Syncing with new install

ipetts

15 Feb, 2019 06:40 AM

My PC died recently and has been replaced. I was running whatever the previous "latest" version of MD was, 2018-something, and syncing with an Android phone via Dropbox. I continued to enter transactions into the Android app until my new PC arrived.

I have successfully restored MD from a backup of the latest "mdarchive" file from the 25th of January and after enabling sync on the new install (2019.1 - 1855) the sync password was already set.

It appears though that the existing sync data will not import. I can see the transactions in the Dropbox folder, but MD seems to just ignore them.

I was going to try and disconnect and reconnect the app from syncing, but it warns that "disconnecting syncing will remove your data from this device".

Is there any way I can get the existing sync data imported into restored MD file?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Feb, 2019 08:30 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

If you have lost your data set and the data on your mobile device is more up to date than your backup you can try the following in an attempt to recover your data from your mobile device, say a phone. I may not work. You would then have to restore the best backup you have.

In Moneydance click FILE – NEW – OPEN SYNCED FILE. Use the dropdown to set the same sync method as you were using. Enter the same passphrase as before and start syncing. If your data set is synced back in to your computer it will be as a second computer data set and need converting into a primary computer data set as below. Check your data set has recovered up to date, data. On a second computer you can’t change the syncing method under FILE – SYNCING.

Do a FILE – EXPORT BACKUP in case something goes wrong.

To convert a secondary data set to a primary data set you need to run the attached script md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py in Moneydance 2019. Don’t worry it states 2017.

With your data set open click WINDOW - SHOW MONEYBOT CONSOLE use OPEN SCRIPT to select the script and click RUN. Close and reopen Moneydance. You should now be able to change the syncing method, leave it at Don’t Sync. Use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.

Reset syncing.
    1. On your mobile devices use there setting menu to disconnect.

1. Then shut down Moneydance. If you are using Dropbox as the backup location wait till the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.

2. Using your computer, in the Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”. If Dropbox client is installed on your computer delete from there otherwise delete in your Dropbox account. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”.

3. Open Moneydance on your computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder”, click OK.

4. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”.

5. Set up syncing to your mobile devices following this article. http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...

Wait for your data to be synced.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by ipetts on 16 Feb, 2019 03:14 AM

Thank you very much for the detailed information Derek.

I did encounter an error with this method, unable to create file I think, but I was able to get everything working again with the following.

I found I had a copy of the whole \users\me\.moneydance folder in addition to the .moneydancearchive file I originally restored from. I removed the .moneydance folder from my new machine and copied the whole folder over from the backup. When I opened MD, it "just worked" and started importing the transactions from Dropbox as normal. A cursory glance over the accounts appears fine, in that historical data up to the computer failure seems to be all there, in addition to the newer transactions entered from the Android app since then.

Thanks again for the assistance, it's great that MD has such a friendly and helpful community.

3. ipetts closed this discussion on 16 Feb, 2019 03:15 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac