Moneydance 2017 can't print reports in Mac os 10.12.4

frostibarks

03 Apr, 2017 08:17 PM

Using iMac 2013. Recently upgraded to OS 10.12.4 and Moneydance 2017.

As others have reported Moneydance goes unresponsive the instant a "print" command is touched in any of the reports. Must force quit.

I finally found your instruction to make sure "Share this printer on the network" is turned on in System Preferences. After making this adjustment I finally managed to print a report — BUT IT TOOK SIX MINUTES. During this six minute wait Moneydance was unresponsive.

Is anybody working on a fix for this?

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by wa1oui on 09 Jul, 2017 08:09 PM

It's been said before, but if you save to html you can print reports easily...

2. 62 Posted by eliot.nierman on 09 Jul, 2017 08:12 PM

Correct. Just open with browser after save and then print

Sent from my iPhone

3. Support Staff 63 Posted by Ian O on 10 Jul, 2017 08:32 AM

Hi All,

Please accept my apologies for not getting back to you with an update sooner.

If you have purchased Moneydance 2017, you may wish to try upgrading to the latest release of the program. The latest version is 2017.3 build 1622, and can be downloaded from here.
    This new build should reduce the printing delay, however it has not been successful for everyone.
    You may find that the longer Moneydance is open, the shorter the delay should be. Using this new build, when Moneydance starts up, it begins trying to connect to the printing system straight away - in order to hopefully avoid a delay when you decide to print later.

If you have purchased Moneydance 2014 or an earlier version, this is not a free upgrade and therefore we would suggest not downloading the latest version at this time - as this build will not provide a full resolution.

I have provided the latest update from our lead developer, Sean Reilly, below -

"I think I mentioned before that the problem was due to a conflict between additional security measures in macOS 10.12.4 + and how Java connects to the mac printing system. Talking to Apple, they have no plans to adjust the security changes, so we're working on the java side to make the required changes. It is a bit complicated but we are getting very close to a working patch that should make the printing work smoother than ever.
    Unfortunately I can't provide a solid ETA, but with the current state of the fix I'm hoping it'll be about another week, possibly two, before we can send out a preview build that should fix it.
    I am very sorry for this problem and am taking it extremely seriously."

I'd like to reiterate Sean's comments and apologise again for the inconvenience this has caused. We greatly appreciate your patience while we work to get this fixed.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 64 Posted by glewbel on 12 Jul, 2017 04:14 PM

Hi, Ian. Please let Sean know that using build 1623 didn't solve the printing problem for me, and 1622 didn't either. I'm running OS 10.12.5 on a Retina iMac, and hitting the Print button for any MD report locks up the program for at least 5 minutes.

5. 65 Posted by Mauricio Tejeda on 12 Jul, 2017 04:47 PM

El 12 de jul de 2017 11:15 AM -0500, glewbel <[email blocked]>, escribió:

// Hi due to the problem I start using iFinance 4.

And by now works fine. Problem is to mograte data.

6. 66 Posted by Eric on 23 Jul, 2017 11:05 AM

Hi,

The problem is also not resolved with Build 1624. Printing is a major function for any financial management software and I cannot understand that it has not been fixed in the 3 months since it has been reported.

Can you confirm that this issue is being treated as a major incident and that it is being prioritized accordingly? I've been using MoneyDance for 9 years and up until now have been very happy with your product.
    Eric

7. 67 Posted by Larry Manley on 01 Aug, 2017 12:47 PM

After much research, finding out Bankitivity will not allow split checks, I thought Moneydance was the answer. I will continue with my make do 2009 Qucikbooks until you let me know the print glitch is fixed.

8. 68 Posted by dwg on 01 Aug, 2017 10:05 PM

I've been following this issue and posted the following to a related thread last week:

I have been following this issue from the start and have picked up some comments that Sean has made elsewhere on this problem and in the interest of keeping people informed provide them here.

The issue requires changes in Java (we already know from earlier statements Apple have made changes to OSX and will not be going back) Java is owned by Oracle and Sean has reported the issue to them, he appears to have received no feedback from Oracle, so the status from an Oracle perspective is unknown. Some years ago Apple stopped working on Java themselves and passed all responsibility to Oracle.

Sean has also stated that he has been working on Java himself as it is mostly open source but the changes required are "tricky" so it is taken time to do.

9. 69 Posted by glewbel on 04 Aug, 2017 01:34 PM

The fact that Apple and Oracle have not responded to this important issue (and apparently will not) despite what must be rather desperate entreaties from Sean suggests that continuing to count on Java code for printing under OS X is a dead-end strategy.

MD developers, is there any fall-back plan to remove Java from the mix? Waiting until Sean figures out how to become a Java programmer has produced nothing but apologies and excuses for many months. Is there any alternative?

10. 70 Posted by Penny on 25 Aug, 2017 10:29 PM

Just purchased. Trying to move from YNAB because of a business sale to a program to better cope with investments. And have now discovered can't print. Really!!.......a whole days work and the money wasted because its no good to me without printing. Its sitting here currently frozen.

11. 71 Posted by dwg on 25 Aug, 2017 11:18 PM

glewebel,

The reason for using a language like java is its ability to use identical code under different operating systems without the need for Operating System specifics being required in the code, the java run time or Java Virtual Machine takes care of the O/S specifics.

I am not aware of another product that facilitates this.

To move away from Java would require the whole product to be recoded, from scratch I would think as I do not think that any of the java code could be translated into another language. I would expect TIK would be unable to support the program on multiple operating systems if this was done.

The Java Virtual Machine source will most likely be written in a language like C or C++

12. 72 Posted by dwg on 25 Aug, 2017 11:20 PM

Penny,

The current workaround to print reports, until printing can be fixed, is to save the report to a HTML file then use your browser or word processor to print the resultant HTML file

13. 73 Posted by Penny Richards on 26 Aug, 2017 12:09 AM

Better idea is to forget it and write off my purchase. Too much headache.

14. 74 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Aug, 2017 07:15 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

You could use your 90 day money back guaranty see https://infinitekind.com/refunds

Hope this helps.

15. Support Staff 75 Posted by Ian O on 30 Aug, 2017 09:54 AM

Hi All,

I'd like to apologies again for the long wait you have all had for a solution to this issue. As previously stated we believe we are closing in on a fix for this but it has regrettably taken much longer than we anticipated. I'd like to assure you all again that we are actively working on a resolution to this issue and still exploring various options, including seeking external expertise which we hope will speed things up considerably. We still consider resolving this issue our top priority and hope to have news of definitive progress in the near future.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

16. 76 Posted by fb on 14 Sep, 2017 01:46 PM

I am appalled by how this issue is being handled by Infinite Kind. I paid for my copy of Moneydance and still not being able to print after patiently waiting for many months for a resolution is not acceptable. There are more unresolved bugs in Moneydance and I cannot justify continuing to use such an unreliable application for such an important activity. Therefore, after helping many of my friends switch to Moneydance, I am now officially looking for alternatives.

Infinite Kind: You just lost another customer.

17. 77 Posted by garyrob on 01 Oct, 2017 09:24 PM

Any more news on the printing issue? Extremely annoying. I haven't decided to drop MD yet, but I'm getting close. If you can't properly support printing on the Mac, you should stop selling it for the Mac.

I understand the trick of saving to HTML, so this is not getting in my way as much as it is for those who don't know that trick. But I have no confidence that the app will remain viable for the mac if you can't make it print properly.

Idea: How about adding a helper app, in some other language, such as Swift, that can do the Mac printing, and which receives the data to print by one of the many means that are available for interprocess communication? This seems like it would lead to a pretty easy fix, albeit at the (small) cost of having a small helper app running.

18. 78 Posted by dwg on 01 Oct, 2017 09:44 PM

According to other threads Apple have resolved the issue through changes made in High Sierra i.e. OSX 10.13

19. 79 Posted by garyrob on 01 Oct, 2017 10:17 PM

Oh! Well then I take it all back! I haven’t upgraded to High Sierra yet. Thanks for letting me know.

--

Gary Robinson
    [email blocked]
    http://www.garyrobinson.net

20. 80 Posted by PABLO on 04 Oct, 2017 02:18 AM

I've just upgraded to HIGH SIERRA OSX 10.13 and... yes! Moneydance is printing reports with no delay, just as expected!

(BTW, High Sierra is not stable yet, I've had some problems during installation - including a frozen screen, solved with a hot restart. May be you want to wait until it be released with no bugs).

21. 81 Posted by Penny Richards on 04 Oct, 2017 05:29 PM

Will upgrade income tax time when need reports. I have a new 2017 iMac as of june on sierra 10.12.6 and very disinclined to get bugs right now. It works so beautiful. Its predecessor was 9 yrs old and while it still worked fine was slow and buggy.
    Thanks. :)
    Penny

22. 82 Posted by Malcolm Duncan on 04 Oct, 2017 06:28 PM

Hi all,

I , like Pablo, have upgraded to HIGH SIERRA and now have Moneydance printing without delay.

I did not have any issues installing HIGH SIERRA on my late 2013 MacBook Pro and have not experienced any since.

Very happy that I can now stay with Moneydance. The alternatives I investigated all seemed to either lack the features I wanted or required to many compromises.

Regards
    Malcolm

23. 83 Posted by Bob Hovey on 05 Oct, 2017 07:56 PM

13 worked for me too, so far
    Bob

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac