Mouse click/selection problems in Moneydance 2017 (1587) on MacOS Sierra 10.12.1

steve

31 Oct, 2016 11:28 PM

Hello,

Upgrading to MacOS 10.12.1 fixed the "hyper scrolling" problem, but another mouse problem persists for me: I can select a dropdown (for example, a Category dropdown in the register) only if I click 2 or 3 times S-L-O-W-L-Y, and sometimes that does not work. Otherwise, simply clicking on an existing registry entry in the Category (or any) column only occasionally works (meaning nothing happens more often than not - the dropdown does not appear). Also, even clicking slowly opens the dropdown of the previous registry entry or the one after the entry I want to edit. I notice that clicking anywhere in the program is sometimes slow to respond, but it's especially frustrating with dropdowns. This mouse issues started after upgrading from El Capitan to Sierra, and was present in Moneydance 2015, too (after upgrading to Sierra). I had hoped that 10.12.1 and the latest Moneydance build would fix it, but alas, no.

I haven't had any mouse problems in any other application on this Mac. I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse.

Also, is it normal for the "Backing up file" action when closing Moneydance to take between 1 and 2 minutes? My Moneydance data file is ~75MB.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. 1 Posted by Ian O on 01 Nov, 2016 11:34 AM

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about the performance issue you are experiencing. Can you try resetting your Moneydance preferences and improves thins at all? To do this, you have to rename your config.dict file. If you're using Mac OS X, it should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

or:

~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go>Go to Folder> and type in:

~/Library

This should pull up your local Library folder.

If you're using Windows, it should be located at:

C:\Users\(yourusername)\.moneydance\config.dict

Once you've found your config.dict file, close Moneydance and rename it (to something like config2.dict, for example), then open Moneydance again and it will appear as though you've just installed Moneydance for the first time, so you'll have to re-enter your license key and may have to locate and open your data set again. If you run into any problems, you can simply close Moneydance and rename the original config.dict file back to config.dict and open Moneydance again to restore your original settings.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by steve on 01 Nov, 2016 03:24 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply, Ian.

I followed your instructions and confirmed that Moneydance created a new config.dict file when I started it after I had renamed the old config.dict file. I was prompted to enter my license key again. However, I don't see an improvement in the clicking behavior I described earlier. It still takes multiple clicks to select an item in a dropdown. As I mentioned earlier, this does not happen all of the time, but it happens much more often than not.

Regards,

Steve

3. 3 Posted by Andrew on 02 Nov, 2016 07:27 AM

The only way to correct these problems is to pay to ugrade to MD2017. This does solve many of the problems but at your own cost. MD don seem to be that concerned with the customer having to upgrade to solve a problem with its software.

Also beware MD 2017 can be very SLOW

Andrew

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 02 Nov, 2016 07:33 AM

It appears that IK intend to correct some MAC OSX issues on MD 2015

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/general-questions/26643-li...

5. 5 Posted by steve on 02 Nov, 2016 03:11 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, Drew, but I'm already using Moneydance 2017. The problem also existed in Moneydance 2015. I'm pretty certain the clicking problem started with the upgrade of MacOS from El Capitan to Sierra.

Steve

6. 6 Posted by steve on 04 Nov, 2016 04:01 PM

I did some more research and have determined that the problem does not occur when I use a USB-attached mouse - only when I use my Bluetooth Magic Mouse.

Since it's only an issue in Moneydance (which is written in Java), I focused my searching on that and found that there is an open ticket on this problem (Java + MacOS Sierra + Bluetooth Mouse) here. It's not been fixed in 10.12.1.

Regards,

Steve

7. 7 Posted by Keith Koetter on 06 Nov, 2016 11:55 PM

Thanks Steve..!!

I tested my system (MB Pro w/ Magic Mouse 2), and can confirm that if I avoid using the BT Mouse and use the Track Pad instead, I no longer see this slow/unresponsive issue.

8. 8 Posted by ronmat on 11 Nov, 2016 09:14 AM

Nothing has improved my situation, the useless and strange part about it is if I turn my Magic Mouse upside down when I'm having trouble and manage to click on the appropriate area, with it inverted, it has no trouble clicking in the cell.

In desperation, after having followed the path suggested of creating a new config.dict file without success, that is to say the new file made no difference whatsoever.

I noticed that there was a new version of MD 2017 available which I promptly bought and installed, and noticed there was absolutely NO IMPROVEMENT WHATSOEVER.

Whilst Ian O appears to have been active in trying to help us users overcome the problem, he has not managed to solve the problem.

More importantly, and somewhat disappointingly and frustratingly, the IK people appear to have been sitting on their hands and not entering into the discussions whatsoever, nor have they been letting us know, on a regular basis, what they are able to do to redress the problem. If, in fact, they are trying to do anything, and if, in fact, they have been in correspondence with Apple and also perhaps Java people to elicit some sort of response from those companies.

With the way things are going, it is getting to the stage where MD is becoming unusable for me and I suspect for many other users who are getting the same problem, and have yet to report their difficulties. They are probably putting up with the problem and don't know they are not the problem.

This situation is very unsatisfactory and very disturbing. One can only hope we receive better service in the immediate future.

It is only reasonable The IK people issue a prompt update to this very disturbing problem - How about some good old-fashioned Customer Service?

9. 9 Posted by Ian O on 29 Nov, 2016 11:53 AM

Hi,

I have been in direct contact with the lead developer this morning, he has have confirmed that this behaviour is a bug and will be looking into resolving this. I have created a bug ticket for the developers to use as reference and will attach this discussion so that you are notified when this issue is resolved.

If there is anything else I can assist you with in the meantime, please let me know. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

10. 10 Posted by steve on 29 Nov, 2016 05:46 PM

Thank you, Ian. I'm happy to hear that you've identified it as a bug and will be working on it. I look forward to using my Magic Mouse again. I am curious as to whether other apps written in Java behave the same way, but I have no other apps written in Java on my Mac.

Steve

11. 11 Posted by Peter on 03 Dec, 2016 04:25 PM

I'll also add my thanks that this is going to be fixed. I've been dealing with this for months and it has become increasingly frustrated. And I also recently upgraded to MD 2017.

Please make fixing this bug a priority. It's a very annoying bug.

12. 12 Posted by aaron on 05 Dec, 2016 08:42 AM

I am having similar problems - magic mouse 2 and moneydance 2015 on iMac running OSX Sierra.

Have commented to hopefully be kept in the loop.

13. 13 Posted by Peter on 09 Dec, 2016 03:27 AM

Any idea on when the fix for this issue will be available?

14. 14 Posted by Jeff on 14 Dec, 2016 09:08 AM

Just weighing in that I have the same problem.

15. 15 Posted by Peter on 17 Dec, 2016 06:04 AM

Any updates from Moneydance on this issue?

I'm a little concerned with the lack of response. When I first started using Moneydance, responses and fixes were fairly quick. I'm getting the feeling that this isn't true anymore.

I hope that someone at Moneydance can respond with an update, since this is basic functionality that is very annoying when using the product (I hit this daily - pretty much anytime I try to reconcile downloaded transactions).

16. 16 Posted by ronmat on 17 Dec, 2016 06:27 AM

Peter,

I agree, it is very disappointing indeed.

I believe a progress report, at the very least, would be a help for the frustrated users.

Ron

17. 17 Posted by Julie on 18 Dec, 2016 07:04 PM

I too am having problems with selection/clicking. I use a mac trackpad and have just recently upgraded to Moneydance 2017. It was working well until today. It's virtually unusable.

18. 18 Posted by Andrew on 22 Dec, 2016 07:14 AM

Why are money dance not supporting its customers, there is a distinct lack of support with known issues both in MD2017 and MD2015. Im now back on 2015 so sync appears to work correctly, bar some known issues with amending data and this not being synced correctly, but where is the support for syncing on 2017 and the ongoing issue with the mouse in 2015 and 2017.

Help would be appreciated you have had our monies so please support YOUR users.

Andrew

19. 19 Posted by Deb on 29 Dec, 2016 01:09 AM

I am also having the same issue. I hope that they resolve this issue soon. I was looking to upgrade to 2017, but wait until they get this problem fixed.

20. 20 Posted by Bob Englert on 29 Dec, 2016 08:32 PM

I am also waiting for a fix for the mouse problems with Moneydance 2017 on the Mac. I find on my Macs the touchpad works fine, but the Bluetooth mouse is erratic or does not allow me to select anything at all.

21. 21 Posted by Julie Mayeda on 29 Dec, 2016 10:12 PM

I am getting emails from individuals replying to my comment. Please remove my email from the support log as I don’t want to continue receiving these emails and I think this situation is problematic for all of your customers.

Julie M.

22. 22 Posted by Keith Koetter on 29 Dec, 2016 10:55 PM

Julie,

See bottom of e-mail for unsub link...

~ Keith
    Secure e-mail by [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.ch) mobile

23. 23 Posted by dwg on 29 Dec, 2016 11:19 PM

Julie,

This sort of thing is self managed.

Using the web interface go to the message thread in the forum and select the unsubscribe button. If you never want to see emails on anything go into your profile and amend the settings there.

24. 24 Posted by Alan A on 31 Dec, 2016 10:29 PM

There are multiple support threads dealing with this same mouse error issues with Moneydance and Sierra.That's quite a few Moneydance users who are affected. It's been months since the problem was first reported. I've been using Moneydance for years and if this problem isn't fixed soon I will have to migrate to another software. I don't want to do that but Moneydance hasn't worked right since I upgraded to Sierra months ago! Although Moneydance is my first choice among the available choices, this recent lack of support for an issue that obviously affects many users is distressing. What is being done to fix the problem?

25. 25 Posted by Roland Schuller on 31 Jan, 2017 03:10 PM

Hi! I'm a Java programmer and just stumbled on this Thread. I can confirm, that this is a Problem with Mac, Java 8u40 and the Magic Mouse.
    I wrote a java application myself but since the last Java Update it doesnt no longer work correctly on Mac.
    Normally you get a MouseEvent and check Clickcount==2 for Doubleclick. But i dont get any Event and then suddenly I get clickcount=6. So here is something completly wrong. But this problem is not in the App but in Java and Mac.

26. 26 Posted by Peter on 01 Feb, 2017 06:16 AM

I get that this is a Java issue, but most of us care because it affects Moneydance. It seems that the developers at Moneydance should be trying to get this fixed in the Java code asap to make their customers happy. Right now it's a pain in the ass. I'm using a USB mouse half the time so I can workaround the problem.

27. 27 Posted by dwg on 01 Feb, 2017 07:55 AM

What I believe needs to happen is for Infinite Kind to:

1. State the current status they have with identifying the cause of this issue and what action they have taken.

If it has been identified to be Java problem:

1. Elevate the issue to Oracle. While Oracle may well tell IK to "get ..." or not even respond I still think it should be done.

2. Elevate the issue to Apple, As I believe that Apple gains monetary value by Moneydance being in the App store they could take the issue up with Oracle and they have a lot more pull than a small software house like IK and may well have a defined elevation path.

I realize that IK, if under contract, may not be able to disclose too much about any elevation, however they should be able to provide general level feedback to the users.

28. 28 Posted by allemannk on 16 Feb, 2017 06:15 PM

Not trying to pile onto IK here but I was taking MD for a test drive on my mac w/ my (yes) blue tooth magic mouse and experienced this issue. If it weren't for this issue I would have already purchased MD but reluctant because of this.

So IK, please add me to the list of those who would like to see a fix to this issue.

Kind regards

29. 29 Posted by arckon on 25 Feb, 2017 09:44 PM

I, too, am experiencing problems with mouse navigation--very poor response to clicking. I'm running MD 2017.2, build 1597, on Sierra 10.12.3. The problem is somewhat inconsistent, but all too frequent, and very annoying. And, no, it's not the mouse; I've only had this problem since installing the latest Moneydance version. This problem has been known since November of 2016, and still nothing has been done. Come on, IK--I don't want to have to hunt down another accounting program!

30. 30 Posted by gib on 25 Feb, 2017 10:07 PM

This issue is not limited to MoneyDance; it affects many application programs in Sierra (especially Firefox), and it's very annoying. So, I think it's a MacOS or Java problem, not a MD problem, and therefore I think it makes little sense to expect IK to fix it.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac