Online Connecting Problem

brian.dobbie

07 Dec, 2018 06:48 PM

Help please. I'm at my wits end! I've called Chase twice and they insist there is nothing that they can do. I've been downloading and doing bill pay for quite some time with no problems then suddenly I can't get anything to work. I deleted the online connections and re-did them and still nothing. I am getting this message (which takes a while to appear): "A communication or parsing error occurred. This could be the result of a network problem, a proxy error, or a misconfigured server. Error Description: Java.net.socketTimeoutException: Read timed out"

I am now behind a lot of transactions and depend on this to remember to pay bills. I need to get this working again.

Chase insists there are no blocks or anything wrong on their end.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 07 Dec, 2018 07:04 PM

Hi brian.dobbie,

I'm a Chase Visa client. I'm not having any issue with connecting to Chase Visa.

Something that you can try on the Chase website, is to make sure that your account(s) are still authorized for 'Desktop apps'.
    To do so, log on to the Chase website.
    In the upper right-hand corner, click on the head-and-torso icon.
    Select 'More Settings'.
    From the list that appears on the left, scroll down and click on 'Desktop apps'.
    My accounts are already authorized so I just get a message indicating as such.
    Hopefully you can reauthorize your accounts and get this resolved.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by brian.dobbie on 07 Dec, 2018 07:12 PM

Thanks KevinN.

That was the first thing that Chase had me check and all indicators there say I still have access. No secure Chase messages to reply to for authorization or anything. Very frustrating.

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 07 Dec, 2018 07:16 PM

Hi Brian.

Frustrating indeed!

Are you able to connect to other financial institutions? Is it just Chase?

4. 4 Posted by brian.dobbie on 07 Dec, 2018 07:32 PM

Hi Kevin,

My Retirement account outside of Chase is downloading and I noticed that my Chase Visa is downloading but not my mother's checking that I manage at Chase or mine at Chase are not.

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 07 Dec, 2018 07:46 PM

Hi Brian,

I was thinking that maybe a firewall setting may be blocking Moneydance to your Chase connection but if you can connect to other financial institutions as well as Chase Visa then that rules that out.

There may some setting that is 'stuck' in your current data file. Something that you could try to check on this theory is to create a new data file, set up your Chase account and see if it works with the new data file.

If it does work in the new data file, I believe that there is a python script offered by MD support that completely removes an existing banking connection from a data file. Running it on your current data file may 'un-stick' whatever's 'stuck'. You should then be able to re-run the 'Set Up Online Banking' routine for Chase.

6. 6 Posted by brian.dobbie on 07 Dec, 2018 08:26 PM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I created a new data file and tried to set up and connect to just checking and it will not do it.

7. 7 Posted by -Kevin N. on 07 Dec, 2018 08:50 PM

Hi Brian,

Damn!

This has now gone beyond the scope of my knowledge. I'm going to have to yield to the support staff to help you further.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

I'll be curious to hear what the final outcome is.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Henry on 08 Dec, 2018 01:06 AM

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately i have to confirm that there is an issue with bill pay through Chase and we haven't been able to come to the bottom of it.
    We are waiting for a confirmation of a customer who opened a service case with instructions from our lead developer, to find out why the error message appears.
    We stepped through and it did seem clear that Chase's response was stopping (and freezing the download thread) right in the middle of the list of payees associated with the account. When we tried to show the list of payees in the Chase web site it also yielded an error, so it seems clear that the error is on Chase's side for now.

I will inform you as soon as I know more.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

9. 9 Posted by brian.dobbie on 11 Dec, 2018 12:12 PM

Hi Henry,

I hope maybe you have a different "in" with Chase than I do. Calling their financial software support people (for lack of what to call them) is pretty useless for me. They won't acknowledge any issues.

Just for another piece of information, I regrettably downloaded a trial of another software out of desperation to get back to tracking my finances (I'm a financial analyst so this is driving me a little crazy) and the only account it will set up from Chase is a credit card. The trial is wide open so this tells me it's clearly not just a Moneydance issue so I'm not leaving. I wish it wasn't such a pain to change Banks - I'd leave Chase.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac