How far back?

Janjay H Sherman

21 Mar, 2018 04:44 PM

Once you sync your bank account, how far back can you categorize your transactions? I'm looking to see what I spent my money on from 2017.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 21 Mar, 2018 05:33 PM

Hi Janjay,

That depends on how much data your financial institution (FI) provides.

Many (not all) Fi's only provide 60~90 days of data for direct-connect downloads.

Almost all FI's provide for manual downloads of data which can provide a much broader time frame worth of data.

Moneydance can manually import OFX, OFC, QFX and QIF file formats into Bank, Credit Card and Investment accounts. It can also import formatted CSV and TXT files into Bank and Credit Card accounts.

Once your data is imported and categorized, you can run either of the Income & Expenses reports to garner your spending amounts for 2017.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by Janjay Sherman on 21 Mar, 2018 06:31 PM

Hi Kevin,

My bank provides pdf bank statements for up to three years so I have access
    to 2017.

Would I be able to import the pdf to be categorized?

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 21 Mar, 2018 06:50 PM

Hi Janjay,

Importing a pdf file if at all possible would be very complicated. It would involve copying and pasting the transaction data to a different file (spreadsheet or word processor), saving the file as a CSV file, formatting the CSV file and eventually importing the CSV file.

Does your FI provide any other means of downloading your data; such as the one's I referenced in my prior reply?

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac