Repeated download of same item

d.hercher

05 Aug, 2018 02:24 AM

After posting this comment, I came up with a possible solution to this problem, which I've added to the end of this comment.

When I receive a net salary deposit, I make a split entry showing the gross payroll and all the deductions to arrive at the net amount. When my monthly net payment is the same as a prior month's, and the deductions from gross are the same, I've started using MD's Duplicate Transaction feature to copy a prior month's split entry and giving it the date of the new entry. For example, after making the split entries for a 7/1 payment and receiving an 8/1 payment in the same net amount (with the same deductions), I use Duplicate Transaction to copy the 7/1 entry and change its date to 8/1. I then have two 8/1 entries, the split one that I copied from 7/1 and the 8/1 nonsplit entry that came from the invoking the Download Transactions feature. So, I delete the nonsplit entry, leaving the split entry.

But when I next invoke Download Transactions, the 8/1 nonsplit entry is downloaded, so I again have two duplicate 8/1 entries for the same net deposit.

If I manually turn the downloaded 8/1 entry into a split entry, it is recognized as having been downloaded and not be downloaded again. But the 8/1 entry created by invoking Duplicate Transaction from the 7/1 entry is not recognized as being the 8/1 entry. So, it seems that the Duplicate Entry function is essentially unavailable to me. That's quite disappointing, because each of my payroll stubs have quite a few entries, and it would be a great time-saver to be able to use the Duplicate Transaction feature.

Am I missing something? Is there a way for me to be able to delete the downloaded nonsplit 8/1 entry without it being downloaded again when I next invoke Download Transactions? Thanks.

After posting this comment, I see that I can use the Unconfirmed Merge option to merge the downloaded nonsplit 8/1 entry with the Duplicate Transaction 8/1 entry (copied from 7/1), after which the Download Transactions function no longer downloads the 8/1 entry. I think that's doable. Is there any easier approach? Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 05 Aug, 2018 03:29 AM

I'm a fellow user.

When you use the automatic automatically download of transaction capability that is in Moneydance, behind the scenes is it using the OFX specification. This specification defines a unique transaction ID that the financial institution assigns to each transaction (or the computer systems do) moneydance stores this ID with the transaction and by comparing this to the transactions subsequently sent the software knows what transactions it already has loaded ans can discard.

Only by saving the downloaded transaction or merging it with an existing transaction is the ID able to be saved, deleting the downloaded transaction will just cause it to be downloaded again next time and displayed for your action.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac