New thread on MoneyDance cannot get stock/MM prices. Is this the end for MoneyDance?

thedanc

30 Nov, 2017 06:37 PM

I'm starting a new thread because the older threads seem to be dead. No response at all on this vital issue.

The problem is worse now. The "Google Finance History Only" has stopped working now and they too are throwing "403-Forbidden". I've looked at some of the workarounds, but since I have over 100 investments which are a mix of stocks and mutual funds these workarounds are not really practical. I'm going to the level of writing scripts in perl/python, but if I'm doing that then why am I paying MoneyDance? For me the entire point of having MD was to NOT have to manually update everything like I was doing back when all that I had were spreadsheets. Without a way to get stock quotes to tell me where my portfolio is at, MD is nearly worthless to me. I don't need up to the minute pricing. Daily close even from the day before is enough.

I get that the free services don't want to cater to MD and the like anymore. Can we pay a fee to get them to? What about the accounts we own (Ameritrade, Schwab, ETrade, etc.), can MM get quotes from any of them since we are paying customers at those financial firms?

I'm looking around now ... I cannot stay dead in the water like this.
Alternatives to MoneyDance
https://www.personalcapital.com
http://www.morningstar.com/

-Dan

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by JL on 02 Dec, 2017 10:02 AM

The prices did download late last night and this morning with one exception.
    4 AM Central time.
    One of my Mutual Funds (HLEMX) price was from the previous day.
    Price shown was for date 11/30/17 instead of the price for 12/1/17.
    Where ever they get their prices from is not updating properly.

2. 32 Posted by james.gwathmey on 02 Dec, 2017 12:17 PM

@ ALL

Ran it this morning at 0700 EDT. Sweet! No errors. Fairly quick (like it was with Yahoo). Got all securities that I have checked. Also ran Currency Exchange Rates with no problems.

The observation that Alpha Vantage is load sensitive seems to be a correct one.

Regards,

Jim Gwathmey

3. 33 Posted by Alan on 02 Dec, 2017 03:31 PM

I.m still unable to download any stock prices - the situation is the same as I stated in my post yesterday - installed preview build and new extension - Alpha Vantage key entered.
    I have tried reinstalling but the situation remains the same (and at no point do I have an opportunity to reenter my key. I have tried installing a new instance in a fresh directory but the results remain the same. I have no idea what else to try, any help would be appreciated. My question about where the key is stored and whether I can check its accuracy has also not yet been answered. Thanks

4. 34 Posted by Randy Mackie on 02 Dec, 2017 03:45 PM

@Alan

I suspect you initially entered the API key incorrectly but I have no idea where it's stored or how to find it or how to change it. Maybe someone else does? What operating system are you running on? I tried looking on my Mac but had no luck.

Randy

5. 35 Posted by james.gwathmey on 02 Dec, 2017 03:58 PM

@ Alan,

I had a bit of trouble understanding how to get the key. Upon second request, got message that it was already in hand along with a copy of the key itself. Try re-requesting from Alpha Vantage & see what they say. It you get it, copy into notes or somewhere where you can remember it.

Jim

6. 36 Posted by Alan on 02 Dec, 2017 04:31 PM

I am running Windows 10. I have a copy of the key I was supplied by Alpha Vantage saved in 2 places and I double checked when I typed it into MD. At the very least I would like to start from scratch with the extension but I can't seem to find any way of accomplishing that. If I totally uninstall MD will that help? Will I lose my MD license and have to re-enter all of my online banking info?

7. 37 Posted by sth on 02 Dec, 2017 06:01 PM

@JL, as of now (12 PM US Eastern Time) HLEMX downloads the 12/1 price. timestamp,open,high,low,close,volume
    2017-12-01,57.6800,57.6800,57.6800,57.6800,0
    2017-11-30,57.6800,57.6800,57.6800,57.6800,0
    2017-11-29,58.3900,58.3900,58.3900,58.3900,0
    2017-11-28,59.1400,59.1400,59.1400,59.1400,0

There is an easy way to check this on Mac or linux systems using curl. Or you can enter the URL below into a browser. AlphaVantage has no way to look up symbols by security name.

@alan, not sure how to reset the APIkey but you can check it by looking at the console log. It should have the URL used including the APIkey, you should see a line:

"getting history using url: https://www.alphavantage.co/query?function=TIME_SERIES_DAILY&sy...&apikey=&datatype=csv"

and are replaced by your data.

I am not sure where the API key is stored. I think it is in your main data folder which makes it hard to manipulate other than a python script.

8. 38 Posted by Alan on 02 Dec, 2017 06:26 PM

sth

Thank you for the help. The key is indeed incorrect. Can anyone on the MD support staff help me reset the key?

Thanks

9. 39 Posted by sth on 02 Dec, 2017 06:37 PM

@IK, this needs a UI obviously in the extension. BUT for anyone who can work with the python interface...

I looked at the code at https://bitbucket.org/infinitekind/moneydance_open/commits/0196cd78...
    for the commit on 11/16 when the AlphaVantage connection was first tested:

The line
    String apiKey = root.getParameter("alphavantage.apikey", null);
    seems to imply it is a parameter in the root data file.

10. 40 Posted by JL on 02 Dec, 2017 06:55 PM

@stl

Thanks but that price for 12/1 is wrong.
    The correct price for 12/1 is 57.48 not 57.68
    For some reason they are pushing the wrong price.

11. 41 Posted by sth on 02 Dec, 2017 07:17 PM

@JL, yes the data is not perfect. I found a whole bunch of missing values that were zero for some security. You can contact AlphaVantage and ask for corrections.

But I would guess that the problem is more fundamental than that. Yahoo also reports $57.68 as the historical close for that security on 12/1.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/HLEMX/history?p=HLEMX

12. 42 Posted by JL on 02 Dec, 2017 07:46 PM

@sth
    Yahoo shows correct closing price but wrong historic price.
    If Alpha is getting prices from Yahoo then they are getting wrong prices at least with this one fund.

13. 43 Posted by sth on 02 Dec, 2017 08:09 PM

I notice that. AlphaVantage does not say where it is getting its prices. Seems a bit secretive about their organization. However, even if AlphaVantage is getting the daily price on a fund from the Yahoo historic prices then the issue is Yahoo.

This is not something IK can correct or even change. This is not an issue for the Q&ER extension. It is not clear to me which Yahoo number is correct either. I have two values, which is real?

14. 44 Posted by JL on 02 Dec, 2017 08:20 PM

Thanks.
    I sent an email to AlphaVantage and posted the error on Yahoo Finance community board.

The correct price is the closing price of 57.48 Dec1 2017
    Confirmed with broker site and other sites that show quotes.

15. 45 Posted by Chris on 03 Dec, 2017 03:43 AM

I was able to download from AlphaVantage without any errors using the previously linked updater extension and the preview release of Moneydance. :-)

16. 46 Posted by davet65 on 08 Dec, 2017 01:24 AM

Please Sean and IK, give us an update on fixing the quotes update issue. Year End is fast approaching, and I want to have accurate values for my portfolio by then. I have held off on the work-around because I don't want to do unnecessary work [I don't "need" to have the current values right now], assuming a fix is imminent. But I am starting to wonder!?!

17. 47 Posted by dwg on 08 Dec, 2017 02:02 AM

For information, Sean posted this on Wednesday:

"I've pushed an update to the extension which has a button to set/change the API key in the main extension window. I've also updated the extension to store the key in the preferences as well as the data file."

18. 48 Posted by davet65 on 09 Dec, 2017 04:14 PM

So do I still have to get the latest preview to use the new extension? When will this fix become the stable release?

19. 49 Posted by s©tt on 09 Dec, 2017 04:23 PM

@davet65 - generally speaking, I have found the preview .x update releases to be every bit as stable as the 'final' releases, with the added advantage of extra bug fixes which I don't want to wait for. I read the changelog and update whenever I see an issue that affects me, and never once had an issue. indeed the biggest issues I have had were when I updated to a major new 'final' release.

20. 50 Posted by sth on 09 Dec, 2017 10:04 PM

@davet65, very shortly. The preview release notes http://infinitekind.com/previewdl/current/changelog.txt seem to imply that the current preview is being prepared for Apple Store release which usually means that will be the "stable" release.

You can probably regard the current preview release is like a Golden Master (GM) release.

21. 51 Posted by davet65 on 09 Dec, 2017 10:07 PM

Thanks s@tt and sth. That's reassuring to cautious people like me.

22. System closed this discussion on 10 Mar, 2018 10:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac