Automatic download of prices...

George Tovrea

14 Feb, 2019 04:01 PM

Your promo web page states "Investments...current prices can be downloaded automatically". After purchasing Moneydance and setting up my investment accounts with Vanguard, I found that this feature, in fact, does not work (it's not even apparent how to set this up). A convoluted "fix" apparently is available online from a third party (installation instructions are ridiculously hard). When, if at all, do you expect to fix this feature so it works without installing third party software? If the answer is that a fix is on the way in the next 90 days, that's fine. If not, there is no reason for me to continue using this application.

Regards,
B.T.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Feb, 2019 04:52 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi George.

I can’t speak as to if the Quote and Exchange Rate Updater is to be updated but as it stands it works for many. If you can explain the problems you are having with say three examples of your ticker symbols and their corresponding names then support or others may be able to help by checking these securities are supported..

As you the third-party Quote Loader many hundreds of users have found it easy to install and use so I would be interested to understand your problems. Did you watch the video for example to get an overview?

2. 2 Posted by Bill on 14 Feb, 2019 08:49 PM

Thanks for the response. I gave Quote Loader another try after discovering that the link from the BLOG I was looking at was for an old version of MD (2017). The video link there did not exist and the installation files were also dated. Found the correct files/links for MD 2019 by just googling for Quote Loader. The video was very helpful. Installed, set up for my investments/automatic downloads, updated prices for today and all seems right with the world. J

Thanks again,

B.T.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 14 Feb, 2019 09:06 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The Q & ER Extension and the Quote Loader Extension can both work, they use different sources so a user may have more success with one then the other depending on the price(s) you are after. They also offer different options.

For the shares I own both will return prices, so it comes down to personal preference.

The bottom line is that you have a choice.

4. 4 Posted by Bill on 14 Feb, 2019 09:10 PM

Thanks. Installed QL after finding the correct version for 2017. Working fine now.

B.T.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Feb, 2019 10:12 PM

Glad you are finding that Quote Loader does the job for you.

Have Fun

6. 6 Posted by cjbithos on 14 Feb, 2019 11:23 PM

I am a new MD user. I downloaded the trial ver and have been working with if for several days now. I loaded the Quote and Exchange Rate Updater and the Quote Loader Extension to be able to update prices. My question is how long does it take to update quotes/prices? Right now I have 8 stocks/mutual funds and doing a price update took 4:45 minutes. Is that normal? Thank you

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 15 Feb, 2019 12:38 AM

I'm a fellow user.

With the Quote and Exchange Rate Extension, if you are using AlphaVantage as a source, updates will be slow due to limitations imposed by that source, If you have US stocks I would suggest using IEX as a source. For exchange rates you should use ECB as the source.

The sources used by the Quote Loader are generally reasonably quick to provide prices.

8. 8 Posted by cjbithos on 15 Feb, 2019 05:26 PM

I am a new user to MD

dwg
    thank you for your response. I changed to IEX and yes it is much faster but it looks like it will not update the mutual funds I own

9. 9 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Feb, 2019 07:21 PM

Hi cjbithos

Does Quote Loader cover all your securities?

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 15 Feb, 2019 08:00 PM

IEX currently only covers Stocks.

11. 11 Posted by cjbithos on 16 Feb, 2019 03:56 AM

I am a new user

derekent when I set the Quote and Exchange Rate Extension for AlphaVantage it has covered the stocks and mutual funds I have tried

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac