Another syncing between computers problem

Tim Lynch

12 Oct, 2017 08:54 PM

I rarely print using Moneydance, but recently had occasion to print some credit card activity. I found that Moneydance locked up and had to force it to quit. I looked at some of the discussions and I found that a lot of other people are having the same problem.

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro and a iMac late 2015. Each of the two computers have system 1012.6. Each computer was running Moneydance 2017.3 (1604). I updated Moneydance to 2017.6 (1644) on both computers. The update didn’t didn’t help the printing problem, but introduced a different situation. When opening after the update i get "Your file seems to be in a shared folder. We strongly recommend moving your file to this computer and using Moneydance's built-in syncing to share across computers and devices.”

I allowed the file to be relocated in both computers and then I selected the “Open Synced File” and chose the Dropbox Folder and entered a password in both computers.

I imported a couple of activities into Moneydance on the Powerbook and can’t see any evidence of those imported activities being synced to the iMac.

As of now the Dropbox doesn’t show any Moneydance files. The MoneydanceLatest.moneydance file is in /Users/(username)/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.Moneydance OSX/Data/Documents

Because I print so little, I can live without printing until a salutation is found, but I need to get the syncing working.

Tim

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Oct, 2017 07:30 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Many Mac users have reported that upgrading to High Sierra fixes the issue with the Mac OS that was creating the printing issue for Moneydance. Go to your Apple stop and look for the upgrade to High Sierra.

As for syncing you need to designate one of your computers as the primary computer and one as a secondary computer. The primary computer syncing is set under FILE – SYNCING. Unless you purchased from Apply I would suggest using the sync method “Dropbox Folder” rather than “Dropbox Connection, it is more flexible. Once set up a folder called “.moneydancesync” is created in the root of your Dropbox folder. This folder contains an alfa numeric folder relating to the data set you are syncing. One folder is set up per data set. Some users have more than one data set to sync. These folders are not data sets. Syncing on the second computer is set by selecting FILE - NEW – OPEN SYNCED FILE. The second computer reads the data in the Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and creates its own data set in its default data set location. From then on Dropbox is used to exchange data between the two computers. See this auricle for more information http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Tim on 13 Oct, 2017 10:48 PM

derekkent23, thanks for the reply. Do you have any advice on what I can do to get back to a clean state so I can retry the setup of Moneydance again. Iiv'ed tried to redo the settings window, which only lets me see my passphrase and I get no response when I click on the change my passphrase.

I used the "syncing with other computers" as a guide when setting up the syncing, but I still must have messed up something.

Tim

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Oct, 2017 07:49 AM

To change your “Encryption Passphrase” on your primary computer first set “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE - SYNCING.
    On your second computer you can’t change your “Encryption Passphrase”. If you won’t a new “Encryption Passphrase” on your second computer you need to reset syncing.

To reset syncing, set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync”.
    On your primary computer use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong. Then shut down Moneydance.
    On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.
    In your Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”.
    I would recommend using the syncing method “Dropbox Folder. Open Moneydance on your primary computer, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder” and wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. This can take some time. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”.
    On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set” – “Open Synced File” and perform the initial sync steps.
    For the detailed steps on how to set up syncing take a look at http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...
    If you still experience issues report back.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by boreham on 14 Oct, 2017 08:21 AM

Just a snippet to add to the advice Derek has given you:

The .moneydancesync folder, which is the carrier pigeon between the actual data files in the two Macs, is invisible. So you won't see any mention of Moneydance in your Dropbox folder unless you make invisible files visible, which you will need to do to start all over as per Derek's advice.

The easiest way to make invisible files visible is press the shift+cmd+period keys at the same time with the folder you want to apply it to open. Do shift+cmd+period again to make them invisible.

5. 5 Posted by sth on 14 Oct, 2017 06:16 PM

That keyboard shortcut mentioned by boreham may not work on all versions of the OS.

6. 6 Posted by Tim Lynch on 17 Oct, 2017 12:41 AM

d erekkent23, boredom and sth, thanks for your replies.

Well I got a little frustrated and started a new file and transferred my data into it. After that I could now see the settings window, so I entered a new password.

In looking at other messages I found one that states that I must my setup the two dropbox accounts to be both mine. I’ve tried both ways, using the same person on each account and each person on their own account, don’t see differance.

This was among one of your helpful messages. “On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance””.

If I delete the data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance” where do I find the file to chose when in the “open synced file”. I’ve been copying it from my computer, the Macbook and placing it in the document folder on my iMac. Maybe you could clarify the having .moneydance files.

There is’t any syncing going on.

Tim

7. 7 Posted by boreham on 17 Oct, 2017 05:02 AM

Two points:
    1. Both computers must be signed in to the SAME Dropbox account.

1. The folder which does the transferring in the INVISBLE .moneydancesync folder. This is what moneydance finds after "open syncd file" . The actual data files should not be in Dropbox.
  8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Oct, 2017 08:03 AM

Starting with Dropbox. Both computers must have Dropbox client installed. Dropbox must be installed on the same drive as Moneydance. Some people have their hard drives partitioned and try to put Moneydance and Dropbox into different drives, don’t do this. These Dropbox clients should be setup for the same user account. When correctly setup you should be able to paste any file into Dropbox and see it in Dropbox folder on the other computer.

Start again by resetting syncing.
    To reset syncing, set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE – SYNCING..
    On your primary computer use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong. Then shut down Moneydance.
    On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.
    In your Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”.
    I would recommend using the syncing method “Dropbox Folder. Open Moneydance on your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder” and wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. This can take some time. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. Wait until the same Dropbox folder appears on your second computer, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”.
    On both computers you should now be able to see the Dropbox folder “.monedancesync”.

Note you do not copy your data set to the second computer. Moneydance does this for you via the Dropbox .moneydancesync folder when you follow the second computer syncing process outlined below. The data set it creates in the default data set location on your second computer is not exactly the same as the one on your primary computer, it is structured to be a second computer data set.

On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set” – “Open Synced File” use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT. You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open” in which Moneydance is looking for any data set data it can find in your .moneydancesync folder. It should then list all the data set names it can find, some people have more than one data set to sync. Highlight your data set name and click NEXT. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING. Then click on FINISH.
    Wait for your data to be synced.

If you have any problems with the above process please post with as much detail as you can, with screen shots if necessary, the devil is in the detail.

Hope this helps.

9. 9 Posted by boreham on 17 Oct, 2017 03:28 PM

When following Derek's much more comprehensive instructions remember that . dropboxsync is invisible so you won't see it or be able to delete it with making invisible files visible.

10. 10 Posted by Tim Lynch on 23 Oct, 2017 06:13 PM

derekkent23, I’m making some progress, but it seems I still have aways to go.

#1 Changed method to don’t sync on primary computer, MacBook Pro
    #2 Did export backup from MacBook Pro
    #3 Shut down Moneydance on MacBook Pro
    #4 On iMac, did help-show document folder to see where the document was located
    #5 Shut down Moneydance on the iMac
    #6 Deleted the document that that was shown on line #4
    #7 Deleted the .moneydancesync file from the Dropbox folder on the iMac
    #8 Made sure that the same account in Dropbox was set to the same on the iMac and MacBook Pro
    #9 Opened Moneydance on the MacBook Pro
    #10 Went to the file syncing to verify the passphrase in the MacBook Pro and to use Dropbox folder
    #11 Checked to see that the .moneydancesync was in the Dropbox folder on the MacBook Pro
    #12 Open Moneydance in the iMac and saw that .moneydancesync was in the Dropbox folder
    #13 Check on the create new account
    #14 Went to the file syncing to verify the passphrase in the iMac and set for Dropbox folder
    #15 I chose one of two files that were listed
    #16 I saw the quick message that said “finished writing sync data”

The file appeared quickly and was about 80% the same as the Moneydance file in the MacBook Pro. The Moneydance file name on the MacBook Pro is “Bellini Finances” and the new file on the iMac is “349cfb1d-2f00-46e7-8084-6321b14efd8d”

Shouldn’t I expect to see matching data on the first sync?

11. 11 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Oct, 2017 08:50 PM

When you deleted Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” did you wait for Dropbox to delete the folder on the other computer before proceeding?
    The data set you select in your step 15 should be the name of the data set used on your primary computer which if I am reading you post correctly is “Bellini Finances”. It should not be the name of the folder you see in the Dropbox “.moneydancesync” folder. Moneydance looks into the folder/files to find the data set name.
    It concerns me you say in step 15 “I chose one of two files that were listed”. If this is the first time you have synced after following the reset procedure there should be only one file listed. Were both file listed on your second computer in the search screen headed “Select a synced document to open” after performing ““Create a new account set” – “Open Synced File” use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT” alfa numeric names, not your data set name? If so I don’t think the initial sync has work correctly.
    This happened to me once after sync resetting, which I have now done many times for testing, when Dropbox had not completed creating the “.moneydancesync” folder and all its contents on the second computer before I try to set up the second computer. The only way out is to repeat the reset syncing procedure again. Are you sure you waited for Dropbox to complete the updating on your second computer before opening Moneydance on it?
    Your step 12 concerns me “Open Moneydance in the iMac and saw that .moneydancesync was in the Dropbox folder” you should not be using Moneydance to look at the “.moneydanceyync” folder. Was that what you were doing?
    One thing I should have mentioned is that all of the accounts not listed in your primary computer in the side bar will probably appear in your second computers side bar, these are normally accounts you have removed from the side bar as they were closed. Use the “+” sign then ADVANCED to tidy thing up.
    Did your accounts etc still look OK on your primary computer, no strange things happening?
    Let me know how you get on after resetting sync again. Make sure you follow all the steps in the order given, accurately.

12. 12 Posted by Tim Lynch on 24 Oct, 2017 04:30 PM

When you deleted Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” did you wait for Dropbox to delete the folder on the other computer before proceeding?

I assume that you are talking about line #7 which notes when the “.moneydancesync” was deleted. The next time the “.moneydancesync” was looked for was in line #11. Are you saying that the “.moneydancesync” in Dropbox folder on the MacBook Pro or the iMac should delete on it’s own? I’ll try to watch for that.

The data set you select in your step 15 should be the name of the data set used on your primary computer which if I am reading you post correctly is “Bellini Finances”. It should not be the name of the folder you see in the Dropbox “.moneydancesync” folder. Moneydance looks into the folder/files to find the data set name.
    It concerns me you say in step 15 “I chose one of two files that were listed”. If this is the first time you have synced after following the reset procedure there should be only one file listed. Were both file listed on your second computer in the search screen headed “Select a synced document to open” after performing ““Create a new account set” – “Open Synced File” use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT” alfa numeric names, not your data set name? If so I don’t think the initial sync has work correctly.

“Bellini Finances” is the correct name for the Moneydance file used on the MacBook Pro. I’ve never seen that name come up as a file to choose from. Yes, after clicking NEXT the alfa numeric names, not your data set name show up.

This happened to me once after sync resetting, which I have now done many times for testing, when Dropbox had not completed creating the “.moneydancesync” folder and all its contents on the second computer before I try to set up the second computer. The only way out is to repeat the reset syncing procedure again. Are you sure you waited for Dropbox to complete the updating on your second computer before opening Moneydance on it?

Your step 12 concerns me “Open Moneydance in the iMac and saw that .moneydancesync was in the Dropbox folder” you should not be using Moneydance to look at the “.moneydanceyync” folder. Was that what you were doing?

No, I looked in the Dropbox folder for .moneydancesync

One thing I should have mentioned is that all of the accounts not listed in your primary computer in the side bar will probably appear in your second computers side bar, these are normally accounts you have removed from the side bar as they were closed. Use the “+” sign then ADVANCED to tidy thing up. Did your accounts etc still look OK on your primary computer, no strange things happening?

I understand that I’ll have to do some changes in appearance in the side bar. The accounts etc still look OK on my primary computer, no strange things happening.

13. 13 Posted by Tim Lynch on 24 Oct, 2017 05:17 PM

I assume that you are talking about line #7 which notes when the “.moneydancesync” was deleted. The next time the “.moneydancesync” was looked for was in line #11. Are you saying that the “.moneydancesync” in Dropbox folder on the MacBook Pro or the iMac should delete on it’s own? I’ll try to watch for that.

“Bellini Finances” is the correct name for the Moneydance file used on the MacBook Pro. I’ve never seen that name come up as a file to choose from. Yes, after clicking NEXT the alfa numeric names, not your data set name show up.

No, I looked in the Dropbox folder for .moneydancesync

One thing I should have mentioned is that all of the accounts not listed in your primary computer in the side bar will probably appear in your second computers side bar, these are normally accounts you have removed from the side bar as they were closed. Use the “+” sign then ADVANCED to tidy thing up. Did your accounts etc still look OK on your primary computer, no strange things happening?

I understand that I’ll have to do some changes in appearance in the side bar. The accounts etc still look OK on my primary computer, no strange things happening.

Tim

14. 14 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 Oct, 2017 09:02 PM

In my procedure when you are asked to delete the “.moneydancesync” folder the result is Dropbox will automatically delete it on the other computer as well. My concern was that this had not happened before you moved to the next step. Check the other computer to ensure Dropbox has had time to delete the “.moneydancesync” folder before you move on.

In the section of my procedure were I state “On both computers you should now be able to see the Dropbox folder “.monedancesync”.” it is important that not only the folder “.moneydancesync” has been created by Dropbox but Dropbox has completed copying all its contents from the primary computer to the second computer before you move on. Hence my comment “again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”.”. Windows has an icon you can click on to check if Dropbox is up to date, I presume this is also true on your computers.
    If all has gone well then when you get to the step in the procedure that states “You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open”” then after a short delay you should see your data set name, not a alphanumeric string.

I would suggest performing my reset procedure again giving Dropbox time as outlined above to do its work.

Hope this helps.

15. 15 Posted by Tim Lynch on 25 Oct, 2017 01:27 AM

I’ve tried one more at setting up syncing. I used the same numbered items on the sheet that I uploaded a couple of days ago.

I followed numbers one through ten and then did nothing for an hour, then I continued with eleven through sixteen.

The only hint of syncing was during number ten when this, “finished writing sync data” was seen at the bottom of the Dropbox window. That sentence lasted about twelve seconds.

After waiting about an hour I continued on with number eleven and at number fifteen I again found the same two numeric files to chose .

I give up, so now I need instructions to go back to the old stye syncing with Dropbox using two computers. I hope it is possible to do that. Thank you for spending a lot of time on this, maybe there will be upgrade that will be easier to deal with.

Tim

16. 16 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Oct, 2017 08:49 AM

With 2017 you can’t use the old sync method used for 2015 and earlier versions. The changes made in 2017 mean that placing your data set directly in Dropbox means you are running the risk of corrupting your data set even if you are careful and open Moneydance on one computer at a time.
    You will be back to getting the warning message you had in your first post “"Your file seems to be in a shared folder. We strongly recommend moving your file to this computer and using Moneydance's built-in syncing to share across computers and devices.”
    I have taken another look at your 16 steps and for me some of the steps are a little ambiguous.
    For example, step 13 “Check on the create new account” this step is performed on the second computer and should read in the “Welcome window” click on “Create new File” then select “Open Synced File” and use the drop down to select “Dropbox Folder” then click Next.
    This may be how you performed step 13 or maybe you are performing this step incorrectly and thus why you have had a problem, I can be sure. This also applies to some of the other steps.
    Below I have included an overview of 2017 syncing, followed by a reset procedure in a numbered step format. Try following this. In any step if you don’t get things how I describe, detail what you are seeing.

Here goes.

Overview

When syncing with 2017 you have a primary and a secondary computer. The data set is stored in the default location on the hard drive of your primary computer. See under HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER. Your data set is a folder not a file. It contains other folders and files. The data set folder is named yourdatasetname.moneydance. In later build of 2017 you are prompted to allow Moneydance to automatically move your data set to the default location if Moneydance detects you have your data set in Dropbox. If you don’t allow your data to be moved it may become corrupted! DON’T STORE YOUR DATA SET IN DROPBOX or any other shared drive.

Your second computer does not have the same data set as the primary computer. Its data set is created from data synced via Dropbox folder “.moneydancsync” created automatically by the primary computer. The folder “.moneydancesync” may be hidden, so if you are looking for it set whatever your file explorer is called to show hidden File/Folders. The data set has the same naming convention as the primary data set and is stored in the default location on the secondary computer’s hard drive, but it’s not a duplicate of the primary data set. They are not interchangeable. In normal operation Moneydance on your devices reads and writes to the Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync”, creating small transaction files (mdtxn files) in such a way that there should never be any conflicts (at least not to any important files). Filenames are unique and the data is encrypted using your sync key (“Encryption Passphrase”). All changes are recorded in this folder and if any of the changes cause conflicts then they are resolved by checking timestamps that are internal to the file (i.e. not the file modification date).

RESET SYNCING

It a good idea to reset syncing if you have changed your syncing method or run into problems during syncing after checking you are running the latest build of 2017.

1. Set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE – SYNCING, then click OK.

2. On your primary computer use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.

3. Then shut down Moneydance on your primary computer. If you are using Dropbox as the backup location wait till the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.

4. On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.

5. Using your primary computer in the Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”.

6. In your second computer check that in the Dropbox folder that the folder “.moneydancesync” has been automatically deleted. You need to give Dropbox a short time to complete this deletion.

7. Open Moneydance on your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder”, click OK.

8. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”.

9. Wait until the same Dropbox folder appears on your second computer, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”.

10. Check that now on both computers you are able to see the Dropbox folder “.monedancesync”.

11. On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”.

12. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT.

13. You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open”

14. After a short search delay, it should then list your data set name used on your primary computer.

15. Highlight your data set name and click NEXT.

16. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING.

17. Then click on FINISH.

Wait for your data to be synced.

If in any step you don’t get things how I describe, detail what you are seeing, including screen shots.

Hope this works for this time.

17. 17 Posted by dwg on 25 Oct, 2017 10:49 AM

Guys,

I have a vague memory from some time back that even after removing everything about syncing that there were still references in the data set to the setup. If my memory is not failing me, and that is a real possibility :), the solution was to backup and then restore the data set then use the restored data set to set up the syncing.

18. 18 Posted by boreham on 25 Oct, 2017 12:40 PM

Should be added to Moneydance Official documentation!

19. 19 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Oct, 2017 01:44 PM

A Data Set that has been synced does retain some information but I think it is only relevant if you want to change the name of the Data Set.
    So is you want to change the name of a Data Set that has been synced use FILE - EXPORT BACKUP then FILE - RESTORE FROM BACKUP then change the name of the restored Date Set.

Hope this helps.

20. 20 Posted by Dan Hanger on 25 Oct, 2017 04:26 PM

derekkent-

I don't know if what you just wrote is implying that syncing will still work after re-naming the restored data set, but it does not. I just tried it because I'm so tired of seeing that stupid encrypted file name, but after the restore I noticed right away that there were no syncing messages in the MD status (at the bottom) so I checked File>syncing and it now said 'not syncing'. I re-opened the prior data set and all was back to normal.

Windows 7 Pro, MD 2017.6

21. 21 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Oct, 2017 05:07 PM

Sean the software developer explained to me that setting the sync method to don’t sync as part of the export backup – restore from backup process was deliberate. It was intended for a scenario were syncing was corrupting your data set and you needed to restore from backup. If on restoring from backup a syncing method was still set any corrupt data would be synced straight back into your newly restored data set.
    Also, as I stated if you won’t to rename a data set that has been synced you should do an export backup – restore from backup process and then rename the restored data set.
    If you are having syncing problem it worth resetting syncing as described in post 16 above. It could be a good idea to start from a renamed, restored from backup data set. Use a name you have not used before.

Hope this helps.

22. 22 Posted by dwg on 25 Oct, 2017 09:28 PM

Hi Derek,

i was under the impression that the backup and restore deleting syncing information was not so much to facilitate renaming a data set (as I think the data set name is not used by the software in the syncing configuration but an internal name is being used - the same one as the current bug that displays a strange name when you add multiple desktops to the syncing) but to facilitate being able to create a new independent Data Set. Without doing this I would not be surprised if the renamed data set did not go and sync with the original data set on any other machine.

23. 23 Posted by Tim Lynch on 25 Oct, 2017 10:32 PM

derekkent23, Bad news and good news.

When going through the syncing procedure I mistakingly did’t change the selection from “Dropbox Connection” to “Dropbox Folder” while I was in the sync settings window on the iMac.

I don’t recall the order in which the new windows appeared.
    #1 window, a place where a code that was needed could be copied

#2 window, a place for the code to be pasted and a way to log in and chose “Allow”

#3 click on Next and gets to a window that says sync could connect to your Dropbox account. it has a button to select “Connect”

#4 the Next button brings a sheet that confirms that you are connected.

#5 the last window was the sheet that allowed you which file you could select to use. The “Bellini Finances” was the only one available and after selecting it, my “Bellini Finances” appeared.

All of the accounts were consistent with the primary computer, the MacBook Pro.

All of the data amounts were consistent with the primary computer, the MacBook Pro.

I entered some transactions in a couple of accounts on both computers and that worked well. I deleted some transactions on both computers and that also worked well.

Do I dare consider this a cure and keep as is?

Tim

24. 24 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Oct, 2017 11:04 AM

For some reason implementing the sync method “Dropbox Connection” has worked for you whereas you have been struggling with “Dropbox Folder”.

Dropbox Folder as one advantage over Dropbox connection but it you can live with that I would stay as you are. You need to be online when Moneydance is running in order for changes to be synced.

The following is an explanation given by Sean the software developer regarding these two syncing methods, Dropbox Folder and Dropbox Connection.

“With "Dropbox Connection" Moneydance uses the Dropbox API to talk to the Dropbox service directly. So, you don't need to have Dropbox client actually installed on your computer, but you do need to be online when Moneydance is running in order for changes to be synced. With "Drobox Folder" Moneydance will just read and write files to your Dropbox folder on your computer, which means that you need to have Dropbox client installed and running, but you don't need to be online in order for Moneydance to read and write the changes.”

Hope this helps

25. 25 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Oct, 2017 12:02 PM

dwg, I think we are saying the same thing.

My comment was “if you won’t to rename a data set that has been synced you should do an export backup – restore from backup process and then rename
    This as you say “create a new independent Data Set”.

26. 26 Posted by Tim Lynch on 26 Oct, 2017 04:06 PM

derekkent23,

Thanks for you help and patience. I’ll keep a watch on the change logs to see if anything shows up for syncing

Tim

27. 27 Posted by jonh on 09 Dec, 2017 10:57 PM

Derek:
    Thanks for this great tutorial. It helped me figure out how to change my Primary computer to a different computer.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac