How to auto-calculate shares instead of price?

reefland

11 Feb, 2019 08:07 PM

Problem: I use Betterment, which has a very annoying practice of not including enough digits in their statements to always be able to make an accurate entry.. you have to fudge something to get SHARES, PRICE and VALUE to all line up.

An Actual Example on my Statement:
Fund: MUB, Price: $113.27, Shares: 0.001, Value: $0.13

In this case, 3 digits is not enough to come up with $0.13 (MD shows $0.12). So I know PRICE and VALUE but MD will not auto-calculate SHARES needed to balance this. If I enter PRICE and VALUE and try to play manually with values for SHARES such as trying "0.001147" (security is set for 6 digits). Nothing gets recalculated, MD looks like it will accept it. HOWEVER, as soon as I press ENTER to accept the transaction the PRICE gets changed to "$113.3391456" which isn't close enough.

As a Quicken comparison, when this happens Quicken has a popup asking "Please select the value you want Quicken to recalculate", of which I can select "Shares" and be done with this.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 11 Feb, 2019 08:27 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I believe Moneydance works on the basis that when there is a transaction it is expected you will receive a fixed number of shares or units determined by the Institution involved and this is not something you can change and also it is for a fixed amount of money hence the price per share would normally be the variable, In some instances rounding may be involved which fixes the price per share and the total amount changes which in turn is adjusted through a miscellaneous Income or expense transaction.

2. 2 Posted by reefland on 12 Feb, 2019 02:48 AM

@dwg - I appreciate the quick response.

I'm aware the root cause of my issue is with Betterment's lack of reporting accuracy and not with MD. Quicken just provides and easy/quick way of dealing with it. This is just another feature MD is lacking and I'll just have to deal with it.

Thanks again.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac