Moneydance 2017 can't print reports in Mac os 10.12.4

03 Apr, 2017 08:17 PM

Using iMac 2013. Recently upgraded to OS 10.12.4 and Moneydance 2017.

As others have reported Moneydance goes unresponsive the instant a "print" command is touched in any of the reports. Must force quit.

I finally found your instruction to make sure "Share this printer on the network" is turned on in System Preferences. After making this adjustment I finally managed to print a report — BUT IT TOOK SIX MINUTES. During this six minute wait Moneydance was unresponsive.

Is anybody working on a fix for this?

Showing page 4 out of 4. View the first page

1. 91 Posted by garyrob on 24 Dec, 2017 08:32 PM

Maybe we chalk this incident up to the fact that Apple’s software seems to be getting less and less reliable over the years. They introduced a problem with the printing mechanism used by MoneyDance with an earlier OS release, and took a very long time to address it. In the context of people being able to logon as root with no password, and many other problems, this just seems like a reasonable way to think of what happened here.

If Apple doesn’t start making more effort to ensure they don’t break very fundamental things with new OS releases, I’m going to switch to Windows or Linux (and Android for my phone). At least I’ll be able to keep using MoneyDance! But I’m hopeful that the most recent spate of Apple problems was severe enough that they’ll do something about it. <> <> <>

Gary Robinson
    [email blocked]

2. 92 Posted by sth on 24 Dec, 2017 10:05 PM

@frotibarks, yes, this was worked on a lot back when Mac OS X 10.12.4 came out and the problem appeared. This is why the time was reduced from 45 minutes to 6. It seems that this is one of the sandboxing/security patches introduced with Java.

The fix if you want to reduce that time to less than 6 minutes is to either downgrade to Mac OS X 10.12.3 or upgrade to Mac OS 10.13.X. I think the way that Sean fixed it the time will decrease the longer you have the program open. But YMMV. Everyone has reported great success with the update to High Sierra.

@garyrob, yeah, everyone has their great idea of what Apple should do and what they thing is wrong. Most are ill-informed and sophomoric in their analysis. This is not an example of what you are proposing is an issue.

BTW, I am not IK nor their agent!

3. 93 Posted by garyrob on 25 Dec, 2017 01:55 PM

> @garyrob, yeah, everyone has their great idea of what Apple should do and what they thing is wrong. Most are ill-informed and sophomoric in their analysis. This is not an example of what you are proposing is an issue.

@sth, yeah, anyone can make snide comments on the Internet, revealing only that they are a twerp. I’m unsubscribing from this thread. Sincerely, <>

4. 94 Posted by sth on 25 Dec, 2017 09:33 PM

For those not stomping off in a huff...
    Java is not a "fundamental" thing that Apple broke by lack of testing or quality control. There is a discussion of apple software verification and if there is a change in quality control. But as I said, this isn't it if you are cognizant of the details. Most of the discussion is hot air.

No I haven't tried to make a wiki page, nor a devote my time to developing a dating service, nor internet user tracking software. But one can look up my peer reviewed science publication list but it is probably more of interest to academics in the field than useful in establishing my credibility on this forum.

5. 95 Posted by sierraamber on 18 Jan, 2018 12:50 AM

Still reluctant to upgrade to High Sierra so I ended up using the "Copy" button and pasting on Numbers spreadsheet. Worked pretty well with just little bit of fine-tuning. Just need to make sure I don't press the forever spinning wheel "Print" button again.

6. 96 Posted by sth on 18 Jan, 2018 01:11 AM

If that floats your boat, go for it.

The spinning wheel is not forever but only about 10 to 15 min in the latest build. Supposedly it goes down the longer MD is open.

7. 97 Posted by Robert HOVEY on 18 Jan, 2018 01:11 AM

Have faith. High Sierra and the latest MD will put this grief behind you. We have two MD systems in our house for different uses and the fixes have worked

Dictated, then scrambled by Siri my editor.
    Bob Hovey
    Cell 404-333-1598

8. 98 Posted by MLP on 01 Feb, 2018 11:05 PM

Sorry but upgrading to High Sierra to fix this printing problem isn't a solution -- there are plenty of other softwares/apps that have issues with High Sierra. Who wants to trade this problem for several others?? Incredibly frustrated and like others, evaluating my continued use of Moneydance

9. 99 Posted by sth on 02 Feb, 2018 04:31 AM

Well YMMV of course, but High Sierra has had a lot fewer software problems than Sierra for me. Being one who does a lot of software compatibility I would not say that there are "plenty" of apps with issues, but rather only a few and they have almost all been updated by now. I guess it is what software you want, it always seems like a lot when it is your favorite piece of software.

The developer spent a lot of time reducing the printing delay to the minimum with Sierra. It was much worse when 10.12.4 originally came out.

Your other option is to downgrade to Sierra 10.12.3 which does not have that problem. Of course it has other issues. You are asking for a very specific combination of software that will probably never be supported. Ya can't always get what you want... But if you try sometimes, you get what you need!

10. 100 Posted by Fixit Now on 02 Feb, 2018 04:42 AM

After years of using Moneydance, I gave up on the print issue with High Sierra 10.13.2. I now have SEE Finance with no problems and it’s much better than Moneydance. My records from Moneydance imported into SEE Finance very well.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac