Complete support for Investments is long overdue

dwg

09 Nov, 2018 10:32 AM

Here I am some 6 or so years after switching to Moneydance thinking the product has a lot of potential and I am sitting here yet again working around the lack of decent Investment support, and particular support for shares, but to be honest even support for mutual funds is not complete..

I have a stack of Capital Returns (and a couple of capital calls) that I need to maintain Spreadsheets in addition to Moneydance to manage them properly and I have some 11 spread sheets many of them with multiple RoC. I should NOT have to do management outside of the Financial Management Software I use.

Is The Infinite Kind EVER going to address this? Or does something think it is adequate - and as someone who owns shares I can tell you it is NOT in any way, shape or form.

I'm getting increasing frustrated by the amount of extra work I have to do.

Des

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tom Freeman on 15 Nov, 2018 01:48 AM

Des

We have always appreciated the support you have shown MD user base. Sean is working on a new MD 2019 version.

I have been advocating for more resources for investment for years as well. I would email Sean directly with you thoughts and concerns.

[email blocked]

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 15 Nov, 2018 04:15 AM

Tom,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

I will write it up in an email, I am assuming Sean's email has not changed, my last email was not answered or acknowledged.

If it was his email that was included in your post I'm afraid I have all email notifications disabled, as I found my inbox became flooded otherwise.

Des

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tom Freeman on 16 Nov, 2018 04:26 PM

His email gets flooded as well and sometimes he misses an email.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 20 Nov, 2018 08:22 PM

I've written up an email and have sent it off.

5. 5 Posted by Jim Larus on 21 Nov, 2018 11:00 AM

Investments are definitely a weak and missing aspect of MD. The existing tools are fairly minimal and make it very difficult to get a clear picture of what is happening to investments across multiple accounts. Hopefully, MD2019 will fix some of these problems since the existing extension model hasn't produced very good workarounds

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 21 Nov, 2018 07:37 PM

The fundamental problem is that Moneydance is missing some some actions which cannot be duplicated in any other way. Extensions cannot help if the fundamental transaction types are not there.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 22 Nov, 2018 09:53 PM

For the information of anyone reading this post in my mail to Sean, I highlighted the following issues.

1. No Return of Capital function (by extension a negative RoC is a capital call) so one function does two rolls

2. Need for a stock for Stock action

3. I outlined a way I think a move investments between account function could be done. (EDIT On reflection I think this is more difficult than I envisaged as although my thought should move the buy/sell transactions it did not allow for the movement of the associated funds)

4. Highlighted that not all of us has ready access to investment transaction downloads for Mutual funds that are useful for importing into MD (or anything really) and that it is need for a way of entering increases/decreases of value so that these can be set up as investment accounts, reported on as such and even get graphs and other data showing changes in value over time.

5. Highlighted that with stock splits they more often and not do come out cleanly and often require rounding and the moment that requires a lot of fiddling with the split ratio, thus a way of adding/deleting shares to make shares to whole numbers is needed.

I know there are more investment actions but I felt this was a good starting point.

Any Comments?

8. 8 Posted by sprimost on 23 Nov, 2018 04:25 PM

One that is a glaring irritation ...

I do an end of year report that should show mutual fund re-investment
    (it does show number of shares and amount) _and_ dividend/capital gains
    (only shows the transaction, but not the amount). So each year I run the
    report, and then match it up with the transactions within the security.

9. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2019 04:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac