Stock price updater

Paul Smith

01 Jan, 2018 04:00 PM

I've noticed that none of my stock prices are updating for some reason. They all result in an error. They worked fine for years. What's going on and how do I fix it?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 01 Jan, 2018 05:09 PM

Hi Paul,

Yahoo finance and Google pulled the plug on their quote servers. Yahoo still provides quotes but not through the Quotes & Exchange Rates updater extension.

What version of Moneydance are you using?

There are a couple of options depending on the version.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by Paul Smith on 01 Jan, 2018 06:15 PM

Thanks, Kevin. I'm using MoneyDance version 2014.5 (980). What do you suggest I do?

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 01 Jan, 2018 09:00 PM

Hi Paul,

Take a look at this free tool from forum member hleofxquote.

It requires Java, so you'll need to install that if you haven't done so already.

You'll need to add your ticker symbols (a one-time process) to either of two tabs (Yahoo2 or FT) depending on where to glean your quotes from.

After receiving the quotes, the tool can save the downloaded data as a QIF file that you then import into Moneydance.

Here's a link to the tool
    https://github.com/hleofxquotes/hleofxquotes/tree/master/dist
    Click on the hleOfxQuotes-gui-Build_20171230_170.zip link, then click the 'Download' link.

There's a Readme there too.

Let me know how it works for you OK?

There is one other extension that forum member Mike Bray wrote that can import a CSV file of quotes (if that's something that you may be interested in, let me know and I'll provide the links to it.)

-Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by Paul Smith on 01 Jan, 2018 09:38 PM

Thanks again, Kevin. I have a lot of stocks. Is there a solution where I don't have to re-enter all the stocks? Like, if I upgrade to MD 2017 will it automatically work with my current data?

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 01 Jan, 2018 10:05 PM

Hi Paul,

The Q&ER updater (currently v.1012) has been updated to work with AlphaVantage when using MD 2017.

Some users are reporting errors with the data from AlphaVantage.

Some users are reporting that mutual fund prices are not supplied until late at night or early morning.

Some users are reporting issues with Pence vs. Pound pricing.

Exchange rates may or may not be an issue. TBH, I'm not involved with them.

It may be worth your while to try hleofxquote's tool before committing to the upgrade.

-Kevin N.

6. 6 Posted by Paul Smith on 02 Jan, 2018 03:26 AM

Well, I tried updating to the 2017 version. Not only did that not work, but now I can't figure out how to sync my data across my computer and my wife's computer, which I used to do by saving the data file to a shared Dropbox folder. Ugh. Is there a way to get someone from Moneydance on the phone to talk me through this?

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Jan, 2018 10:57 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Take a look at this thread and the attached PDF at http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...
    If you need a relatively easy method of extracting stock symbols from Moneydance post in that thread.
    As for syncing data between computer 2017 user a completely new syncing method, see http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data if you have any problems setting it up just post.

Hope this helps.

8. System closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2018 11:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac