Restoring from sync

pdorset

06 Feb, 2019 06:34 AM

Hi all! I think I may have made a bit of a balls up 
I currently run Moneydance 2015 and sync via Dropbox with my iPhone and iPad.
I reinstalled Windows 10 on my pc yesterday assuming that I would be able to get all of my account details and transactions back from my .moneydancesync file in Dropbox but I’m now thinking this may not be possible. Am I able to regain my information from my sync file or at I going to have to start from scratch?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Feb, 2019 07:50 AM

I am support staff, just a user.

If you had 2017 or 2019 then you could have recovered your data from .moneydancesync but not from 2015. Did you not have a backup in say Dropbox?

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 06 Feb, 2019 08:33 AM

I'm a fellow user.

The Infinite Kind advised in the past that the data stored in pre 2017 versions of the syncing files was only a subset of the transaction data that is contained in the main data file and is insufficient to rebuild the main data file.

Even though the full transaction data is in syncing files in Moneydance 2017 and later this should only ever be considered to be a last resort for the recovery of data i.e. after everything else has failed, you may or may not be able to recover from the syncing data, depending on what the original problem was.

3. 3 Posted by pdorset on 06 Feb, 2019 08:43 AM

I’m pretty sure the only file I have in Dropbox is the .moneydancesync file (but I’ll check when I get home).
    If I set up the accounts from scratch on the pc will I be able to sync with my phone (via Dropbox) in order to update the transactions?

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 06 Feb, 2019 09:23 AM

I'm fellow user.

The Moneydance syncing file(s) is linked to a specific master file(s) by using a unique ID internally within the files, the unique ID is created when you setup syncing. It is not possible to associate an existing syncing file with a new main data file. As soon as you go to setup syncing on your mobile device the existing data will be destroyed.

5. 5 Posted by pdorset on 06 Feb, 2019 12:47 PM

Ah well. No worries. Fresh setup it is then. I'll remember for next time. Thanks for your help.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac