Discover Transaction Download Issues ($0 transactions and online payments going back a year)

brad.mcneely

04 Jun, 2018 11:09 PM

This is more of a nuisance than anything. I'm running Monedance 2017.7.1 (1671). When I download my Discover transactions I get two sets of unwanted items:
1. Transactions of $0.00 amounts that go back roughly 12 months.
2. Payments that go back for 12 months.
With a couple of searches for transaction amounts between 0.00 and 0.00 and a second for transaction descriptions of INTERNET PAYMENT across all date ranges I'm able to find and delete these transactions (the 0.00 transactions are meaningless and the INTERNET PAYMENT transactions are duplicates). I saw one thread from a bit ago about the $0.00 transactions and I think this is an artifact of something on the Discover side. As for the INTERNET PAYMENT transactions I'm not sure what's going on. To try to prevent downloads from going back a year I've gone under the online banking setup and clicked Reset Sync and that didn't seem to have any impact. Also, I'm not getting any other transactions, no duplicates of real transactions. Just these two. I just wanted to see if anyone could shed any light on any potential resolution or if there's anything I can do on my end that might fix this. Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 05 Jun, 2018 06:39 PM

Hi brad.mcneely,

I'm a Discover Card client.

It has been my experience that:
    1) The $0.00 transactions for a particular month will re-download if deleted.

2) For any given month the $0.00 transaction will not re-download once the next month's payment is downloaded. It is then safe to delete the prior month's $0.00 transaction. BUT with the new month comes a new $0.00 transaction.

As for the INTERNET PAYMENT transactions; are you offered the option to Merge each one with their existing counterpart payment transactions in the register? (rather than just deleting them)

Clicking on 'Reset Sync' tells Moneydance to download any and all transactions available on the Discover Card servers so you don't really want to do that in this instance.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by brad.mcneely on 13 Jun, 2018 12:48 PM

Hi Kevin,

I'm not seeing that behavior. If I delete the $0.00 transactions, when I download transactions again, I get them going back a year or so. For example. after cleaning up these from when I downloaded transactions a couple of weeks ago, when I download transactions today I see the $0.00 transactions going back to 5/30/2017. I also get the INTERNET PAYMENT transactions going back to 6/5/2017. I do get a Merge option but there are 40 of these INTERNET PAYMENT transactions that keep coming back. At this point Merging seems more tedious than deleting. I'd be willing to try the Merge idea if we think it would prevent them from returning.

Regards,
    Brad
    Moneydance 2017.7.1 (1671)
    OS X 10.13.5

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 13 Jun, 2018 01:50 PM

Hi Brad,

Q. Is your account a Discover Bank account or a Discover Credit Card account? Discover Bank accounts may behave differently from Discover Credit Card accounts.

Q. Are you downloading the data via direct-connect or manually downloading a file? If the latter; which file format?

With direct-connect, OFX or QFX file formats, I think that merging should be seriously considered, as in doing so you retain the unique identifier contained in each downloaded transaction so as to help prevent duplicate transactions.

Try it on a few transactions at first to see if it works.

4. 4 Posted by brad.mcneely on 21 Jun, 2018 08:48 PM

Hi Kevin,

It's a Discover credit card and for the Moneydance Online Setup I'm using the Discover Card direct connection. I just downloaded a new batch of transactions and got the $0.00 transactions going back a year from the download date as well as all of the internet payments going back a year from the download date as well. I tried the Merge to match the downloaded payment with the existing one. I'll see how it goes when I download again in a few days to see what happens. Thanks.

5. 5 Posted by brad.mcneely on 02 Jul, 2018 10:50 PM

Hi Kevin,

Downloaded today and only one INTERNET PAYMENT. Doing the MERGE on the earlier ones did the trick. Thanks for that.

6. 6 Posted by -Kevin N. on 03 Jul, 2018 01:11 PM

Hi Brad,

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that it helped.

Thank you for reporting back with your results.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

19 Aug, 2018 11:11 AM
19 Aug, 2018 10:22 AM
19 Aug, 2018 04:54 AM