Change investment portfolio

John Michelich

08 Dec, 2018 12:08 AM

How can I change several stocks from one portfolio to a new one in another brokerage?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Henry on 10 Dec, 2018 01:21 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting us.
    I believe that currently the only way to do it is to enter a SellXfr in the source account and a Buy in the destination account. It is important to enter these transactions at the original purchase price so as not to change your cost basis.

I have to confirm in advance that less than ideal as a method of transferring and we do have a suggestion ticket in our ticketing system regarding this, however it has not yet been implemented.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by John Michelich on 13 Dec, 2018 06:54 PM

I transferred 2 stocks as directed. After doing, the portfolio view in new account showed it was all cash and the register & bank register showed OK but the securities detail showed only one stock and with only the price field, no shares, current value etc. Any suggestions?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tom Freeman on 19 Dec, 2018 09:56 PM

Can you please attach a screen shot of both registers showing the transactions used to make the transfers.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by avp2 on 20 Dec, 2018 04:48 PM

MD investment accounts have no stock transfer function, only cash. You sell in the old account (SellXfr or Xfer), then Buy in the new account - matching the fake cash xfer. The price on both transactions has to be the same to avoid having a cash left over cash balance in the new account. To keep the cost basis the same, the price also needs to be cost basis divided by number of shares transferred.

If closing the old account, you may be able to just Edit its info to match the new and then adjust holdings. This also retains transaction history.

It will be much nicer when a security transfer function is added to the program.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac