I am also experiencing issues with split transactions and
multiple currencies. I have locked RATE and Foreign Amount cells
(which are also blank), and there doesn't seem to be any currency
So, in the split, currency is NZD ( x $NZD ), but when I go to
the Category (other half of the transaction) which is in CDN, there
is no translation. The amount is the same, x $CDN and not
Some more details on what I do to reproduce my issue,
It appears that MD can get stuck in a mode where the exchange
rate is always 1, even for new transactions that aren't splits.
Quitting and restarting seems to fix the issue, at least
To get it to misbehave again, I can do a few things:
Start a new transaction and open a split before saving it.
Exchange rate = 1 even though account and category are in different
currencies. All further transactions, split or no split, have
exchange rate of 1 that cannot be changed. Must restart MD to
Create a transaction that has a category that is the same
currency as the account. Then add a split to this transaction that
has a category in a different currency. Exchange rate = 1, cannot
edit it. BUT, unlike 1. above, exchange rate still working for new
I can work around 2. by first creating the transaction
where the account/category currencies differ, and then adding the
split where the account/category are the same.
I'm experiencing the same issues; namely that when you split a
transaction that is different from the base currency, the split
doesn't add the correct currency amount and always returns this to
1, even if you force it.
The only way is remove the split and do two transactions.
Using Moneydance 2011r2 (803) on Windows Vista with Java
Also experiencing many issues with split transactions in foreign
currency. One is that the amount is not converted to the base
currency for the expenses chart on the home page. For example, a
split transaction for 5000 HKD is shown as 5000 GBP in the expenses
chart (should be about 400 GBP at current rates.) This makes the
expenses chart almost meaningless for seeing your largest
You are right. I realised that this was the case about 5 minutes after I
sent the email. I don't see any other issues with splits at the moment, they
may have all been related to the fx-rate not being set properly.
Updated toVersion2001r2(803) and now unable to operate split
transactions in any account or on Reminder transactions. I only
operate in GB pounds so I don't understand what the problem is! I
have downloaded Moneydance with Java and am running Windows 7 on HP
computer. How can I go back to Previous Version which was working
well for me.
Thank you for your email, I appear to have solved my problem. It appears
that it was caused because the split box was not large enough. I noticed
that there were a number of references to this problem in the comments on
your website so I tried to enlarge it by dragging the border and found that
I can now work the system for both transactions and Reminder Transactions
Thank you for your prompt reply. Although I don't think I would have solved
the problem if I hadn't seen the chat amongst equally frustrated users. I
spent a couple of very frustrating days believing that I had done some thing
I have still not been able to reproduce the problem you are
See the attached screenshot. I entered a split transaction in a
USD account and transferred 100 USD to a GBP account and 100 USD to
a EUR account. The exchange rates worked correctly. I closed the
transactions and reopened it and it was still correct.
Can you tell me the exact procedure you are taking in order to
reproduce the problem.
Actually I think this is resolved - What I did was re-create the
split and it seems that this was saved correctly. Basically, I
think there's some weirdness from the first time this was created
then fixed and somewhere along the lines the data gets lost or
saved weirdly. So re-doing it sorts it out.