Not updating share values

Salvador Magallo

17 Jul, 2017 05:02 PM

I just discovered that Moneydance is not any more downloading the Spanish shares actual value.
Last values are from mid April.
I am not able to remember if I updated the program at this date
I am using version 2017.3 build1622

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Henry on 18 Jul, 2017 03:23 PM

Hi Salvador,

Thank you for contacting us.
    A Yahoo support representative has confirmed that Yahoo Finance API has been discontinued.
    From the changes that have been made, it seems like Yahoo is trying to prevent people from automated downloading like Moneydance (and so many others) are doing.

Our lead developer has mentioned that we may be able to make a change, that means the Moneydance connection will pose as a browser, rather than a program. This may allow the connection. However, it seems very likely that this will turn into a 'cat-and-mouse' game.

The current workaround is to navigate to Extensions and Select Quotes and Exchange Rates and change the Historical Security Prices to Google Finance. If certain prices are missing after that, you can download the quotes in a cvs file and import them by navigating to Tools > Securities > Edit then Import.

You can also update the current prices through the Security Price Entry extension in the Extensions menu.

We are looking into other services we can use instead to resume the automatic downloads.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Salvador Magall... on 19 Jul, 2017 10:59 AM

Thank you very much for your answer.
    The change to Google Finance did not work at all.
    Can you elaborate a little more on the import to Tools> Securities?
    Has to be made to a single security at a time?
    Or can I import all the securities in a fixed date?
    The last option seems to be an easy way, but I think it is not possible.

Thank you again

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Henry on 19 Jul, 2017 11:22 AM

Unfortunately Google Finance doesn't cover all of the Securities.
    Regarding the manual import:
    First, open the Securities Detail view and click History, click import, then select “Import from Transactions” and click “Import”. The information from your security transactions will be integrated into your security’s history.
    You can still download the Historical data in a spreadsheet format from Yahoo and import it as instructed above.
    And you are correct it has to be done a security at a time.

Regarding the last option for the current prices, it should work in a way where you check and paste the new prices in the new price window.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Salvador Magall... on 19 Jul, 2017 04:17 PM

Thanks again Henry.
    In all the cases, even in the last option, ( check and paste ), you have to go a security at a time.
    It is a pity that it is impossible to check and copy the full column of the new price in the Security Price Entry.
    It is time consuming and avoids one of the big advantages of your program.
    I imagine that could be easily corrected by your people.

Many thanks

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 20 Jul, 2017 08:49 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

This is another option.
    There is a free third party extension that allows a CSV file to be loaded and update the security price history. See https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2015/wiki/Security%20Price%...

The above third party web page also provides a link to the description of how the extension works.
    The CSV file you need to create using a spread sheet program list all your security and there price for a given day. This data can be loaded into Moneydance in one go.
    Ensure you have a ticker number to each security. Also add these ticker numbers to your CSV file. This is the only way for identify which price data relates to which security.
    You don’t need to have all the field descried, in my case I only use three i.e. only three headers. See extract from my CSV file.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by Salvador Magall... on 20 Jul, 2017 04:14 PM

Thank you very much Derek
    Your option seems a very good aproach to help me.
    Unfortunately I will not be at home until next 26th.
    I will try it and report the result
    I am already reading the wiki web .
    Thank you again

Enviado desde mi iPad

7. 7 Posted by Salvador Magall... on 26 Jul, 2017 03:23 PM

Hello Derek and all
    Your method seems to be a little more difficult than expected.
    I spent some time without a full satisfactory result.
    First difficulty was to get a csv format file as requested by the extension. It is perfectly described in the wiki of Mike Bray.
    I am using a Mac. Getting the security values automatically updated in the last version of the spread sheet “numbers”.The format of their csv export is not matching. I even tried to go exporting through my old version of excel for Mac, again without success. Finally I handcrafted the csv file to fit the required format. To mention an aspect: In the Spain region and Spanish language the decimal separator is a comma instead of the required point.
    Second difficulty was that applying the extension, all the securities were updated with some exceptions. After correcting all the possible details not matching I have reduced the exception to four securities. But I have not more corrections to do. All seems correct. The new values proposed are zero. And there I am.
    Finally it seems to much work. I will try again these days but if I am not able to improve, it is more easy to put the values manually.
    In any case Derek I thank you very much for your help.
    I enjoyed the couple of hours of effort. I was forgetting what happens when something does not work and you try to correct it. And have the feeling that some years ago ( with Windows ) I had got better results.

Best regards

> El 20 jul 2017, a las 18:13, Salvador Magallo <[email blocked]> escribió:
    >
    > Thank you very much Derek
    > Your option seems a very good aproach to help me.
    > Unfortunately I will not be at home until next 26th.
    > I will try it and report the result
    > I am already reading the wiki web .
    > Thank you again
    >
    > Enviado desde mi iPad
    >
    > El 20 jul 2017, a las 10:50, derekkent23 <[email blocked] <mailto:[email blocked]>> escribió:
    >
    >>

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Jul, 2017 08:21 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

If you would like some more help attach a CSV file containing the four securities that load with a zero values. Also take four screen shops of the “Edit Security” window, one for each security. TOOLS – SECURITIES – double click on security name then EDIT.

May be able to help.

9. 9 Posted by Salvador Magall... on 28 Jul, 2017 11:46 AM

Thanks again Derek.
    I tried your last advice without positive results.
    I am giving up and introducing the security values manually from time to time.
    In fact I am now dissatisfied with Moneydance. I considered it the best option five years ago when I adopted it.
    In Madrid , where I am, it is practícally imposibble to get the automatic data connection with a bank. No more securities updating from Yahoo. No more use of checks. And the budget features of the program are quite poor.
    It these things work probably is still the best option. If not, as in my case, it is the moment to evaluate other possibilities.

Thanks again Derek for your time and your help

Enviado desde mi iPad

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac