Trouble setting up syncing

jay

17 May, 2018 05:04 PM

Hi,

I just purchased MoneyDance and have set up on my Mac. I want my wife to use it also. I have set up syncing to use a shared folder on our Time Machine. When I go to set up Money Dance on my wife's Mac, I get to the step about selecting the synced file. I can go to Shared drive and I see a folder with a name : 6f68f082-3d06-4bcd-8998-7560bfdf9d4f. If I select the folder then it says no synced files found. Inside the folder there are 4 files and another folder V3. If I select the folder V3, I again get message no synced files found and I don't get to step where I enter passphrase. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Jay

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 May, 2018 07:00 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am not a Mac user so may be wrong, but isn't Time Machine a backup system. If so this is probably not compatible with Moneydance syncing.

As you haven’t posted the version and build of Moneydance you are running, nor if you purchased direct or from Apply store then I have to make some assumptions. So assumptions, you are running 2017.7.1(1671) or above. You purchased direct so Dropbox folder method of syncing is available to you.

Moneydance - Setting up Sync Method Dropbox Folder to another computer.

With "Dropbox Folder" Moneydance syncs using the Dropbox folder. You need to has a least a free Dropbox account and have installed Dropbox client on the computers to be synced. You don’t have to be online when Moneydance is running as changes are written to your local Dropbox folder. The next time you go online the changes will be synced.
    1. Open Moneydance on your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder” and click OK.
    2. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created in your Dropbox folder. This can take some time. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. Then wait until the same Dropbox folder appears on your second computer, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”. From now on normal syncing is fast, no need to wait or check.
    3. On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”. Or if it opens in to an existing account click FILE - NEW
    4. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT.
    5. You should see a search screen headed “Finding synced files” then “Select a synced document to open”
    6. Highlight the data set name you won’t to sync with and click NEXT.
    7. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING.
    8. Then click on FINISH. You should see the message “Performing initial sync this may take a while”.
    9. Wait to syncing is complete.

You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.

If you won’t to sync to a mobile device see http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by jay on 19 May, 2018 03:32 PM

Hi Derek,

Thanks. I miswrote. It isn't the Time Machine (which you are correct is a backup mechanism on the Mac) but a Time Capsule. Think of a Time capsule as a Mac Specific NAS - a shared storage device.

I bought MoneyDance directly so I have all methods of Sync available - Dropbox folder, Dropbox Connection and Shared Folder. I'm using version 2017.7.1 (1671) which reports as the latest.

I would prefer not to use Dropbox if I can so that none of my data is in the cloud. The steps you have outlined seem similar for the Shared Folder sync up to step 5. It then reports that no synced files found.

If you do this via Dropbox; can you let me know what folders and files are created. I might be able to troubleshoot to see what isn't being created. As I mentioned in my original post, the file created when I sync to a shared folder has a name made of a string of alphanumerics. See image attached. Within it are several files. What I am asking for is which of these files are the file I am trying to sync.

Thanks,

Jay

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 May, 2018 04:47 PM

I am not familiar with a Time capsule as a Mac Specific NAS - a shared storage device. However, a number of user have tried to use NAS drives with little success. From what I have read they can’t handle the large number of very small files that Monetydance is continually reading and writing to.
    When using Dropbox or similar cloud servers Moneydance reads and writes to the Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync”, creating small transaction files (mdtxn files) in such a way that there should never be any conflicts (at least not to any important files). Filenames are unique and the data is encrypted using your sync key (“Encryption Passphrase”). All changes are recorded in this folder and if any of the changes cause conflicts then they are resolved by checking timestamps that are internal to the file (i.e. not the file modification date).
    When Moneydance uses Dropbox, it uses end to end symmetric AES256 encryption. The keys are only held on the devices not in the cloud. As used by governments and banks for example. Keys (syncing encryption passphrase) are not held in the cloud, only on your devices. So, if Dropbox was to be hacked they would only get an encrypted set of files.
    Its up to you but perusing a NAS drive setup could be a dead end. A free Dropbox account may be a better bet.

The files/folders in the “.moneydancesync” folder are exactly as your screen shot, you have non missing. The only difference is that within v3 I have a large number of “.mdtxn files compared to you.

Hope this helps

4. 4 Posted by jay on 19 May, 2018 08:20 PM

Derek,

Thanks, I was able to make it work using Dropbox so the issue seems to be that Shared Folder syncing doesn't work. When I do through Dropbox, Moneydance instantly comes up with my Moneydance account folder name but when I do it through a Shared folder, it just shows me the individual files - even though the files look identical in the shared folder and dropbox.

A follow on question - when I'm syncing through Dropbox, can I have Moneydance open on 2 different computers at the same time or do I have to quit Moneydance on 1 computer and then open on another computer to have the files in sync. I'm trying to have Moneydance on both my wife's and my computer.

Thanks,

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 May, 2018 08:46 PM

Just for information I have tried Share Folder using another cloud server, windows OneDrive and it works without any problems.

You can have both computers running Moneydance. Add a transaction on one computer and within say 30 seconds watch it appear on the other computer.

If you wont you can also use the free mobile APP on your phones and sync to them.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac