Re: Syncing MD 2017.8

mcarpenter4

08 Feb, 2019 04:35 PM

RE:From: derekkent23

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am assuming you are running either Moneydance 2017 or 2019?
What version and build of Moneydance are you running. e.g. 2019.1(1855).
It important that both computers are running the same version and build.
What are your computers operating system.
As your computer is the one that's up to date it needs to be the primary computer.
If you look under FILE - SYNCING can you change the syncing method or is it grayed out. If its greyed out the first step would be to convert the data set from a secondary to a primary data set. I can provide instructions.
I would recommend once you have got your data set sorted out you reset syncing and use the syncing method Dropbox folder. Again I can provide instructions.

Provide the information I have requested and I will post the next step.

Hi Derek,
We are both running version 2017.8 on both machines. My boss was the primary machine but now I have the main updated data on my machine. I have a PC and he has a MAC. Our syncing method is grayed out on my machine.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Feb, 2019 06:00 PM

Make a FILE – EXPORT BACKUP on your PC.

Then both update to 2017.10(1706) from https://infinitekind.com/download_2017

You need to convert your secondary data set to a primary data set as follows.
    To use the file md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py, first download it to your computer and then follow these steps:

1. In Moneydance, select Window --> Python Scripting.
    2. In the window that opens, select 'Open Script' then navigate to the .py file wherever you saved it on your system.
    3. Select 'Run' to execute the file.
    4. Wait a few moments until you see a message on screen, confirming the script has run successfully.
    5. Close Moneydance and then reopen it.

Under FILE – SYNCING you should find that the syncing method is no longer greyed out.
    From now on your computer is the primary computer.

if syncing was already set up it needs to be reset. If not follow http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...

The following assumes you are using Dropbox Folder with the same Dropbox account or you set ".moneydancsync" folder when it is created to be shared between accounts, It also assumes Dropbox client is installed on all computers.

The next step is to reset syncing.
    1. If you have mobile devices use there setting menu to disconnect.

1. Set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE – SYNCING, then click OK.

2. On your primary computer use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.

3. On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data sets “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.

4. Using your primary computer in the Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. This can talk some time.

5. In your second computer check that in the Dropbox folder that the folder “.moneydancesync” has been automatically deleted. You need to give Dropbox a short time to complete this deletion.

6. On your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder”, click OK.

7. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.

8. Wait until the same Dropbox folder appears on your second computer, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”.

9. On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”.

10. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT.

11. You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open”

12. After a short search delay, it should then list your un-synced data set name used on your primary computer.

13. Highlight your data set name and click NEXT.

14. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING.

15. Then click on FINISH. Wait for your data to be synced.

You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by mcarpenter4 on 08 Feb, 2019 08:52 PM

Can we do all the things you mention without the upgrade to 2017.10? Our Tech dept. does not allow us admin rights for downloads.

3. 3 Posted by mcarpenter4 on 08 Feb, 2019 08:57 PM

I'm doing the upgrade now. It let me for some reason.

4. 4 Posted by mcarpenter4 on 12 Feb, 2019 04:58 PM

Derek,
    Thank you thank you thank you. My boss said he is so thankful and would love to take you out for dinner. You have made our lives so much easier. Your instructions were perfect, and worked exactly like you said. I am so grateful. I am in such a good mood.

You Rock.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Feb, 2019 05:13 PM

Really glad I was able to help and thanks for the words of appreciation.
    Probably in different time zones.
    I live in the UK.

Have Fun.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac