Updating fund prices

chris

14 Sep, 2017 07:31 AM

The funds I invest in aren't listed in Google, Yahoo Finance USA or Yahoo finance UK. However they are listed in Mornigstar and on the London Stock Exchange web site under "Funds". For example I own some units of "BlackRock Global Allocation A2 USD Acc NAV" with ISIN number LU0072462426. I have tried to use the Quotes & Exchange Rates Extension but I cannot get it to recognise this ISIN number.

Should I be using a different Extension to access the fund prices on the London Stock Exchange web site? If so, where do I find it?

This is the URL of the page that gives the price for the fund mentioned above
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/funds/company-summary/OX/5301377.html

Here it is on Morningstar
http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F0GBR04AMK

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Chris.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Sep, 2017 08:00 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Can I add my vote that Morningstar and the London Stock Exchange are added to the Quotes & Exchange Rates Extension.
    I too have asked for this in the past so support please take another look.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 14 Sep, 2017 09:46 AM

There are many sites around the world that can provide some level of pricing. Unfortunately they mostly suffer from a couple of shortcomings from the perspective of being able to use them with other applications.

The first is that many sites do not have any specific or even reasonable way of programmatically accessing the data on the site, so being able to capture something like a price can be extremely difficult, for example I eventually found the pricing on the LSE site on about line 1100 in the page code, I do not think it would be viable to try and parse that many lines, I did not see any way of downloading a price file, perhaps they offer it to paid subscribers but that adds another level of complexity for the download software and naturally a cost to the user.

The second problem is that many sites are country specific, there are 190+ countries in the world and with a program sold worldwide incorporating country specific sites I doubt would be viable.

I do not think this is an easy problem to solve, many financial software packages have relied on Yahoo for prices, so I think a lot are in the same boat.

3. 3 Posted by chris on 14 Sep, 2017 10:21 AM

Thanks for the answer, dwg. If that is the likely response from Money Dance then I don't think I will bother to switch from my current personal finance software, Microsoft Money. I can just as easily continue to update my fund prices manually in Microsoft Money instead of switching to Money Dance and updating them manually in there. I hold shares in USA, UK and Singapore as well as funds in Isle of Man, Guernsey and Ireland. I am looking for a personal finance solution that is truly international and will synch prices internationally. Google, Yahoo Finance USA and Yahoo Finance UK do not do that in a comprehensive manner,.as I mentioned in my first note.

For me the only benefit is switching away from Microsoft Money is to have everything updated automatically, but I still cannot find anything that does that. Quicken doesn't do it either.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 14 Sep, 2017 10:40 AM

Quicken is generally country specific as well.

Yahoo is probably the best using current prices but it certainly does not have anywhere near all the funds prices, it seems pretty good on share prices.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Sep, 2017 10:40 AM

When I was looking for a replacement for MS Money one of the packages I tried was BankTree. I even purchased a copy before eventually abandoning it in favour of Moneydance. One advantage it had was its free security price download feature. I just updated by copy to see if it still had this feature and it has. For every individual security you can set the price to download from Yahoo Stock, Bloomberg Stock, Financial Times Stock or Google Finance Stock. I not saying these institutions will cover all security prices, but the odd have be better than Moneydances with only two. At the time I was testing different packages BankTree scored a larger number of hits finding prices.

Support can you check out automatic downloading from these other institutions?

6. 6 Posted by chris on 15 Sep, 2017 02:34 AM

Hi Derek

I have tested BankTree and it does synchronise the fund prices when I select Financial Times as the source. I think I have found a answer to my problem! Thanks for your help. I hope the developers at MoneyDance learn that they need to widen their data srouces. The Financial Times data is very comprehensive and includes funds from many countries in many currencies. More so than Yahoo and Google. I will test the BankTree for a month and then subscribe if I get on with it OK.

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Sep, 2017 03:46 PM

I stated I purchased BankTree and then abandoned it in favour of Moneydance.
    There were two reasons for this.
    One - overall Moneydance was a better program, the only area BankTree won out was the free downloading of security prices. More institutions available and the ability to select a different institution for each security.
    Two – Support was by email, no open forum. Support main aim seemed to be, state that there wasn’t a problem with the program, if that failed to convince, it was the way the program was being used, if that didn’t work, we can’t help and they stopped replying to emails. In short they support was terrible, they didn’t seem to won’t to help or fix problems. Maybe it’s changed.

Let us know how it goes.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac