Question about licensing.

mlwalley730

23 Jun, 2017 04:14 PM

Long time Quicken user and now I am done with them. I am looking to try out Moneydance but I run a Windows, Mac, iPhone and an Android device. It would be nice to sync with all but does that mean I would have to buy a license for Windows and Mac. Please advise.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Henry on 23 Jun, 2017 04:18 PM

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting us.
    We have a simple license agreement- one license per household, regardless of many people are in your household, how many computers you need to install the program on, or how many different operating systems (Mac, Linux, Windows, etc) you use. We'll also never force you to upgrade to a newer version, or disable features in older versions of our software. If you're going to run Moneydance on several devices I would recommend checking the following knowledge base article here.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

2. System closed this discussion on 22 Sep, 2017 04:20 PM.

3. mlwalley730 re-opened this discussion on 21 Jan, 2019 10:30 PM

4. 2 Posted by mlwalley730 on 21 Jan, 2019 10:30 PM

Hello Support I tried to open a new ticket but cannot get any further because I am unable to choose a category in any browser on both Mac or Windows machines. I hope responding here will yield some results. I have downloaded the latest version of Moneydance (v. 2019.0 (1847)) for both Mac and Windows. Neither of them are working correctly which is rather disappointing. On my Mac I cannot get past the "Welcome to Moneydance" splash screen. I have linked it to my Dropbox share folder where my Moneydance file resides and nothing. On my Windows machine the application doesn't even open even though it says that it is in the Task Manager. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times on both machines to no avail. I also verified that the license I have is eligible for a free upgraded and it is. I switched from Quicken to your software and was happy until now. The fact that the software is not working on both platforms and I am unable to submit a support case to you is beyond frustrating. Please assist with this as I was hoping the new version would eliminate some of the bugs I found in the 2017 Mac version. Thank you for your time.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Henry on 22 Jan, 2019 09:09 AM

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting us.
    All three issues, are very strange as there has been no change to the support site as well as in the way the the new version is installed and opened.

Can you try creating a new profile on the support forum to attempt to submit a new ticket?
    You can close it after testing this.

Regarding the new version, I'll start by focusing on the Mac.
    After you have downloaded the new version on the Mac, did you move it from the Downloads folder to the Applications Folder?

If yes, when you see the "Welcome to Moneydance" page, can you click on 'Create a New Account Set'?

If yes, then let's first focus on creating a new account and once we have an open account, this will exclude the issue on the end of the program.

Once this has been successful, we will attempt to restore a backup to see if the data loads, you can do this by clicking on File > Restore from Backup, you can also find your default backup location by clicking on Help > Show Archive Folder, this will allow you to load the information from there.

If all of this works, then we know that the issue is with the file.
    If you keep your data file on a shared location it is important that this file i not opened at the same time from two places, it is possible that it might have been opened this way on some occasion and it's causing the current issue.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 4 Posted by mlwalley730 on 23 Jan, 2019 03:31 PM

Henry,

Yes I am able to create a new file but I am unable to connect to the sync folder, unable to restore from a backup, or unable to open the file. Now my data is gone and I am beyond unpleased. Looking elsewhere for solutions. Hopefully I can restore my data first. An upgrade should be rather simple. Apparently not.

Regards,

Michael Walley

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Henry on 23 Jan, 2019 04:10 PM

If your data file is available in any of the locations, we should be able to open it.
    The files that we can directly open are yourfilename.moneydance and yourfilename.moneydancearchive
    If you have any files in those two formats, then try moving them to your computer, once they are directly on your computer, open Moneydance and click on File > Open > Open Other and select the file from the new location.

Please let me know if this works.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac