Issue Alphavantage - Updating Quotes

UweG

01 Dec, 2017 08:31 AM

I tried the quote update route via Alphavantage, however get the following error message:

sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: No trusted certificate found

I am using MD version 2017.3 on Mac.
Please help.
Thx

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 01 Dec, 2017 09:29 AM

You require Moneydance 2017 build 1650 as a minimum to use Alpha Vantage.

This means that you need to use a preview build:

http://infinitekind.com/preview

2. 2 Posted by UweG on 01 Dec, 2017 11:31 AM

Top - all works as expected !!

3. 3 Posted by Chris on 01 Dec, 2017 11:34 AM

I'm trying out Alpa Advantage, my ETF prices fluctuate between high and low values. (The low prices are correct, I suspect the high ones are quotes in a different currency.)

Try ticker VHYL, stock exchange "London Exchange (GBP)" as an example. The prices should be in the neigbourhood of 42, but for some days comes in the neighbourhood of 56.

Edit: have attached the .csv file that comes from pasting the link to alpha advantage into a browser.

4. 4 Posted by Chris on 01 Dec, 2017 11:37 AM

Sorry, meant to post this in a different thread. Will look for a more appropriate place.

5. 5 Posted by Chris on 01 Dec, 2017 12:45 PM

It appears that Alpha Vantage is getting it's prices from Yahoo, as when I look in Yahoo I get the same data errors there. In the past I had problems with Yahoo historical data in that they tended to switch currency used to record a price from one day to the next, which is why I switched to Google.

So my conclusion is that Alpha Vantage is no use to me, because it uses Yahoo data, which has had this problem for years without being fixed. (This is for Vanguard UK ETFs, so hardly an obscure security that Yahoo can't be bothered to track properly.)

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 01 Dec, 2017 07:55 PM

I would suggest it is more likely that AlphaVantage is getting its data from the same source as Yahoo does in this instance. Neither service is an originator of data they are just aggregating data obtained from elsewhere.

7. 7 Posted by Chris on 02 Dec, 2017 08:55 AM

You'd think though that if data was coming unmodified from a single primary source, whose central business was selling data, it would be right. It looks like whoever is aggregating it is combining quotes from different exchanges without regard to the fact the quotes are in different currencies.

Google manages to get the data right, though as far as I can see their historical data is now only available via functions in Google sheets. (And you can't save the sheet to a .csv, it blanks out the data when you do.) I've resorted to cutting and pasting a year's worth of history for the few ETFs that matter into Excel spreadsheets, so I can save those as .csv files and import them to Moneydance.

8. 8 Posted by Chris on 02 Dec, 2017 09:14 AM

Now that I've finished complaining and devoted a few minutes to looking for other data sources, quandl.com is looking very good. You need to be signed in to download data, but once signed in you can select from a large number of exchanges the search for a security, having found it you can download the data in a variety of formats (including excel and .csv) for free.

9. 9 Posted by dwg on 02 Dec, 2017 09:28 AM

Chris,

I had a look at Quandl and though it could be a good additional source to include in the Q & ER extension, however I noted that it is also incomplete, the ASX is one of the world's top 16 stock exchanges and therefore a member of the trillion dollar club however even under Quandl's premium service it appears to only include some of its indicies.

10. 10 Posted by Chris on 02 Dec, 2017 09:43 AM

If no one source works for everything, we may need multiple sources.

At one point I found different providers worked best for different securities, so it might even be the case that we need to set data source by security. (Though that would be a bigger change than just having multiple sources, which looks like it would now work for me, if Quandl were one of them.)

11. 11 Posted by Chris on 09 Feb, 2018 05:26 PM

Quandl have stopped supporting LSE as of the end of January 2018.

12. 12 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Feb, 2018 10:20 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Hi Chris
    I am currently using a stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is actively supporting this software which now works with Moneydance. More feature in the pipeline. This current build as far as I can see is very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices. It has a lot of useful features. These include, obtaining prices from many stocks and fund quoted on different exchanges. The ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. Importing exchange rates.
    I entered the symbol you gave as an example in an earlier post and the program returned a quote, see screen shot.
    Anyway, here is a link the relevant thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...
    Download the attached PDF, use the links in the PDF to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Hope this helps

13. System closed this discussion on 12 May, 2018 10:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac