Moneydance 2017 can't print reports in Mac os 10.12.4

frostibarks

03 Apr, 2017 08:17 PM

Using iMac 2013. Recently upgraded to OS 10.12.4 and Moneydance 2017.

As others have reported Moneydance goes unresponsive the instant a "print" command is touched in any of the reports. Must force quit.

I finally found your instruction to make sure "Share this printer on the network" is turned on in System Preferences. After making this adjustment I finally managed to print a report — BUT IT TOOK SIX MINUTES. During this six minute wait Moneydance was unresponsive.

Is anybody working on a fix for this?

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by wa1oui on 09 Jul, 2017 08:09 PM

It's been said before, but if you save to html you can print reports easily...

2. 62 Posted by eliot.nierman on 09 Jul, 2017 08:12 PM

Correct. Just open with browser after save and then print

Sent from my iPhone

3. Support Staff 63 Posted by Ian O on 10 Jul, 2017 08:32 AM

Hi All,

Please accept my apologies for not getting back to you with an update sooner.

If you have purchased Moneydance 2017, you may wish to try upgrading to the latest release of the program. The latest version is 2017.3 build 1622, and can be downloaded from here.
    This new build should reduce the printing delay, however it has not been successful for everyone.
    You may find that the longer Moneydance is open, the shorter the delay should be. Using this new build, when Moneydance starts up, it begins trying to connect to the printing system straight away - in order to hopefully avoid a delay when you decide to print later.

If you have purchased Moneydance 2014 or an earlier version, this is not a free upgrade and therefore we would suggest not downloading the latest version at this time - as this build will not provide a full resolution.

I have provided the latest update from our lead developer, Sean Reilly, below -

"I think I mentioned before that the problem was due to a conflict between additional security measures in macOS 10.12.4 + and how Java connects to the mac printing system. Talking to Apple, they have no plans to adjust the security changes, so we're working on the java side to make the required changes. It is a bit complicated but we are getting very close to a working patch that should make the printing work smoother than ever.
    Unfortunately I can't provide a solid ETA, but with the current state of the fix I'm hoping it'll be about another week, possibly two, before we can send out a preview build that should fix it.
    I am very sorry for this problem and am taking it extremely seriously."

I'd like to reiterate Sean's comments and apologise again for the inconvenience this has caused. We greatly appreciate your patience while we work to get this fixed.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 64 Posted by glewbel on 12 Jul, 2017 04:14 PM

Hi, Ian. Please let Sean know that using build 1623 didn't solve the printing problem for me, and 1622 didn't either. I'm running OS 10.12.5 on a Retina iMac, and hitting the Print button for any MD report locks up the program for at least 5 minutes.

5. 65 Posted by Mauricio Tejeda on 12 Jul, 2017 04:47 PM

El 12 de jul de 2017 11:15 AM -0500, glewbel <[email blocked]>, escribió:

// Hi due to the problem I start using iFinance 4.

And by now works fine. Problem is to mograte data.

6. 66 Posted by Eric on 23 Jul, 2017 11:05 AM

Hi,

The problem is also not resolved with Build 1624. Printing is a major function for any financial management software and I cannot understand that it has not been fixed in the 3 months since it has been reported.

Can you confirm that this issue is being treated as a major incident and that it is being prioritized accordingly? I've been using MoneyDance for 9 years and up until now have been very happy with your product.
    Eric

7. 67 Posted by Larry Manley on 01 Aug, 2017 12:47 PM

After much research, finding out Bankitivity will not allow split checks, I thought Moneydance was the answer. I will continue with my make do 2009 Qucikbooks until you let me know the print glitch is fixed.

8. 68 Posted by dwg on 01 Aug, 2017 10:05 PM

I've been following this issue and posted the following to a related thread last week:

I have been following this issue from the start and have picked up some comments that Sean has made elsewhere on this problem and in the interest of keeping people informed provide them here.

The issue requires changes in Java (we already know from earlier statements Apple have made changes to OSX and will not be going back) Java is owned by Oracle and Sean has reported the issue to them, he appears to have received no feedback from Oracle, so the status from an Oracle perspective is unknown. Some years ago Apple stopped working on Java themselves and passed all responsibility to Oracle.

Sean has also stated that he has been working on Java himself as it is mostly open source but the changes required are "tricky" so it is taken time to do.

9. 69 Posted by glewbel on 04 Aug, 2017 01:34 PM

The fact that Apple and Oracle have not responded to this important issue (and apparently will not) despite what must be rather desperate entreaties from Sean suggests that continuing to count on Java code for printing under OS X is a dead-end strategy.

MD developers, is there any fall-back plan to remove Java from the mix? Waiting until Sean figures out how to become a Java programmer has produced nothing but apologies and excuses for many months. Is there any alternative?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac