if you edit an auto entered reminder you need to update the start date to the current date as well as change the active date.

Sometimes you want to change a recently auto entered transaction. Sometimes you don't.

7. 7 Posted by 1nigelallam on 12 Jan, 2018 12:44 PM

Dear sth,

That explains it! Thank you.

Nigel

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac