Using Moneydance across a network

nickfryer1

29 May, 2013 02:25 AM

I mainly access my Moneydance data file from my laptop across a network, with the data file residing on an iMac. This has worked fine in the past and I had no problems opening the data file from either the laptop or the iMac. Recently I have encountered an error message when trying to open the data file on the iMac (Error: java.io.FileNotFoundException:) However, I am still able to work normally accessing the file across the network from my laptop. When I'm finished the data file on the iMac is showing that it's been updated. The program is not backing up, so I'm concerned that I could lose a lot of data. Two questions: How to I solve the error that's occurring on the iMac, and How do I make a manual backup on the laptop. Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 29 May, 2013 01:18 PM

Can you tell me the version of Moneydance you are running? Run Moneydance and select Help->Console Window to see the version number. Do this for the iMac and laptop.

Have you recently updated to MD2012? MD2012 moves your data to to the Library folder as part of the upgrade process. That way be why you are seeing this behavior.

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by nickfryer1 on 29 May, 2013 01:45 PM

Thanks Ben

Not at home right now so will find out version info later. However I did upgrade recently, which could well be the time when this behavior started.

Cheers
    Nick

Sent from my iPhone

3. 3 Posted by nickfryer1 on 30 May, 2013 12:30 AM

Hi Ben,

Seems I'm running 2012 on the laptop & 2011 on the iMac. I would image that upgrading the iMac would solve my problem - what do you think????

Thanks for your help. I'll shout if this doesn't solve the problem.

Cheers
    Nick

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Scott Meehan on 30 May, 2013 02:51 PM

Hi Nick,

The Moneydance data format changed from 2011 to 2012, so to share a data set between two computers, they do have to be running the same version of Moneydance. Do you know if you chose the "Convert and import" option when opening Moneydance 2012 for the first time, or the "Convert" option? If you chose "Convert and import", then your data set was moved onto your laptop into Moneydance's internal Documents folder, whereas if you chose "Convert", the new data set was stored in the same location as the previous one. If you chose "Convert" and your data set is stored in a location that's accessible by both computers, then you can upgrade from Moneydance 2011 to 2012 and use the Open Other button on the Welcome screen or the File -> Open -> Open Other menu entry in the main Moneydance window to locate the data set that you're using with in Moneydance 2012 already and open it. If your data set isn't stored in a location that's accessible by both computers now, here are instructions for moving it:

help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2012/how-to-move-your-data-file-to-a-different-location-in-moneydance-2012

Scott Meehan
    Moneydance Support

5. 5 Posted by nickfryer1 on 30 May, 2013 04:50 PM

Hi Scott

Many thanks for your reply. I feel kinda stupid but I upgraded the iMac to 2012 and everything works fine.

Thanks again

Cheers
    Nick

Sent from my iPhone

6. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 30 May, 2013 06:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac