Money Foresight

Blaze Helm

27 Mar, 2017 08:29 PM

Hi, I am relatively new to Moneydance and am evaluating it as an alternative to MS Money. One of the most valuable features of MS Money is the balance forecast tool, and I have been looking for a similar feature in Moneydance. I have been trying to evaluate Money Foresight, but I wonder if anyone is able to point me towards a set of instructions for how this tool works? I think it is connected to the "Reminder" functions, but you seem to have to add "Transaction Reminders" and I cannot see how you can add a budget amount, rather than a specific formal transaction. For example, we spend on average £500 on groceries a month, that's roughly £125 a week from various shops. But I can't find out how to get Money Foresight to predict a weekly amount of £125.... As a source of data, can it be pointed at a "Budget" in much the same way as the MS version works?

Thanks for your help!

1. 1 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 31 Mar, 2017 09:32 PM

Hi Blaze,

I'm the developer of Money Foresight. Sorry for not seeing this thread sooner.

Many years ago, I asked the Moneydance team for better integration between budgets and transaction reminders but I'm afraid there is still no way to connect the two.

In my opinion, budget items are a poor cousin to transaction reminders. They contain pretty much a subset of the same data but they are less specific because they don't tell you on what day these amounts will be spent nor from which account. So I don't have any budget set up in Moneydance. Instead, I have a whole lot of transaction reminders representing everything that would otherwise be in a budget and I use Money Foresight's forecast view to predict future account balances and its Reminder Review feature to tell me if I have overspent in the past.

Regarding instructions or a user manual, I'm very sorry but I don't have anything like that. But I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to send a mail to support at moneyforesight dot com.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

2. 2 Posted by James Gordon on 26 Apr, 2017 07:20 PM

Hi, I've just bought this and it does nothing. All my accounts are flat lines at the current balance.
    A short tutorial would help as it isn't intuitive and doesn't work out of the box.
    If you are expecting certain things setup in Moneydance then a quick how-to would make your product useful.

3. 3 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 27 Apr, 2017 06:30 AM

Hi James,
    Money Foresight uses transaction reminders and future transactions to predict account balances. These can be set up from the Tools -> Reminders menu. I agree that it's not intuitive. My apologies for that. I definitely need to do something to make that more obvious to new users.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
    Kevin

4. 4 Posted by James Gordon on 29 Apr, 2017 06:44 AM

Excellent, thanks. Knowing that you have to create reminders then it all works.
    Maybe a dialog box with a quick description of what you need to do for each tab would help.
    No need to create reams and reams of documentation.

5. 5 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 29 Apr, 2017 07:40 AM

Yes, I like the idea of hints built into the application rather than separate documentation. Just a matter of finding the time to work on it.

Glad you're up and running.

6. 6 Posted by danielblumentha... on 09 Jul, 2017 04:55 PM

Hi Kevin, I have owned the Foresight extension for a while and use it all the time, it is a great tool. However, today the pop up window does nothing, and the circle wheel spins and Money Dance is frozen. I have to force quit. I tried to uninstall, reinstall and update to the latest version but same keeps happening. What is going on and how can I fix? Dan

7. 7 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 09 Jul, 2017 10:41 PM

Hi Dan,

Sounds like you're having a bit of trouble there. I haven't heard from anyone else having the same symptoms so I'm not sure what the problem might be just yet.

Could you open your error console (Menu -> Help -> Console) and see if there is anything in there that looks like an error. In particular, look for any word that ends in 'Exception'.

Cheers,
    Kevin

8. 8 Posted by Suzy on 12 Jul, 2017 02:07 AM

Hi Kevin - Have used money foresight for years and really appreciate it (agree with your view on the budget above!). I use this on two computers and I just updated my laptop with the latest foresight. However, I can't seem to get that version to show up on my summary page. I view that as my most useful too and I prefer not to have to launch it each time I want to see it. When I add it to the summary page, the old version, I think, is what comes up and there are no accounts listed. Any idea how to remedy this?

Thanks in advance!

9. 9 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 12 Jul, 2017 07:48 AM

Hi Suzy,

Sorry you're having some trouble. I'm hoping there might be some info in the error console that will give me a clue as to what is going wrong. Could you take a look (Menu -> Help -> Console Window...) and paste in anything that looks like an error.

Could you also confirm which versions of Money Foresight and Moneydance you have on each computer?

Cheers,
    Kevin

10. 10 Posted by Suzy Conley on 12 Jul, 2017 03:00 PM

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get it working correctly. I had to remove it from the summary page, close Moneydance, reopen and re-add it to the summary page. That seemed to work.

thanks for your help!

11. 11 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 12 Jul, 2017 03:03 PM

Good to hear :)

12. 12 Posted by Randy Abel on 25 Jul, 2017 02:40 PM

Kevin, I'm using Money Foresight and it's working quite well for the most part.
    However, for some reason it does not recognize future transaction reminders that are created by the "Loan" feature of Moneydance. These transaction reminders are probably created on-the-fly and are not normal transaction reminders because while the amount due stays constant throughout the life of the loan, the amount allocated to the principal and interest payment changes each month.

It sure would be nice if Money Foresight could get some... <ahem> "foresight"... into those transactions as well.

13. 13 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 25 Jul, 2017 03:34 PM

Hi Randy,

Thanks for pointing this out. That's a major problem if that's the case. I'll take a look.

Cheers,
    Kevin

14. 14 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 25 Jul, 2017 11:24 PM

Hi Randy,

I've had a quick look at this. I've got a loan transaction reminder set up and it is taken into account in the forecast. There may be something different between your setup and mine so it's worth investigating further. Can you confirm which version of the extension you are using (latest is v39) and if you are still sure there is a problem it is probably best to open a new thread either on this forum on or my issue tracking site.
    https://bitbucket.org/mahanaroad/moneyforesight/issues

Regards,
    Kevin

15. 15 Posted by Randy Abel on 27 Jul, 2017 03:44 PM

NEVERMIND, MY BAD - Money Foresight DOES see Auto-created Loan Payment Reminders.

I believe my issue was that I did not change the default account when I did my initial testing and the default account was not included in my Money Foresight graphs. Subsequent testing after Kevin's reply shows it works as expected.

16. 16 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 27 Jul, 2017 04:14 PM

Good to hear.

Thanks for the follow up.

17. 17 Posted by danielblumentha... on 27 Jul, 2017 04:17 PM

Can you guys take me off this thread please

18. 18 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 27 Jul, 2017 04:27 PM

Hi Daniel,
    You should be able to see an "Unsubscribe From Updates" button at the top of this page on the right hand side.

19. 19 Posted by Dan Hanger on 24 Sep, 2017 02:04 PM

Hi Kevin

I just paid for your extension--it's a really nice replacement for the way Quicken enabled me to see my balances well into the future based on my reminders--exactly how you've made your extension work. But....

Is it just my computer, or is the graph always so slow to re-draw? When I say slow I mean roughly about a second per month of data, so one year into the future can take more than 12 seconds to draw. On the trial version only one month into the future was enabled so the slow graphing didn't show itself until after paying for it. It's not a big deal considering what it does for me, but it tends to get really annoying whenever I switch between a register and the summary page, it has to re-draw. At the very least, it would help if it had some sort of recall of the previous graph if no changes have been made. By comparison, the extension 'balance predictor' can draw 12 months in an instant. But, balance predictor doesn't do nearly what your extension does.

Well, that's my only complaint, and if it was free I wouldn't even complain about that. Otherwise it's a good solution for one of the things I missed the most about jumping off the Quicken ship.

Dan

20. 20 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 24 Sep, 2017 06:20 PM

Hi Dan,

Glad to hear you're getting some use out of it. And apologies for the performance issue.

I've had a go at speeding it up in the past but didn't manage to make much of a difference. I've got an idea that might work a bit better so I'll have another go at it soon. And you're right, it should be smarter about redrawing when nothing has changed. That shouldn't be too much trouble to implement.

I'll reply back here if I manage to make some progress.

Cheers,
    Kevin

21. 21 Posted by Dan Hanger on 24 Sep, 2017 07:21 PM

Right on, thanks for the feedback.

Dan

22. 22 Posted by Stuart on 25 Sep, 2017 07:24 PM

Hi, Dan,

I used the forecaster for quite a while. I just paid for the current version. For some reason it's not filtering the dates properly. I'm trying to look at the next 3 or 6 months. The transactions tab shows transaction dates going back to 2015. As a result, my balances are way off - showing that my checking and savings accounts are $35,000 in the hole.

Hints?

Stuart

23. 23 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 25 Sep, 2017 08:13 PM

Hi Stuart,

I'm the developer of Money Foresight. Thanks for purchasing.

Can I ask you to deselect the overdue reminders checkbox and see if that makes a difference.

Regards,
    Kevin

24. 24 Posted by Stuart on 27 Sep, 2017 12:05 AM

Bingo! Works great.

Kind of demonstrates my lack of reading comprehension . . .

Sorry to mess up the names. Thanks for your help!

Stuart

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac