Moneydance transactions not saving to dropbox (MAC desktop version)

newss

01 Oct, 2017 04:17 PM

I have Moneydance Version 2017.2 (1597) running on Sierra 10.12.6. My transactions aren't saving to dropbox. It only saves on closing. If I open another file to work on without closing Moneydance first, I lose all of the transactions I have worked on. This is the first time I have lost financial data in a long time due to technical issues as I had just entered months of transactions which are now all lost. The only way to save my transactions is to keep closing Moneydance periodically.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Oct, 2017 08:09 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am not sure why you are having problems, are you syncing to other devices? If you are I can post information on how to reset syncing which could fix the problem.
    One thing is certain you are running an old build of 2017,2(1597) the latest is 2017.5(1639).
    A large number of fixes have been implemented so I would update and see if it helps. Download from https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software.

Also, when using 2017 unlike 2015 and earlier versions of Moneydance you must not store your data set in Dropbox. The latest build will prompt you with a way to automatically move your data set. You can use Export Backup under FILE and Automatic backup under FILE – PREFERENCES – BACKUPS to save backups to Dropbox in case your hard drive fails.

Hope this help.

2. 2 Posted by newss on 03 Oct, 2017 07:48 PM

Thanks for the information. I had an extension for automatic updates but that must have uninstalled at some point.

I was not aware that the data should not be stored in Drobbox. How do you access your data from different computers? Is that not possible anymore?

Thanks again

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 04 Oct, 2017 07:57 AM

Before version 2017 you could place your data set in Dropbox and open the same data set on your two computers provided you opened only one at a time. Opening on both computer at the same time could lead to data corruption.

I would advise updating to the latest build on both computers as this fixes some syncing and other issues. See https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software.

Moneydance 2017 has an inbuilt sync engine which allows you to work on the same data set on two computers at different or even at the same time. You have a number of options to do this the best and most flexible is called “Dropbox Folder”. See http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data
    With 2017 you must not store your data set in Dropbox, it must be stored in the default location on the computer you define as your primary computer. The default location can be found under HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER. This will open a file finder at this location. Your data set is a folder not a file and contains other files and folders. The naming convention for a data set is yourdatasetname.moneydance. The latest build of Moneydance should detect if your data set is in Dropbox and provide an automatic means of moving your data set.

You should use Dropbox as your backup location in case your local hard drive fails. Moneydance has an automatic daily backup and a manual backup “Export Backup” which you can perform at any time.

Note you can also sync to iOS and Android devices.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by newss on 12 Oct, 2017 08:08 PM

Thanks again. It seems that my data file IS on my hard-drive so I guess at some point (I assume during an upgrade) the data file was moved to my primary computer. However, there is still a moneydance file in my Dropbox with the same name. I checked the sync settings and the settings for my file are “Don’t Sync”. I’m assuming that the data was copied rather than moved from dropbox to my hard drive when I upgraded the Moneydance software. To make sure it’s safe to delete this file I was thinking of renaming the file that is in Dropbox (so I don’t confuse it with my data file on my hard drive) and then opening the file to see if this is an old file and then delete the file.

Moneydance also freezes every time I attempt to print anything but I might open a new thread for that issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Diane

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Oct, 2017 06:51 AM

Good idea to rename and open your data set in Dropbox to see what it is before deleting. However, after renaming I would move it to the default location before opening it.
    You don’t say what OS your computer has but if it is a Mac then the program freezing on attempting to print is a known issue.
    Many Mac users have reported that upgrading to High Sierra fixes the issue with the Mac OS that was creating the printing issue for Moneydance. Go to your Apple store and look for the upgrade to High Sierra.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac