Just a user, not support, but my first questions would be to ask you are syncing at all, and where your data file is located. If you are and previously had the MD data file in Dropbox it needs to be moved.
See these threads (for example) for explanation and discussion:
I am not syncing anywhere (no Dropbox and not even the MD app).
I had used MD2017 (first version) in this last attempt more than 1-2 months ago.
However, about a year ago, I had tried to upgrade from my current MD 2014.5 (980) to 2015.7 (1358). It showed the exact same symptoms. At that time, I had brought this to the notice of MD support staff, although I could not send real data due to privacy reasons.
As it has happened again in 2017, it appears it's one of those very elusive and special condition bugs that happen only with certain types of transactions which the developers may never have envisioned (and thus were not tested). I don't think it should be hard to trace since the bug is repeatable, is drastic and limited to only liability accounts. They should be able to find the particular transactions that are causing the bug.
So I doubt the 2017.3 will help much but nonetheless, I shall give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again for your suggestion.
Will somebody from the developers reply to this problem please? This is not a small error and will affect numerous people who will upgrade.
I dug down further into account entries to see where the errors were occurring at the transaction level. It is quite amazing that the errors are not just in the liability accounts but in all types of accounts (Bank, Assets, ...)
Also, the errors are of completely random nature. Examples of what errors have done--
Amount changed in a transaction (no pattern of change, completely arbitrary)
One account of a transaction changed to some other (one account of the two accounts that each transaction comprises of)
Amount of one line item in a Split transaction changed
I think I even saw two new transaction entries created although this might be the same as the 2nd bullet above. ....
In a second try, I did the conversion of data from 2014 to 2017 by deleting all previous backup files and all other files and folder in the data folder except the root.mdinternal file, just to make sure the converter was not picking up any old data from other files. This didn't make any difference.
**** REQUEST THE FAVOR OF A REPLY EVEN IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO FIX THIS BUG ****
Working late into the night yesterday and trying to manually search and fix each entry that was corrupted, I think I may have narrowed down the bug for you.
It seems like all the corrupted entries are transactions that were once modified by me in the past (in MD 2014 of course). This makes me think that your data converter picked up the old entries, those made even years ago, from the inside of some kind of an "UNDO buffer" and disregarded the new entries.
That also explains why the corruption is of all kinds because I have made changes to transaction amounts, changed accounts, changed split entries, etc.
Hope this will save you time to finally nail the bug.
I'm having the same problems, consistently since the last version.
Transactions are entered correctly but the sum totals (net worth etc) are completely wrong.
When I go in to the detailed list of transactions in reports, I see why: every transaction displays with numbers in the millions, billions or trillions, despite the actual transactions entered in the registers being normal numbers (in the tens or hundreds).
This resembles the currency bug I'd previously seen (which I'm still not sure has been fixed) but is much more widespread in scope and is making Moneydance nearly unusable for summary reporting.
Please, somebody, look into this urgently!
I don't know if you'll get this message. I downloaded the latest Beta version after your suggestion above.
It wiped out (deleted) all the attachments (the documents attached with certain transactions) during the translation of data from 2014 to 2017.3b.
Then I repeated the translation again with the officially released 2017.3, and the attachments remained intact. So, the Beta versions appear to be half-baked and in this poor state, they shouldn't even be released to the public.
Now I am worried that the other accounting books (of other clients) that I converted using the Beta version and having manually fixed all entries after spending hours might also have this and other problems. A lot of time lost I guess. NEVER TO TRY BETA VERSIONS although that might be no security if the main releases also have bugs.