Sync issues, excess broadband use, synching failed

Jay

14 Jul, 2018 02:30 AM

I am using MoneyDance on a Windows 7 computer, and using the Android app on a Samsung Galaxy phone. I was doing sync using the DropBox Connection method.

1. I had problems with the program taking forever to exit; I read the online discussions, and found nothing that seemed to be the problem (e.g. my backups were all local, etc.). However, I decided to reset the sync process by selecting Don't Sync in MoneyDance, exiting, deleting the MoneyDance folder on my DropBox, and then re-enabling synching. (This, however, is not my main issue.)

2. I had been experiencing wildly excessive broadband use on my PC. I finally installed GlassWire to try to locate the cause of the problem. Over 3 days, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Then I opened MoneyDance for the first time in over a week. After 2 hours, I looked at GlassWire, and found out that MoneyDance had DOWNLOADED 1.3 GB, while uploading 9 MB over that time period. YIKES! I don't know what was going on, but there was no activity going on from another source that would have had to been downloaded to MoneyDance. It was after discovering this that I decided to disable then re-enable synching, mentioned in #1 above.

3. I set MoneyDance to Don't Sync, exited, deleted the MoneyDance directory on DropBox, re-opened MoneyDance, reselected Sync but this time using DropBox FOLDER rather than CONNECTION. Then I tried to reconnect my Android app. It would not reconnect, giving me Sync Failed errors. I uninstalled the Android app, and tried again. Same result. I have repeatedly done all these steps on both the PC, and the Android device. Always I get a Sync Failed error on the Android, and then after exiting MoneyDance, I get an "Unfortunately, Moneydance has Stopped" error when I try to re-open the app ... necessitating uninstalling and reinstalling the app to make the next attempt.

I have verified that I have both Mobile Data and WIFI working on the Android device.

What is the problem #3 (and can you shed some light on #2 also!)?

1. 1 Posted by Jay on 14 Jul, 2018 02:36 AM

A couple more notes.

1. Even re-starting the Android device will not re-enable the MoneyDance app to run. I still get the "Unfortunately, MoneyDance has Stopped" error.

2. After re-enabling synchronization on the PC, I wait long enough to verify that no additional files are being added to my DropBox MoneyDance directory, and that the DropBox MoneyDance folder on the Android device has synch'ed so that it matches the PC's DropBox MoneyDance folder.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 16 Jul, 2018 06:55 AM

I an not support staff, just a user.

Your explanation is very clear and you seem to have done all the right things.

I am syncing between two computers windows 10 and windows 7 and an Android phone without any issues.

I can’t think of what to suggest other than to ask if you have tried the latest preview build of Moneydance downloaded from https://infinitekind.com/preview

Also, what build of the Android app are you running.

One difference I note between our setups is I think you are saying you have installed Dropbox on your phone? I haven’t. I wonder if this could be in some way affecting the phones Moneydance app, long shot.

3. 3 Posted by Jay on 16 Jul, 2018 10:37 PM

Derek,

I'm a bit confused. If you don't have DropBox on the phone, then how are you synching with the phone? (I've seen passing references to synching using other cloud data repositories, but DropBox is the only one I have seen in the PC application, the Android app, or any instructions online.) I don't see how having DropBox on the phone could have any deleterious effect on MoneyDance as it seems to be a requirement to synch the phone to the PC desktop version.

Although I am leery of running beta software (if I had time to be adventurous, it would be different), I decided to go ahead and try the beta version of the PC application and the beta version of the Android app. I set the software not to synch, then I exited the PC application. I backed up the .moneydance folder in my user directory. I removed the moneydance folder on DropBox. I downloaded and installed the beta version of the PC application and the beta APK for Android. The PC application was installed over the existing version. I opened the application and set it to synch using DropBox Folder. That caused it to set up a moneydance folder in my local DropBox folder. I then opened the beta version on my Android device, and selected my DropBox account. When I entered the password, it returned the same error I have seen all along (Syncing failed). (BTW, I tried entering a wrong password somewhere along the line, and it gives a different error -- incorrect password, or something to that effect -- which rules out a wrong password being the issue when synching failed is the error message.)

I went back and restored the original data directory's contents and reinstalled the latest non-beta versions of the PC application and the Android app -- and continue to face the same synching issue.

One more thing ... you asked about my Android version. It is 6.0.1.

Jay

4. 4 Posted by Jay on 16 Jul, 2018 10:42 PM

Okay ... it looks like the "preview" version of the Android app is actually a year old, so perhaps it was a step backwards. But the Android app, whether the current version on the Google PlayStore, or the year old "preview" version, is giving the same error message.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Jul, 2018 09:35 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

The Moneydance Android App has an inbuilt Dropbox API (Application Program Interface) which connects to your Dropbox account in the cloud. This is why you don’t need Dropbox installed on your phone and if it is installed it is not used by Moneydance.

I am not saying having Dropbox installed on your phone is the problem I was looking for differences in our setups that could account for why mine works and yours does not.

The preview build of Moneydance that is available for your computer fixes bugs, some relating to syncing, as well as adding some features. Take a look at the text link to the change log on the preview download page.

Both our Android phones are running Marshmallow 6.0.1

The version of the Moneydance APP I am running on my phone is 1.15. As far as I know the released and preview versions are the same.

If you open your Dropbox account on your computer and navigate to via icon (face top right next to bell) > Settings > Connected apps do you see Moneydance listed under Linked apps with access type Full Dropbox?

Still clutching at straws. When you set don’t sync and then delete “.moneydancesync” folder in your local Dropbox, open your Dropbox cloud folder and wait for the “.moneydancesnc” folder to be deleted from there. Then when you set syncing to Dropbox Folder in Moneydance on your computer wait until the “.moneydancesync” and all the folders and files have been created in the cloud folder, this can take some time, before trying to sync your phone.

6. 6 Posted by Jay on 17 Jul, 2018 06:52 PM

When setting Don't Sync, and later Sync Dropbox Folder, I have waited for the .moneydance folder to be deleted, or re-created with all folders and files re-created. In fact, one time I left it overnight before trying the next step of synching the Android to it.

I also tried Don't Sync, delete .moneydance from DropBox, wait for it to disappear, uninstall MoneyDance on my Android, DELETE DropBox from my Android, reinstall MoneyDance on the Android, reset the PC application to Sync to DropBox Folder, and once the folder has been fully updated with the moneydance data, then open the Android MoneyDance and go through the process to link to DropBox website with the API rather than having DropBox installed on the Android ... and then Sync. After which ... I get the SAME error.

:(

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Jul, 2018 07:11 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Really strange
    Did you open your Dropbox account on your computer and navigate to via icon (face top right next to bell) > Settings > Connected apps to see if Moneydance listed under Linked apps with access type Full Dropbox?

I assume you have only one Dropbox account.
    Your Dropbox folder is on your C drive.

Close Moneydance then reopen it with syncing enabled and wait say 60 seconds close Moneydance and post your errlog.txt file.

I would try Dropbox Connection again.

Set up a test data set FILE - NEW one account, one transaction and see if that can be synced.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

21 Jul, 2018 07:16 AM
21 Jul, 2018 04:34 AM
21 Jul, 2018 03:21 AM