BUG: Moneydance intersperses downloaded transactions between 2 credit cards at the same bank

Charles Dial

05 Jan, 2018 04:23 PM

I have business and personal credit cards with the same bank. Each card at this bank has a different userid and PW . Moneydance insists on using the same passwords on both credit cards even though separate userids and passwords have been set up for the two credit cards. This guarantees that one of the download requests will have invalid login credentials and hence will fail.

This bug is consistent across both the Windows 10 and Linux platforms. Because Moneydance was built using Java, I would expect the same bug to be present in the Apple version of Moneydance as well.

I give MoneyDance high accolades for using an object-oriented design rather than just propagating Quicken's spaghetti code tangle. I severely miss Quicken's far superior reporting options for sure, but I am dropping Quicken because I don't want my financial data stored on a Ukrainian cloud server.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 05 Jan, 2018 05:17 PM

Hi Charles,

The wife and I each hold a separate credit card account at the same financial institution. (different user ID's and passwords) We each hold 2 bank accounts (savings & checking) at our bank.

There is no problem with downloading to the separate accounts at either financial institution.

You have to be careful when running the 'Set Up Online banking' routine not to cross-map your accounts.

Disable online banking for both accounts and run the routine again. Take your time. If you bypass any of the required selections, your account will not map to the proper account.

Safe computing 101 dictates to be sure that you have a copy or working backup of your data before making any major changes.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by Charles Dial on 05 Jan, 2018 05:44 PM

Kevin,

Thanks for your input. The more I think about it, it looks like the problem
    is with the bank because what you are saying is quite reasonable. Despite
    the bank in question being one of the biggest banks in the world I have run
    into a lot of sloppy workmanship in its web site's construction.

Charles E. Dial
    Crafting software for half a century

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 05 Jan, 2018 06:04 PM

Hi Charles,

They probably can't afford high quality coders due to those high interest rates that they pay to their clients. < snark >

What's the name of the Bank? Maybe some other user here can chime in with their insights.

-Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 05 Jan, 2018 07:59 PM

They can't afford to pay for programming because of those big fat executive bonuses :)

5. System closed this discussion on 06 Apr, 2018 08:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac