Where is the file?

Max

13 Feb, 2018 01:21 AM

I bought moneydance for my macbook and also sync it through dropbox with my android based phone.

My macbook was stolen and i switched to a windows based laptop

Have downloaded MD and trying to use 'open other' to load my file, which is on dropbox and work on the phone.

have tried every folder and subfolder but there is apparently no file that is a moneydance file and nothing shows up in the window,

When i try 'all files' options, it shows lots of files but none of them opens as well.

Please help. (Have about 3 years' worth of data on it)

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Feb, 2018 09:35 AM

I am not support staff just a user.

I have never tried this so cant confirm that will work. TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. But it sounds like you have little to lose.

Recover data from the “.moneydancesync” folder in Dropbox Moneydance 2017.

In Dropbox make a copy of the folder “.moneydancesync” with a different name and store in a safe place.

In Moneydance click FILE – NEW – OPEN SYNCED FILE. Use the dropdown to set the same sync method as you were using. Enter the same passphrase as before and start syncing. If your data set is synced back into your computer you may need to tidy things up. Particularly the things listed in the side bar. Use the “+” at the bottom. You will probably find under FILE – SYNCING that you can’t set a syncing method so you need to convert your data set as below.

Create a backup using the FILE - EXPORT BACKUP.

To use the file md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py, first download it to your computer and then follow these steps:

1. In Moneydance, select Window --> Python Scripting.
    2. In the window that opens, select 'Open Script' then navigate to the .py file wherever you saved it on your system.
    3. Select 'Run' to execute the file.
    4. Wait a few moments until you see a message on screen, confirming the script has run successfully.

Things should now be as they were.

Hope this helps

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac