Hello, EP - the hang takes place between the MD print screen and the MacOS print screen where the "Print to PDF" button comes up. So it's no help. By the time you get that far, if you do, you can print to printer OK.
- Peter Michaelson
from Warwick, RI
Sent from my iPad
Jenny on 12 May, 2017 10:49 AM
Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of consistent updates from the team on this thread. As this problem is effecting so many customers, we have many open discussions about this issue. I wanted to ensure you have all be made aware of the most recent update posted by our lead developer, Sean Reilly. I have copied the comment below -
"There is currently a bug in Apple's sandbox container that is specific to mac OS 10.12.4 and blocks any connection we try to make to the printing system. The problem is also in the current mac OS 10.12.5 beta. We have contacted Apple with the specifics of the problem and are awaiting confirmation and a resolution, hopefully in time for 10.12.5.
The problem sometimes appears that Moneydance has completely frozen and can last for several minutes. However, Moneydance will always un-freeze and resume operation, often with a working print settings window visible, but it often takes several minutes to appear.
I've tried every workaround that I can think of and have only been able to reduce but not eliminate the delay. A version with the delay reduction will be available soon, but the delay is still a problem so we're still looking for better workarounds.
In the meantime, if you have this problem and would like to print a report or graph I recommend using the "Save" function to save reports to html or graphs to an image file, and then using the Preview app or a web browser to print the saved file."
Ian O on 30 Aug, 2017 11:27 AM
I'd like to apologies again for the long wait you have all had for a solution to this issue. As previously stated we believe we are closing in on a fix for this but it has regrettably taken much longer than we anticipated. I'd like to assure you all that we are actively working on a resolution to this issue and still exploring various options, including seeking external expertise which we hope will speed things up considerably. We still consider resolving this issue our top priority and hope to have news of definitive progress in the near future.