Account set names are long alphanumeric instead of my names after syncing to new computer

boreham

15 Jul, 2017 09:46 PM

I have three account sets with simple one word names I have given them. these are syc'd between two macs using Dropbox Folder method. Data files are in default location.

Today I added a Windows machine. Import and Syncing went well except the account set names are long alphanumeric names, not the simple names I have in Mac.

How do I fix this?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 15 Jul, 2017 10:04 PM

I think I read a while back that displaying the underlying Moneydance applied replication name rather than the user assigned data set name was a bug in Moneydance. It seems, I recall, kick in when you add a third machine.

There is a thread somewhere in the forum about this and I think it is:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/34350-syncing-bet...

2. 2 Posted by boreham on 15 Jul, 2017 10:29 PM

Thanks very much for quick reply dwg!

I tried the renaming but it created additional folders with the alphanumeric names.

It is workable with the alphanumeric names, I just have to learn which account set is associated with which proper name.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 15 Jul, 2017 10:44 PM

I think it is more or less a display problem with Moneydance showing you the underlying unique Sync name rather than the more friendly name that you have assigned, more an annoying problem than anything sinister.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ian O on 17 Jul, 2017 09:12 AM

Hi,

I'm afraid there's currently a bug thats causing these files names to show incorrectly when syncing. I have attached the relevant bug ticket to this thread, so we will notify you when this is resolved. Once you've synced the file, you can open it from the other system as normal. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by boreham on 17 Jul, 2017 09:38 AM

Thanks, seems to be working OK.

I just have to remember that:-

"a2a2..........." is my personal accounts, "6fb1............" is the charity of which I am Treasurer "e335..........." is my mother's accounts.

Would be a non-issue with only one set of accounts.

Incidentally it seems that the local data file created during setup takes on the alphanumeric name from the .moneydancesync folder at the time of setup.

The folders currently in DB/.moneydancesync are not the same as the alphanumeric names of the local data files appearing in the MD window as above.

This bothered me a bit initially, but syncing seems to be working correctly in both directions, and the alphanumeric names I see in MD are not changing.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 17 Jul, 2017 10:20 AM

Perhaps they could call it a security feature, put in enough gobblegook and no one will understand it :)

What you are describing makes some sense to me. The name in the moneydance sync folder is a generated name, by rights you should not have to worry about that name, when you set up sync on second and subsequent machines I believe it should pass your data set name and use this on the remote machine, it does not sound like it is doing this. During the setup I think it should as part of the configuration get the moneydance sync name and store it inside of moneydance as part of its link information.

I stand ready to be corrected :)

7. System closed this discussion on 16 Oct, 2017 10:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac