On-Line account transaction downloading password memory retention

Bob Dietz

26 Apr, 2018 07:14 PM

Your direct connect links with banks etc, has always allowed "automatic" direct connection between the users PC and the financial suppliers computer listed for direct transaction downloads. Love that feature BUT now my MD software (2017.5) makes me enter the password manually each time even though I carefully entered it during the On-line set up procedure. Older MD versions remembered the sign in and made the process much faster and cleaner - - Can that be changed back so the password is retained? - Do I have some option that needs to be checked? It's a nuisance to have to type it in each time, since even the cut and paste function will not work for passwords ! - - - Help please

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 26 Apr, 2018 10:03 PM

I'm a fellow user.

It sounds like you have either not set up a master password or have not selected the option to retain banking passwords. Look at the menu item File --> Passwords

2. 2 Posted by RODietz on 27 Apr, 2018 04:50 PM

Thanks - you were right I hadn’t set the check for retain passwords -

Now all direct downloads work except for my Capital One credit card - can’t find a workable listing in the MD bank list that will work (several say capital one but none work for their credit cards)
    Know anyone that solved that problem ?

3. 3 Posted by TonyRI on 27 Apr, 2018 05:57 PM

Capital One Credit Cards do not offer direct connect. You will have to manually download the transactions list from the web site. You can download transactions with a date range and various formats. I usually use OFX. Once you select the download option from the web page, a popup window will appear in MD to map/verify the linked account.

Regards,

Tony
    (Not from IK Support)

4. 4 Posted by RODietz on 27 Apr, 2018 07:03 PM

Thanks - I found that out the hard way and have used a web connect download followed by file import ever since BUT Capital One says they do allow direct connect but they say MD just hasn’t set up the interface protocol necessary to allow it’s customers to get on to their direct link! - - MD says that’s not their job and the Bank should do it since their protocol is the same as Quicken - - each side points to the other (just like politics) and nothing gets done! However I had Quicken on a PC for years until I saw the light and went Apple - Quicken didn’t - so now I have and love MoneyDance!
    Bob D

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 27 Apr, 2018 09:00 PM

I'm a fellow user.

There are two protocols used for the automatic download of transactions one is Direct Connect and the other is Web Connect.

Direct Connect was developed by a consortium of organisations and is an open standard product. I.e it can be freely used by anyone. This is the protocol that Moneydance supports - as does some other financial software packages including Quicken

Web Connect is a "lighter" protocol in that it only supports downloads, which for many is fine, however it was developed by Quicken and is owned by them and has not been made public, hence can only be used by Quicken products or those that Quicken would agree to license after I'm sure receiving money from.

To the user both protocols look like they are doing the same thing, but in fact they work differently and use different systems, if your bank uses Web connect then you are limited in the software you can use to perform automatic downloads.

6. 6 Posted by RODietz on 01 May, 2018 07:54 PM

Thanks dwg - - My problem starts with trying to find “Capital One Bank”, the credit card bank, on the list of institutions that MD links with - the optional list offered is very long and complete and even contains a couple with the words Capital One but none that represents the Capital One credit card bank so while Capital One says it does allow direct connect, I can not get our MD software to install our bank account user ID and password - at least not with the usual pull down selection process associate with “setting up on-line banking” Not a listed Financial Institutions (See screen shot below!)

7. 7 Posted by Ian O on 02 May, 2018 09:10 AM

Hi Bob,

I'm afraid Capital One don't support Direct Connect services for their credit cards accounts. My understanding is they only support Web Connect. It sounds like you might have been given less than accurate information from your bank rep.

If Capital One Credit Cards decided to support Direct Connect services, we would be more than happy to set up a connection. In an ideal world all banks would support Direct Connect.

When a bank supports Direct Connect, their connection information is usually readily available. I've looked, just in case they have added this recently, but I'm unable to locate any connection information for Capital One Credit Cards.

However, if your bank insist they support Direct Connect perhaps you can obtain the following information from them to setup a connection in Moneydance -

OFX server URL
    OFX Institution ID
    OFX Institution ORG

If you can get these details above from your bank then we should be able to get this setup for you. Without these details, we'll be unable to add them to our list of supported financial institutions.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

8. 8 Posted by RODietz on 02 May, 2018 02:10 PM

Thank You - I’ll check with them again and get back to you with their reply
    Bob Dietz

9. 9 Posted by RODietz on 10 May, 2018 05:53 PM

I finally got into discussion with Capital One’s tech support computer people (at least as high as they’d let ME go) and was told that they do connect with Quicken and with Microsoft Money in OFX directly and are listed n their software as a selectable Bank option for downloading transactions directly into the appropriate account They said they could not give me the OFX server info you suggested I ask for but probably could work directly with Infinite Kind, tech to tech, in order to establish the connection or at least better understand why it isn’t an option for your customers. Hope you can give that a try - might work for all of us - and that’s better than changing either my credit card company or financial software supplier - right!
    Please Let me know how you make out
    Bob

10. 10 Posted by Ian O on 14 May, 2018 09:13 AM

Hi Bob,

I'm more than happy to contact Capital One to see if they do support Direct Connect. I have looked at their listings for Quicken and can only see Express Web Connect as a possible connection method. Did you speak with anyone in particular at your bank? If you have some direct contact information, this might speed things up a little.

I'm not sure why, if they do support this feature, they would be unwilling to provide what should be publicly available connection information. As I've said, I'll contact Capital One as we ideally would have all banks available for connection but I just want to make sure you know what I've found.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

11. 11 Posted by RODietz on 14 May, 2018 09:37 PM

I do not have a specific name for you - I started by phone (800-227-4825) with tech help and quickly jumped up to someone smarter than the first layer of help to a supervisor but I did not get a name since I could not get much satisfaction from that layer as well - Said hey work with Quicken and Microsoft Money and do provide a soft link between the pc software application and their bank data directly. Not sure wether they call it web connect or direct connect but they did assure me that the interface is direct and NOT simply downloading a transaction file in OFX so that the user (customer) can then import that file from his listing of download files up into his application software (Quicken/Money) to be linked with the appropriate account. They also said they never heard of Money Dance so I assured them it was the best financial software available for the Apple platform and that they are missing the boat if they don’t get on board! I’m hoping that they will take your call more seriously since you represent interest from hundreds of combined customers where I am just one ! - Good luck, hope it leads to success

12. System closed this discussion on 13 Aug, 2018 09:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac