Chase credit card QIF files do not import because they are incomplete.

Jake

13 Mar, 2017 09:00 PM

Hello,

I'm a veteran Moneydance user of about six years, and this problem is a first. I'm trying to import transactions from my chase.com credit card, and my Moneydance file is only importing a single transaction, not all of the transactions in the specified date range. Instead of a direct import, I downloaded the transactions from chase as a QIF file and opened that file in Notepad to verify that all the transactions are there. The file shows all of the data for all of the transactions, but Moneydance only imports the first transaction in the file when I ask Moneydance to import the file. Thanks for the help!

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by Stephen Leibowi... on 28 Apr, 2017 07:56 PM

There are several threads on the Internet about the problem with Chase.com credit card activity downloads in the QIF format. I suspect that for every Chase customer who complains on the Internet about it, there are many others, perhaps thousands, that also have the problem.

Continue Reading in the Attached File.

2. 32 Posted by Danelle on 28 Apr, 2017 08:07 PM

I have now talked to Chase twice. Both times they seemed unaware of the problem. Is there anyone at Quicken or Moneydance that can escalate this to someone who actually can do something?

3. 33 Posted by dwg on 28 Apr, 2017 09:23 PM

The owner of Moneydance is a fairly small software house, I would not expect them to have any contacts with a Bank like Chase or to indeed have any influence with any financial institution. Customers are the only ones likely to have any influence as they can take their business elsewhere, but it often takes a large noisy bunch of customers to make a large bank take notice.

I would not expect anyone here to know about Quicken however that software was sold by Intuit in 2016 to a venture capital company, while I would expect Intuit to have had sufficient "influence" to get something fixed, for many years Intuit had been trying to get rid of QIF and as part of this restricting its "support" within Quicken so I would not expect them to care if QIF worked or not and would just say to use QFX files. As for a venture capital company, their only real interest is how to make a quid out of the company.

So lots of noisy customers would seem to be the only way to get this fixed.

4. 34 Posted by walemly on 08 May, 2017 06:05 PM

I tried a Chase QIF download again today and it is still broken and omits the carat (^) end of transaction character. I've contacted Chase no less than six times through phone calls, secure messages, email, and direct Twitter messages. I think it's past time that we take to social media to get this message out and I'm asking those of you with Twitter accounts to tweet the following message:

@Chase QIF trans downloads fail since 3/17 and Support won't listen. Get Citibank which does QIF right. #ChaseQIFfail @ChaseSupport

Those without Twitter should set up an account and tweet the above and do the same on Facebook if you use it.

Thanks for your help. Maybe if we get the message out there enough, Chase will do something. I'm told by my brother that Citibank's QIF transaction downloads work correctly so I'm considering changing my credit card provider although I really don't want to.

Alan Lemly

5. 35 Posted by walemly on 11 May, 2017 08:17 PM

Hi folks. For those who are interested in expressing their dissatisfaction with Chase and its failure to correct their bad QIF transaction files, you might wish to vote with your pocketbook as I have. I found the Citi Double Cash Card which as good rewards and no annual fee. My brother also informs me that Citi's QIF download transaction files are to specification unlike Chase's. I signed up for one of these last night and the process could not have been easier. The rewards it pays are 1% of your charges and 1% of your charge card payments for a total of 2%. You can read more at this link if interested:

http://www.comparecards.com/credit-card/double-cash?source=adwords&campaign=736193275&grp=38903001499&content=172483986184&medium=search&kw=double%20cash%20back%20review&kwid=kwd-104599546368&kmt=b&ext=&pla=&tar=&pos=1t2&acqs=prospecting&net=g&dev=c&geol=9013876&intl=&c3=&bdst=cpc&gclid=CjwKEAjwl9DIBRCG_e3DwsKsizsSJADMmJ11zZgjF-Gm2hJzvlSIS3flqAZ3KmKZyKZjIoLoDFFv1hoCEZrw_wcB

Alan Lemly

6. 36 Posted by walemly on 18 May, 2017 08:11 PM

I have a workaround for those who are sticking with Chase and want an easy way to correct their Chase QIF file downloads so they are to specification. As discussed in the thread above, these QIF files are not being created correctly by Chase since sometime beginning in March, 2017. Specifically, the Chase QIF files are writing a carriage return line feed twice without placing a ^ symbol between them to mark the end of the transaction. These improperly written QIF files fail when you attempt to import them into financial software using QIF files. The best way to correct them is to use a hex editor and I've found an excellent hex editor named HXD which can be downloaded for free here:

https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

You can read about it at the Gizmo's free software site here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/hxd.htm-0

With HXD, open the bad Chase QIF file. The default presentation of that file will show both hex and text on the screen. From the Search menu, select Replace. In the dialog box which opens, select hex values in the data type drop-down box. In the search for box, type 0D 0A 0D 0A as these are the hex values of the carriage return line feed values Chase is writing twice. In the Replace with box, type 0D 0A5E 0D 0A which are the hex values of carriage return line feed ^ carriage return line fee. As you've no doubt figured out, the hex value of the carat & symbol is 5E. Select All for the search direction and execute the Replace all button at the bottom. Be sure to save this edited file when exiting the QIF file you've just edited in the HXD hex editor. The nice thing about HXD is that the next time you open it, it will remember the default e search and replace values so editing the bad Chase QIF files will be very easy going forward for as long as they continue to produce these failed QIF files. I'm going to send one more secure message to Chase Online and explain yet again what they need to do to correct their errant QIF files and hoe that they will indeed correct their process.

Thanks for bearing with my posts and I hope this one is helpful.

Alan Lemly

7. 37 Posted by walemly on 18 May, 2017 08:29 PM

I forgot to add in my last post that if you choose to edit the bad QIF Chase files just discussed in the previous post using the HXD hex editor, to make sure you know what you're doing before doing this. You can make a real mess of things with a hex editor if you don't know what you're doing and don't take care.

Alan Lemly

8. Support Staff 38 Posted by Ben Spencer on 18 May, 2017 09:25 PM

I am curious, why use a hex editor to edit a QIF file. What went wrong when you tried a text editor?

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

9. 39 Posted by dwg on 18 May, 2017 10:01 PM

Ben,

If your text editor cannot handle carriage returns and line feeds in its find & replace capability then using an editor that does can allow for a global substitution of all the instances in one go.

Des

10. 40 Posted by Stephen Leibowi... on 18 May, 2017 10:28 PM

The idea is to search for the blank lines where the caret character should be, and replace them. The search string is two consecutive end-of-lines. Figuratively, it is “End-of-LineEnd-of-Line”. My approach, from my website, uses “regular expressions.” The hex character approach by Alan Lemly is a fine alternative.

Below is an example. It shows the last line of data in a record (a 25.00 charge). On the left side, it is followed by a valid end of record symbol (the caret ^ character). On the right, we see the Chase error (the caret ^ is missing).

Correct     Chase Error
    -------     -----------
    T-25.00     T-25.00
    ^           (blank line)

Some text editors allow you to work with “regular expressions.” Using regular expressions, the DOS/Windows end-of-line is “\r\n”. The full search string in the broken Chase file is “\r\n\r\n”. The replacement string adds the caret: “\r\n^\r\n”. A regular expressions text editor will allow you with one command to search for and replace all the occurrences of the search string in the broken file.

If you only have a few transactions to fix, using regular expressions is overkill. It would be sensible to manually add the caret to each transaction.

11. 41 Posted by walemly on 19 May, 2017 05:18 AM

I was using Notepad to edit the QIF files and although I could place the carat (^) where I thought it went, I felt much better using a hex editor that would let me place it exactly where it went between the pair of carriage return line feeds in the Chase QIF file not written to specification. Now that I'm using the HXD hex editor, I can do editing in one fell swoop and it also remembers the default find and replace values.

Alan Lemly

12. 42 Posted by Vincent on 20 May, 2017 01:50 AM

Same problem here. still hoping for a workable solution. Importing as a CSV file doesn't seem to be functioning.

13. 43 Posted by Scott Buchanan on 20 May, 2017 11:48 AM

On Fri, May 19, 2017, 9:50 PM Vincent <[email blocked]<mailto:tender%[email blocked]>> wrote:

14. 44 Posted by -Kevin N. on 20 May, 2017 12:14 PM

Hi Vincent,

Have you tried importing the QFX file format from Chase?

Also, the CSV file format requires that you use the Text Importer extension.

-Kevin N.
    (not a member of MD support)

15. 45 Posted by Vincent on 25 May, 2017 01:52 AM

Kevin...
    the QFX file actually worked..thanks for that lead!

V

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac