HiDPI Display resolution, MD not scaling and is unreadable.

deerewright

14 Sep, 2017 03:24 AM

I see there are a few posts concerning this, one from as early as 2012???? Why is this not being addressed? Most current generation laptops are HiDPI displays. MD is completely unusable in the current state on hi-res displays. If MD doesn't scale correctly, which it does not, that is a failure of the developers. In one of the posts the developer blames it on a bug with java 8. If that is so, there needs to be a work around, or preferably a move away from Java completely. Another says there is "no way" to scale moneydance. A quick google search will show many work-arounds in both Windows, and Linux to scale individual applications that do not scale automatically, so "no way" is most likely an overstatement, and does not instill much confidence in the developers of MD.

Is there any work happening on this? Any timeline for when there might be a fix?

I have been using MD for many years, and have alot of time invested in MD. I do not want to invest a bunch more time moving to another platform, but problems like this are going to drive your loyal users away.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ian O on 14 Sep, 2017 09:04 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the issues you have encountered while using Moneydance. I have raised this issue with our lead developer and explained the behaviour that our customers that are using linux system's are experiencing. We believe the visual issues that you are seeing are cause by a slightly out of date version of Java being bundled with the Linux installation package. We will be looking to release an updated installer for Moneydance containing the latest Java package, this should resolve the issues completely.

I have assigned the relevant ticket to this discussion so you will be notified via this thread once the new installer is available. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the meantime and sorry for the inconvenience.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by deerewright on 19 Sep, 2017 02:38 PM

Is it possible a problem with OpenJDK? I am currently on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, running openJDK: "openjdk version "1.8.0_131"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-8u131-b11-2ubuntu1.16.04.3-b11)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

Would it perform better under oracle Java?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ian O on 19 Sep, 2017 03:48 PM

Hi,

Moneydance is bundled with a version of Java that it will use. The version you have installed on your system will not effect the issues in Moneydance. I have asked our lead developer to look into recompiling the linux installer with a more up to date version of Java. This should resolve the issues, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused. I update you as soon as the update is available.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ian O on 21 Sep, 2017 10:46 AM

Hi,

We have new preview version of Moneydance available here, the linux installer now has an updated version of Java bundled with it so should hopefully resolve the issues you have encountered.

if the issues persists, can you send me a screenshot of what you're seeing? I'll then pass these on to the development team to investigate further. You can read instructions for taking a screenshot from here - http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by deerewright on 21 Sep, 2017 06:40 PM

Just for reference here are some screenshots from before the preview version (2017.5 (1639)).
    I have included a shot of the about screen, my display settings, and one with the preference font set at "+4", another with "+8".

If you notice the +8 pic shows the preferences window resized in order to view the options. The +4 is how that window pops up initially.

6. 6 Posted by deerewright on 21 Sep, 2017 06:53 PM

No change with the new version 2017.5 (1639).

7. 7 Posted by deerewright on 21 Sep, 2017 07:23 PM

I should mention, that this is the only application that has this extreme of a problem. Most other apps in Ubuntu scale just fine, some need some minor tweaks to get them to be more readable.

The only way I could get moneydance to be comfortable was to decrease my screen resolution to 1920x1080, kind of defeating the purpose of a hi-res screen. :~/

8. 8 Posted by deerewright on 22 Sep, 2017 02:05 AM

Looking at things a little more....

It appears the title bar, and menu fonts are okay, but the sidebar, register, etc. are the issue.

I do not see any difference with the new version over the original.

Also, looking at my screenshots, online the fonts appear larger than they actually display natively.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac