Payee not shown in download.

frank

11 Dec, 2018 02:35 PM

My wife insists on writing checks manually and when I download my transactions no payee is shown. Instead ck# xxxx is displayed as the payee.

Sometimes when the check is cashed by a big business (Credit Cards, Verizon, etc) that name will show under the memo field, but the payyee field still says ck# xxxx.

So every month I spend time manually correcting the transaction to add the payee and the category.

Do all banks have this drawback, or do some banks do a better job in this regard?

Thanks,
Frank

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 12 Dec, 2018 02:47 AM

mine does the same. Large payees who receive checks will have the payee noted after the check number, probably because of the electronic process they use when they deposit the check. Others just have the check number. Shows the same on the statement.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 12 Dec, 2018 04:33 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Cheque reading hardware can only read the MICR encoding on the bottom of the cheque, so handwriting or even typing on cheques is invisible to it. So any cheques processed in this way have limited available information, basically just processed date, CHQ #, amount ,and bank/branch/account # it is drawn on.

3. 3 Posted by frank on 12 Dec, 2018 04:41 PM

Thanks, everyone,

I was hoping that some banks might have solved this problem, but I guess not yet.

Frank

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 12 Dec, 2018 08:04 PM

I really cannot see any bank ever trying to decrypt the writing on cheques, given a cheque is basically just an image in this context it would have to be some sort of character recognition and trying to do that with handwriting is pretty error prone.

5. 5 Posted by frank on 12 Dec, 2018 11:58 PM

True, but somewhere in the chain of events there is likely an electronic record of the payee's name who cashed the check. Be nice if that could be fed back to the check writer's bank. Although it's probably not that simple, but maybe someday they can figure it out.
    Frank

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac