Moving MD data to NAS

mossgiel4

20 May, 2016 01:43 AM

I recently moved several database files, including MD, to a NAS. There were some minor performance issues with all the files but, except for MD, nothing of any consequence. However, in the case of MD, the performance degradation was severe, especially at start-up and exporting to backup. I have since returned the data file to an internal HDD, where it once again runs very well.

I have been unable to identify any local issue that might cause this problem (I re-created the data file and excluded MD from Kaspersky, with no success) . That observation seems to be confirmed by the fact that I have had no similar problem with any other data file. But, I do accept there may be a local issue, nevertheless.

I would appreciate comments from any folk who have run MD from data stored on a NAS, particularly if there have been any problems experienced.

I am running MD 2015.7 (1358) on Win 10 64 bit.

Kind regards
Bevan

1. 1 Posted by Cjay on 20 May, 2016 07:26 AM

Just to confirm your findings: I tried setting backups to a shared folder on another computer (as it would seem sensible to me that backups are kept on another machine)! Backups took a very long time - to backup 7.5MB of MD data took around 4 minutes of constant [6Mb/s] network activity before the program would close.

The path to this backup drive was UNC pointing at a fast SSD over a Gig-E connection capable of supporting full data rate [at least when I back up other 'large file size' stuff]. I guess the problem (in my case) is that my 7.5MB file backup is actually made up of over 6,400 small .txn files - so the many individual file transactions really bring the throughput down.

I have given up with network backup with MD - I now do these backups on program exit to a local HD and then subsequently include these files in an unrelated daily backup routine.

Regards,
    Chris

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Jenny on 20 May, 2016 02:16 PM

Hi Bevan and Chris,

We have heard from other customers who have successfully stored their data set on a NAS, however we have found that sharing the data set on a NAS with other user accounts or machines will almost certainly result in a permissions headache.

It seems logical that the transfer of the .txn files could be whats causing the issue. We may need to look into this further. The files ending in .txn are in some sense redundant but you should not delete them. They are necessary from syncing with mobile devices amongst other things. A future version of Moneydance will prune these txn files on a periodic basis which may improve performance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Cjay on 20 May, 2016 07:34 PM

Jenny,

Your input much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity I did a Wireshark analysis of the backup process. Although not an expert on the SMB2 protocol being used for the network backup, it looks as if each SMB2 write request packet generated by MD has a payload of just 1 byte - so to transfer 7.5Mbytes requires 7.5 million write packets - and as each 1 byte payload packet has an SMB2 encapsulated size of 113 bytes you can see that the network & processing overhead associated with a network backup is very significant.

Just my thoughts, I'd be happy to be proved wrong!!

Regards,
    Chris

4. 4 Posted by mossgiel4 on 21 May, 2016 01:37 AM

Hello Chris and Jenny,

Thanks, guys, for your thoughtful observations.

Jenny, I hope IK will press ahead to make MD more network friendly, especially since home networks are now very common.

My kind regards to you both.

Bevan

5. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:35 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac