Moneydance stopped connecting to my bank

Ed Bryant

10 Jul, 2018 04:14 AM

I started getting this error tonight:

"A communication or parsing error occurred. This could be the result of a network problem, a proxy error, or misconfigured server.
Error Description: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: No trusted certificate found"

I downloaded the latest version of the software and updated the program and still get this error. My bank is Wells Fargo.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by Ian O on 24 Jul, 2018 01:01 PM

Sorry to hear you are experiencing further issues with the Wells Fargo connection in Moneydance. Can you try re-creating your connection with your financial institution and see if that fixes the issue that you're seeing? You will need to disable your current connection to your bank and then recreate it using the New Connection button on the Online Banking Setup screen. To do so, you can follow these steps:

1. Select your bank account in Moneydance

2. Select the Online->Setup Online Banking button/menu

3. Click the "Disable" button.  If you don't see a disable button, just close the setup window.

4. Repeat the previous steps for any additional accounts at the same institution.
    5. Select the Online->Setup Online Banking button/menu (again)

6. Click the "New Connection" button and select your bank and hit OK
    7. Continue with the setup process, entering your username/password

Make sure you pick new connection, even though your bank is still one of the connection choices after you disable it. Choosing your bank from the list of available banks will force Moneydance to download the updated information, which should then allow you to connect.

Please let me know if you continue to have connection problems after recreating your connection.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 32 Posted by nick.parrella2 on 24 Jul, 2018 03:06 PM

I am still having the problem with connecting to Wells Fargo. I have downloaded the new Moneydance version 2017.7.1 and disabled all of my 3 wells fargo accounts. Then selected new connection and chose Well Fargo Bank from the list. I still get the error message and am not able to connect.

3. 33 Posted by dwg on 24 Jul, 2018 09:35 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The latest stable release (2017.7.1) does NOT have the updated certificates required for Wells Fargo.

You need to install the latest preview release (2017.8) this can be downloaded from:

http://infinitekind.com/preview

4. 34 Posted by rms364 on 25 Jul, 2018 01:17 AM

I got Ian's suggestion to work so all is ok now. thank you

5. 35 Posted by Ian O on 26 Jul, 2018 10:03 AM

Hi All,

The new stable version of Moneydance is now available for download. This is 2017.8 and can be downloaded on this page.

For those who purchased from Apple, the new version should be available via your Updates tab of the App Store.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 36 Posted by Wallygee on 31 Jul, 2018 01:28 AM

Just bought Moneydance and now find that I can't connect to my account at Wells Fargo. Followed steps here but no dice.

I get an error message telling me to visit wellsfargo.com/fmssetup but that link does not resolve to anyhing.

7. 37 Posted by jnpdonovan on 01 Aug, 2018 12:18 PM

I tried EXACTLY what IK Support recommended, and got the dreaded ERROR 400-BAD REQUEST response. Is anyone working on this? I've resorted to using the bank's web site and downloading an OFX file, but would rather have it the way it had been for lots of years.

8. 38 Posted by carolshockley on 01 Aug, 2018 12:31 PM

My connection issue with Wells Fargo was corrected with the solutions provided in this thread and is working as of today. Moneydance version is 2017.8(1691).

9. 39 Posted by EJ on 04 Sep, 2018 07:58 PM

9.4, I followed this thread and downloaded version 2017.9 (1695) from the website. I'm still getting the error below when I try to import the .qfx file. I don't use direct connect, I do the download and import manually.

Error reading file: java.io.IOException: Unexpected end of message while reading headers

10. 40 Posted by hleofxquotes on 04 Sep, 2018 08:30 PM

For direct download and import manually of Wells Fargo QFX, currently there is a problem with the formatting of the QFX file (Wells messed it up).

See this thread for a work-around:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/47315-error-readi...

11. 41 Posted by jon.d.slater on 27 Nov, 2018 12:12 AM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Moneydance stopped connecting to my bank

Just over the last week MoneyDance has been failing to connect to First Tech Federal Credit Union, with the same behavior described above for Wells Fargo.

I too have downloaded the latest version (2017.10), and upgraded, but still not working.

There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below.

Bank Name: First Tech Federal Credit Union
    Account: First Tech Dividend Rewards
    Account Number: S############

A communication or parsing error occurred. This could be the result of a network problem, a proxy error, or misconfigured server.
    Error Description: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: No trusted certificate found

12. 42 Posted by jon.d.slater on 27 Nov, 2018 12:18 AM

Same here but only on First Tech Federal Credit Union

13. 43 Posted by salinasv on 28 Nov, 2018 06:47 AM

For First Tech HandshakeException, please follow this other thread
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/online-banking/11390-ssl-i...

14. 44 Posted by G Burch on 07 Feb, 2019 02:02 PM

After upgrading to 2019.1 (1855) yesterday...
    I can't connect to Wells Fargo..

15. 45 Posted by Christian S. on 07 Feb, 2019 06:34 PM

It seems Wells Fargo is having problems today. I upgraded to 19.1 a week ago and had no problems until today.

16. 46 Posted by Jon C on 12 Feb, 2019 05:59 PM

Since upgrading to 2019, I am able to successfully connect to my credit union about every other day. Unsuccessful attempts produce the following error message:

There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below Bank Name: Boeing Employees Credit Union: communication or parsing error occurred. This could be the result of a network problem, a proxy error, or misconfigured server. Error Description: java.io.IOException Push back buffer is full.

17. 47 Posted by Geoff S on 12 Feb, 2019 08:34 PM

Same issue here when downloading from Boeing Employees Credit Union (BECU). Some attempts are successful but this 'push back buffer is full' error occurs very frequently.

On the up side, with the upgrade to 2019 at least the failed connection attempts error out immediately instead of waiting long minutes with no sign of error or activity displayed. So thanks for that change!

18. 48 Posted by Gray burch on 12 Feb, 2019 08:38 PM

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 3:34:11 PM EST, Geoff S <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

19. Support Staff 49 Posted by Sean Reilly on 12 Feb, 2019 10:16 PM

Hi Geoff and Jon,
    Would it be possible to get any more information about that "push back buffer is full" error message? That sounds like something I can possibly resolve in the Moneydance code, as opposed to the usual Wells Fargo issues which are often just their service being down.

Thanks

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

20. 50 Posted by Geoff S on 12 Feb, 2019 10:35 PM

No problem, follow up with me via e-mail

21. 51 Posted by Jon C on 13 Feb, 2019 04:36 AM

You can email me, if I can be of assistance..

22. 52 Posted by MICHELLE A KRAS... on 16 Feb, 2019 04:02 PM

I am also getting the "push back buffer is full" error when I try to connect to Boeing Employees Credit Union.

23. 53 Posted by MICHELLE A KRAS... on 16 Feb, 2019 04:04 PM

I also am gettting the "push back buffer is full" when I try to connect to Boeing Employees Credit Union.

24. 54 Posted by Jon C on 16 Feb, 2019 06:23 PM

Michelle:
    I reported the problem to Tech Support at the credit union as well and received a confirmation that they will look into this issue from their side. They can be assured that I am not the only one having the problem.

I am able to download transactions intermittently. Are you able to connect successfully at times?

25. 55 Posted by mkrasser1 on 16 Feb, 2019 11:14 PM

Hi Jon,

I had been able to connect in the past, but since I started getting this error I have not been able to connect.

Michelle

26. 56 Posted by jwchristensen on 17 Feb, 2019 03:58 AM

Michelle,

Really sorry to hear that you can't get Moneydance to retrieve your
    transactions at all. When I hear from BECU I will add a comment to the
    Moneydance blog.

Jon C

27. 57 Posted by Geoff S on 17 Feb, 2019 04:52 PM

The console output associated with the failed transaction download events is:

uh oh, we've gotten some OFX with no headers: <!DOCTYPE html> java.io.IOException: Push back buffer is full
    at java.base/java.io.PushbackInputStream.unread(Unknown Source) at java.base/java.io.PushbackInputStream.unread(Unknown Source) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.ofx.OFXConnection.readResponse(OFXConnection.java:2807) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.ofx.OFXConnection.sendMessage(OFXConnection.java:2729) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.ofx.OFXConnection.sendMessage(OFXConnection.java:2569) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.olb.ofx.OFXConnection.getTransactions(OFXConnection.java:980) at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.OnlineManager.downloadAllTxns(OnlineManager.java:522) at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.MoneydanceGUI.doNetSync(MoneydanceGUI.java:2915) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.uri.Dispatcher$UIDispatcher.run(Dispatcher.java:128) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.uri.Dispatcher$UIDispatcher.invoke(Dispatcher.java:77) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.uri.Dispatcher.invoke(Dispatcher.java:51) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.Main.showURL(Main.java:999) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.BackgroundOpsThread$DownloadAllTask.run(BackgroundOpsThread.java:204) at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.BackgroundOpsThread.run(BackgroundOpsThread.java:151)

Is there a way to obtain a more specific description of the problem with the headers, that we might be able to share with BECU support? Any log files that we can parse? A method by which we can capture the transaction data and show BECU what bits are missing?

FWIW on my machine the problem tends to be intermittent but occurs probably 70% of the time - BECU downloads fail consistently for multiple attempts, then work consistently for a short period of time, then start failing again - all within the same Moneydance session. Downloads from other institutions complete without error while the BECU downloads fail.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac