Can't set up Dropbox sync

Bill Carson

09 Mar, 2019 02:54 PM

When I open FILE>SYNC SETTINGS the Sync Method is set to "Don't Sync." I can't change it. What gives?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Mar, 2019 03:23 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Have you synced before?
    If so, it looks like you have FILE – RESTORED FROM BACKUP a backup made on a secondary computer. What you describe is exactly what I would expect to see from a secondary data set, it normal.
    You should always restore a backup from your primary computer if you have been syncing.
    If you need to restore from a backup and for some reason your primary computer backup is not available then it is possible to convert a secondary data set into a primary data set.
    If you need to do so just post and I will post the procedure.
    I will need to know if you are running 2017 or 2019.
    If the position you find yourself in is nothing to do with syncing give more detail.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by Bill Carson on 09 Mar, 2019 03:29 PM

Thank you for the reply. I'm using MD 2019.1 (1855). I did restore from backup. That caused the problem? Would you post the procedure to fix this? Thank you very much.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Mar, 2019 03:38 PM

To convert a secondary data set to a primary data set you need to run the attached script md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py in Moneydance 2019. Don’t worry it states 2017.
    With your data set open click WINDOW - SHOW MONEYBOT CONSOLE use OPEN SCRIPT to select the script and click RUN. Wait for the script to complete its run, it can take a minute. Close and reopen Moneydance. You should now be able to change the syncing method.

The problem was caused by restoring a secondary computer backup instead of your primary computer backup.

Hope this helps

4. 4 Posted by Bill Carson on 09 Mar, 2019 03:43 PM

Worked! Thank you, sir.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Mar, 2019 03:46 PM

Glad I was able to help.

Have Fun.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac