Stock price problems due to currency problems

emiddleton

06 Dec, 2017 12:29 AM

The attached jpg shows the end of day data for today's download for US ETF VWO. With all the US ETF's or stocks that I download the case is the same..... the historical data section shows all the correct data. The current price is not correct and should be the same as the end of day data. The problem occurs is that the MD software uses the current price for all displays and calculations which means everything is off.

Any suggestions as to why these are incorrect? Base currency for my file is $CDN and these items are all in $US. The exchange rate is also downloaded and is correct at approx. 1.27.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by emiddleton on 13 Dec, 2017 07:56 PM

Sean, just read something on the board that Keith mentioned to go to.

"I believe that the issue is related to a part of the code in the extension that will not update the current price of a security with the downloaded value if it the current price has been set manually with a more recent timestamp. Because of how the Currency/Security History window works, simply displaying and closing that window might cause moneydance to think that you updated the price manually."

Whenever I download I always get a new current price for the exchange rate regardless of whether I opened the window that day or not. As far as the US securities, they all get the last historical price updated as well but the current price for the securities changes each time as well.

When I download after the markets are closed, the security prices for that day (in the historical part) remain the same but the current price for the security changes through the evening as the exchange rate changes on each download.

Am I missing something here?

2. 32 Posted by emiddleton on 14 Dec, 2017 04:48 PM

Again I offer to send my test file to you. I've tried to attach it to a message but the system won't take it. It is quite a small file. If you can tell me how to send it and whether you want the backup file or the exported qif file that would help.

3. 33 Posted by sth on 14 Dec, 2017 05:30 PM

Ed, Since the file is a "bundle" of files in a directory, you need to zip it into a single compressed file to attach it. You can right click on it in the finder and select "compress" which will make a zip file.

As another suggestion, unless you already tried this is to try v1012 as a alpha test which tries to make the currency updates happen first.
    https://infinitekind.com/tmp/yahooqt.mxt
    Use the Extensions manager -> load extension from file

You can revert to the standard v1009 by removing the extension and then reinstalling normally.
    -Scott

4. 34 Posted by emiddleton on 14 Dec, 2017 07:02 PM

Did try v1012 and it did not work. Here's a zip file that I've been testing with.

5. 35 Posted by emiddleton on 14 Dec, 2017 07:08 PM

If you get the file into MD, try the following:

1. Download stock prices only. Notice that the historical price from today for VWO equals the current price for VWO, which obviously it should.
    2. Download again with both stock a exhcange rates. When you look at VWO after the download the historical price will be right but...the current price will be off.
    3. Take the last historical price for VWO and multiply it by the last historical price for exchange rate then divide by the current exchange rate. The answer will be what is being displayed on the summary page. That value is not the current price.

6. 36 Posted by sth on 15 Dec, 2017 03:24 AM

I got the file and it uncompressed fine. DOn't have time tonight to mess with it.

7. 37 Posted by emiddleton on 17 Dec, 2017 03:38 AM

Any luck Scott? Just want to make sure that someone else is seeing this problem and that it is not something with my computer or setup. Maybe you can explain it in a different way that might help Sean out a bit more.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Data_for_VWO.JPG 68 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Dec, 2017 03:37 PM
17 Dec, 2017 03:21 PM
17 Dec, 2017 03:05 PM