Moneydance 2017 can't print reports in Mac os 10.12.4

frostibarks

03 Apr, 2017 08:17 PM

Using iMac 2013. Recently upgraded to OS 10.12.4 and Moneydance 2017.

As others have reported Moneydance goes unresponsive the instant a "print" command is touched in any of the reports. Must force quit.

I finally found your instruction to make sure "Share this printer on the network" is turned on in System Preferences. After making this adjustment I finally managed to print a report — BUT IT TOOK SIX MINUTES. During this six minute wait Moneydance was unresponsive.

Is anybody working on a fix for this?

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by wa1oui on 02 May, 2017 02:11 PM

I’ve found so far that saving to html and opening in my browser and printing also is working well.

2. 32 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 02 May, 2017 10:41 PM

Just for info, I updated my laptop to 10.12.5 beta 5 and there is no improvement. From clicking the Print button to display of print dialog box, 4 plus minutes.

Good luck IK, this is not going to get better without some work on your side ( a java issue maybe?).

Fred

3. 33 Posted by jrweberdds on 04 May, 2017 01:42 PM

I too am having this problem. Using 10.12.5 beta.

I'm not sure if it is related but I cannot using the print button on many website. It crashes Safari.

4. 34 Posted by Meade Foster on 04 May, 2017 09:50 PM

I am having same problem. MD ver 2017.2 with OS x 10.12.4

THE PROBLEM IS WITH MONEYDANCE NOT APPLE SO FIXIT.

5. 35 Posted by dwg on 04 May, 2017 10:44 PM

Meade,

I believe your position is not wholly accurate.

Prior to this release of OSX printing largely worked on the Mac, now with no changes to Moneydance and a new release of OSX printing not longer works or takes so long to work as to be unusable.

The only conclusion that I can reasonably arrive at is that Apple has changed something in the printing subsystem or in the API. Do I expect Apple to lift a finger to resolve this - absolutely not.

So it is up to either IK to try to find a way to deal with this problem in the current implementation of Java, assuming it is possible and without breaking Moneydance on older versions of OSX or even Windows or Linux or the owners of Java i.e. Oracle to change something within Java on OSX.

In either case I do not expect it to be an easy or quick fix.

6. 36 Posted by jac on 04 May, 2017 10:57 PM

The problem with your analysis is that I am not using Sierra, still using El Capitan, and I cannot print at all
    No matter how long I wait.
    So how is that an Apple problem? IK did something to MD that broke it for both versions?
    Or Apple changed both Sierra and El Captian so that neither one works with MD printer.
    The first seems more likely to me but I am certainly no expert on programing.
    Wish I could find a better option for a different program, but MD has been the best for me.
    Jac

7. 37 Posted by dwg on 04 May, 2017 11:11 PM

Jac

There was a problem with printing on some earlier releases of OSX - perhaps even a hint of what was to come - but most users reported that setting the printer to be networked shared worked around the issue.

I believe this is a setting under preferences

Have you tried this?

8. 38 Posted by jac on 04 May, 2017 11:26 PM

If you are referring to OS X Preferences, yes our printer is shared on a network.
    Cant find anything about sharing the printer on MD preferences.
    Thanks
    Jac

9. 39 Posted by dwg on 05 May, 2017 12:01 AM

Apart form the lack of options settings, that is the only thing I have seen regarding printing on OSX.

I suspect you may be seeing a different problem on your system, not the one being experienced by Sierra users, but OSX is not where my expertise lies so I would have to leave it to others to try and help you debug the problem.

10. 40 Posted by chris on 05 May, 2017 12:08 AM

The real issue for me is printing checks - that's the most important imho. Has anyone been able to do that?

11. 41 Posted by eliot.nierman on 05 May, 2017 04:28 AM

Checks will print after about 5 minutes with the beach ball. If you don’t see the beachball try to click on the file menu and that will usually bring it up

Eliot

12. 42 Posted by Andy on 16 May, 2017 06:44 AM

I found using the copy to clipboard and then pasting into Excel worked surprisingly well.

13. Support Staff 43 Posted by Ian O on 17 May, 2017 11:33 AM

Hi All,

Please accept my apologies for the lack of update on this thread. As this problem is effecting so many customers, we have many open discussions about this issue. I wanted to ensure you have all be made aware of the most recent update posted by our lead developer, Sean Reilly. I have copied the comment below -

"There is currently a bug in Apple's sandbox container that is specific to mac OS 10.12.4 and blocks any connection we try to make to the printing system. The problem is also in the current mac OS 10.12.5 beta. We have contacted Apple with the specifics of the problem and are awaiting confirmation and a resolution, hopefully in time for 10.12.5.

The problem sometimes appears that Moneydance has completely frozen and can last for several minutes. However, Moneydance will always un-freeze and resume operation, often with a working print settings window visible, but it often takes several minutes to appear.

I've tried every workaround that I can think of and have only been able to reduce but not eliminate the delay. A version with the delay reduction will be available soon, but the delay is still a problem so we're still looking for better workarounds.

In the meantime, if you have this problem and would like to print a report or graph I recommend using the "Save" function to save reports to html or graphs to an image file, and then using the Preview app or a web browser to print the saved file."

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

14. 44 Posted by Judith Mitchell on 17 May, 2017 04:22 PM

I just installed 10.12.5 and tried printing a report. I got the twirling rainbow for several minutes, and eventually the printer was activated and I was able to print the report. It took about 5 minutes to complete this action so I don’t see any improvement.

15. 45 Posted by jac on 17 May, 2017 05:08 PM

I am using OS 10.11.6 and cannot print not even waiting for it for forever.
    Jac

16. 46 Posted by wayne on 17 May, 2017 06:56 PM

FYI: This issue is still around on 10.12.5 and also affects printing of checks. Something I do rarely, but I do have to do.

17. 47 Posted by Clark on 18 May, 2017 07:08 PM

Does anyone know if Moneydance for Mac is still being supported by Infinite Kind? It's starting to feel like Quicken at Intuit. Quicken 2017 is now made by H.I.G. Capital. I wonder if it is worth going back to. Anybody with experience with Q2017?

18. 48 Posted by jac on 18 May, 2017 11:35 PM

I tried it and it is pretty primitive.
    Back to Moneydance.
    IK is still supporting it but are waiting for Apple to fix something.

19. 49 Posted by dwg on 19 May, 2017 12:19 AM

Clark,

I suggest you refer back a few posts to #43 where IK gave a status update:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/32104-moneydance-...

20. 50 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 20 May, 2017 03:19 PM

OK, I've a question for Sean. It has been over 2 months now since the beta first came out. I have updated to 10.12.5. The bug still exists. Apple hasn't acknowledged it yet (at least you have not so indicated).

What happens if Apple doesn't fix it? What will you do to resolve the issue?

Fred

21. 51 Posted by David Lucas on 20 May, 2017 05:44 PM

I was running MoneyDance 2015 and had same issue. This is definitely related the the last MAC OS X patch which I updated on Wednesday. Thinking I just needed to upgrade to the latest MoneyDance 2017, I did and tried it again, same issue. I cannot print checks. Well, I did not wait long enough and will give that a try this time. Thanks everyone for the comments or I would still be trying to figure this out.

22. 52 Posted by VA on 25 May, 2017 11:45 PM

I'm also interested in this thread. I'm currently running El Capitan 10.11.6 on my MacBook Pro, and using MD 2012.5. The only reason I haven't upgraded to Sierra yet is because MD is my only 3rd party software, and I haven't been able to find out if my version of MD will work with Sierra, and I have several years of data invested in MD that I don't want to corrupt or lose. (I even considered changing to Quicken for Mac 2017, since it does work with Sierra, but I just found out Quicken no longer can import QIF files, only QXF, and MD can't export to QXF, only QIF!) I'll be fine with upgrading to MD 2017 if it works seamlessly with Sierra, but this printing issue seems to be unresolved. So I'm stuck in limbo! Has anyone found any other problems with MD 2017/Sierra 10.12.5 compatibility?

23. 53 Posted by Fixit Now on 26 May, 2017 12:25 PM

Money Dance still has print problems. SEE Finance software works well with no problems. It has all the features of MoneyDance and much much more.

24. 54 Posted by Bonnie Mitchell on 19 Jun, 2017 01:26 PM

Any help on the printing issue? Three more weeks have passed with no IK updates.

25. Support Staff 55 Posted by Jenny on 19 Jun, 2017 02:39 PM

Hi all,

I'm sorry again for the lack of updates on this thread. With this problem effecting anyone running an up to date Mac, we have a huge number of support discussions about this issue.

While this problem is still outstanding, I want to reassure you all that we are continuing to push for a resolution. This issue has been ongoing for much longer than we hoped, and we really appreciate your patience while we work to find a fix.

We are communicating with a contact at Apple. The problem is not something they will be fixing as it is technically a problem with Java - so this is where we are working to find a resolution.

For anyone who has purchased Moneydance 2017, you may wish to try upgrading to the latest preview release of the program. The latest preview is version 2017.3 build 1619, and can be downloaded from here.
    This new build should reduce the printing delay, however it has not been successful for everyone.
    You may find that the longer Moneydance is open, the shorter the delay should be. Using this new build, when Moneydance starts up, it begins trying to connect to the printing system straight away - in order to hopefully avoid a delay when you decide to print later.

For anyone running Moneydance 2014 or an earlier version, this is not a free upgrade and therefore we would suggest not downloading the preview at this time - as this build will not provide a full resolution.
    If you have purchased Moneydance from the App Store, then the preview version will also not be available. As soon as we have a build of Moneydance that resolves this problem fully, we will push the changes to the App Store release.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

26. 56 Posted by Wayne on 19 Jun, 2017 03:06 PM

Thanks Jenny.
    While I have enjoyed MoneyDance for the past few years, this issue is a show stopper for me. I tried to live with it, but can't. I ended up moving on or back to iBank/bantivity. It's a shame that this bug drove me to it, but users can't really be expected to wait this long for a fix.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac