Export Backup or Restore from Backup not working

Frank May

09 Feb, 2017 03:36 PM

Arrgh! It appears I've lost several hours of work. I just started with MoneyDance (1597), had imported a QIF file exported form SEE Finance, and was cleaning up extensive import errors. I had set MD to Sync to Dropbox Folder and was also doing File > Export Backup periodically to checkpoint my work.

I opened MD this morning and saw that balances (and underlying transactions) had reverted to some state well before the cleaned up state they were in when I finished yesterday. I'm a newbie to the syncing process and, to eliminate potential syncing problems, switched MD back to Don't Sync thinking that it would make MD operate only on what's on my Win 10 laptop.

I then restored the last manual backup I did before closing MD yesterday and found that account balances were again in some far earlier state. It looks as tho either the manual File > Export Backup yesterday didn't save the then-current state of MD, or the File > Restore from Backup this morning didn't restore the contents of that backup.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas on how to recover my seemingly-lost work.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 09 Feb, 2017 06:45 PM

Hi Frank,

A couple of things...

Syncing in Moneydance is for syncing the data file between one or more computers or a hand-help device. It is not some means of creating a backup to Dropbox.

Look to see if you set up Moneydance to create automatic backups.
    Moneydance menu bar > File > Preferences > Backups tab.

Win 10 has a built in File History backup option. If you set that up, then that would be another place to look.

-Kevin N.
    (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by Frank May on 09 Feb, 2017 07:21 PM

Kevin, thanks for the reply.

I had read in MD knowledge base articles that Dropbox was no substitute for backup and was doing periodic manual backups (File > Export Backup) yesterday to a flash drive. (I had set up Sync to Dropbox Folder for the purpose of syncing with my iPhone 6, but that wasn't working, similarly to the discussion here: http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/27417-home-page-sometimes-shows-wrong-account-totals-on-first-opening .)

My MD Preferences are set to automatically backup 5 times a day to the backup folder in the (user)\.moneydance folder. (It's handy being able to see that folder in Windows File Explorer.) I don't have the Win File History set up.

Here's an odd thing I noticed. As I cleaned up MD yesterday I would get frequent popup Dropbox notifications on my Macbook that Dropbox had been updated with MD files. When I looked at the .moneydancesync folder in Dropbox using Windows File Explorer, however, I saw only one folder (fde24f04...) date stamped a few days ago, that contained some files with that same date stamp. The incorrect account balances that opened in MD today are similar to what they were those few days ago.

I'm quite puzzled, however, why restoring this morning from the last manual backup yesterday didn't restore MD to the state it was in when I did that backup.

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 09 Feb, 2017 07:59 PM

Hi Frank,

Just to clarify, for the setting in Preferences on the Backups tab. The (5) is to set Moneydance to keep 5 backups.

It creates 1 per day at the close of the session. If the data file is accessed more than once in a day, the backup is over-written.

Have you tried restoring from one of the automatic backups as opposed to the one's that you manually exported?

-Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Feb, 2017 09:50 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

You mentioned that a side issue was that after setting to don’t sync you suspected that the .moneydancesync folder in Dropbox was still being accessed. Another user had a problem when trying to stop syncing and support Ian O posted. “The required change has been made in the latest preview version of Moneydance that can be downloaded from http://infinitekind.com/preview Now, when 'Don't Sync' is selected, the 'Shared Folder' location will be forgotten by Moneydance.” Don’t know if this will help with you main issue but I had an issue with syncing between two computers. I opened my second PC expecting it to sync to the changes I made the previous day. I didn’t. Worse, when I opened my main PC it synced back to the data on my second PC losing my previous day’s work. I have stopped using syncing for now.

Hope this helps

5. 5 Posted by Frank May on 11 Feb, 2017 01:45 PM

Kevin, thank you for the clarification. I did try restoring from the automatic backup and got the same results as restoring from the manual backup.

derekkent23, your post was quite helpful. It sounds like the three problems (yours, mine, and the other user's) could be due to the same underlying sync problem. I'll probably have to re-do the work I lost, but think if I also stop using sync until there's a stable release of MD with a fix that I'll be able to successfully back up future work.

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Feb, 2017 02:40 PM

I think you will find that if you are not syncing you should not have any problems doing a “Restore from backup” either from a manual “Export backup” or an auto backup file.

7. 7 Posted by -Kevin N. on 11 Feb, 2017 06:02 PM

Hi Frank,

I don't have the Win File History set up.

Going forward, chuck an SD Card in your laptop for File History.

-Kevin N.

8. 8 Posted by Frank May on 17 Feb, 2017 05:52 PM

Kevin, good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac