Another syncing between computers problem

Tim Lynch

12 Oct, 2017 08:54 PM

I rarely print using Moneydance, but recently had occasion to print some credit card activity. I found that Moneydance locked up and had to force it to quit. I looked at some of the discussions and I found that a lot of other people are having the same problem.

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro and a iMac late 2015. Each of the two computers have system 1012.6. Each computer was running Moneydance 2017.3 (1604). I updated Moneydance to 2017.6 (1644) on both computers. The update didn’t didn’t help the printing problem, but introduced a different situation. When opening after the update i get "Your file seems to be in a shared folder. We strongly recommend moving your file to this computer and using Moneydance's built-in syncing to share across computers and devices.”

I allowed the file to be relocated in both computers and then I selected the “Open Synced File” and chose the Dropbox Folder and entered a password in both computers.

I imported a couple of activities into Moneydance on the Powerbook and can’t see any evidence of those imported activities being synced to the iMac.

As of now the Dropbox doesn’t show any Moneydance files. The MoneydanceLatest.moneydance file is in /Users/(username)/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.Moneydance OSX/Data/Documents

Because I print so little, I can live without printing until a salutation is found, but I need to get the syncing working.

Tim

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Oct, 2017 07:30 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Many Mac users have reported that upgrading to High Sierra fixes the issue with the Mac OS that was creating the printing issue for Moneydance. Go to your Apple stop and look for the upgrade to High Sierra.

As for syncing you need to designate one of your computers as the primary computer and one as a secondary computer. The primary computer syncing is set under FILE – SYNCING. Unless you purchased from Apply I would suggest using the sync method “Dropbox Folder” rather than “Dropbox Connection, it is more flexible. Once set up a folder called “.moneydancesync” is created in the root of your Dropbox folder. This folder contains an alfa numeric folder relating to the data set you are syncing. One folder is set up per data set. Some users have more than one data set to sync. These folders are not data sets. Syncing on the second computer is set by selecting FILE - NEW – OPEN SYNCED FILE. The second computer reads the data in the Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and creates its own data set in its default data set location. From then on Dropbox is used to exchange data between the two computers. See this auricle for more information http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Tim on 13 Oct, 2017 10:48 PM

derekkent23, thanks for the reply. Do you have any advice on what I can do to get back to a clean state so I can retry the setup of Moneydance again. Iiv'ed tried to redo the settings window, which only lets me see my passphrase and I get no response when I click on the change my passphrase.

I used the "syncing with other computers" as a guide when setting up the syncing, but I still must have messed up something.

Tim

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Oct, 2017 07:49 AM

To change your “Encryption Passphrase” on your primary computer first set “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE - SYNCING.
    On your second computer you can’t change your “Encryption Passphrase”. If you won’t a new “Encryption Passphrase” on your second computer you need to reset syncing.

To reset syncing, set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync”.
    On your primary computer use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong. Then shut down Moneydance.
    On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.
    In your Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”.
    I would recommend using the syncing method “Dropbox Folder. Open Moneydance on your primary computer, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder” and wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. This can take some time. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”.
    On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set” – “Open Synced File” and perform the initial sync steps.
    For the detailed steps on how to set up syncing take a look at http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...
    If you still experience issues report back.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by boreham on 14 Oct, 2017 08:21 AM

Just a snippet to add to the advice Derek has given you:

The .moneydancesync folder, which is the carrier pigeon between the actual data files in the two Macs, is invisible. So you won't see any mention of Moneydance in your Dropbox folder unless you make invisible files visible, which you will need to do to start all over as per Derek's advice.

The easiest way to make invisible files visible is press the shift+cmd+period keys at the same time with the folder you want to apply it to open. Do shift+cmd+period again to make them invisible.

5. 5 Posted by sth on 14 Oct, 2017 06:16 PM

That keyboard shortcut mentioned by boreham may not work on all versions of the OS.

6. 6 Posted by Tim Lynch on 17 Oct, 2017 12:41 AM

d erekkent23, boredom and sth, thanks for your replies.

Well I got a little frustrated and started a new file and transferred my data into it. After that I could now see the settings window, so I entered a new password.

In looking at other messages I found one that states that I must my setup the two dropbox accounts to be both mine. I’ve tried both ways, using the same person on each account and each person on their own account, don’t see differance.

This was among one of your helpful messages. “On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance””.

If I delete the data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance” where do I find the file to chose when in the “open synced file”. I’ve been copying it from my computer, the Macbook and placing it in the document folder on my iMac. Maybe you could clarify the having .moneydance files.

There is’t any syncing going on.

Tim

7. 7 Posted by boreham on 17 Oct, 2017 05:02 AM

Two points:
    1. Both computers must be signed in to the SAME Dropbox account.

1. The folder which does the transferring in the INVISBLE .moneydancesync folder. This is what moneydance finds after "open syncd file" . The actual data files should not be in Dropbox.
  8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Oct, 2017 08:03 AM

Starting with Dropbox. Both computers must have Dropbox client installed. Dropbox must be installed on the same drive as Moneydance. Some people have their hard drives partitioned and try to put Moneydance and Dropbox into different drives, don’t do this. These Dropbox clients should be setup for the same user account. When correctly setup you should be able to paste any file into Dropbox and see it in Dropbox folder on the other computer.

Start again by resetting syncing.
    To reset syncing, set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE – SYNCING..
    On your primary computer use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong. Then shut down Moneydance.
    On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.
    In your Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”.
    I would recommend using the syncing method “Dropbox Folder. Open Moneydance on your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder” and wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. This can take some time. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. Wait until the same Dropbox folder appears on your second computer, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”.
    On both computers you should now be able to see the Dropbox folder “.monedancesync”.

Note you do not copy your data set to the second computer. Moneydance does this for you via the Dropbox .moneydancesync folder when you follow the second computer syncing process outlined below. The data set it creates in the default data set location on your second computer is not exactly the same as the one on your primary computer, it is structured to be a second computer data set.

On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set” – “Open Synced File” use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT. You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open” in which Moneydance is looking for any data set data it can find in your .moneydancesync folder. It should then list all the data set names it can find, some people have more than one data set to sync. Highlight your data set name and click NEXT. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING. Then click on FINISH.
    Wait for your data to be synced.

If you have any problems with the above process please post with as much detail as you can, with screen shots if necessary, the devil is in the detail.

Hope this helps.

9. 9 Posted by boreham on 17 Oct, 2017 03:28 PM

When following Derek's much more comprehensive instructions remember that . dropboxsync is invisible so you won't see it or be able to delete it with making invisible files visible.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac