Does newest MD download daily security prices?

Bob Hovey

19 Sep, 2018 12:43 AM

For years I enjoyed the daily update of my securities through Money Dance. More recently that function stopped working on my program. Does the current new version of MD that I would buy on your website update security prices?

Thank you
Bob

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Sep, 2018 07:44 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Moneydance now uses a new free source for quotes Alpha Vantage. For many this works well, but is very slow in obtaining quotes, restrictions imposed by Alpha Vantage, not Moneydance to about 4 quotes per minute. For other it provides poor coverage for there securities. There is however a third-party extension system that is free, fast and provides excellent coverage. See http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Bob Hovey on 19 Sep, 2018 04:04 PM

Thank you. I need to update MD and resolve a price file retention issue (separate thread) first, but I will give this a try and share my experience.

Bob Hovey
    [email blocked]

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Sep, 2018 04:20 PM

High Bob

For information other users that have problems with price that have been manually entered and lost after a Moneydance restart report that this is not a issue with prices automatically entered using the Quote Loader.
    what version and build of Moneydance are you running. What is your computer operating system.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by Bob Hovey on 19 Sep, 2018 04:42 PM

High Sierra 10.13.6
    MD 2017.8 (1691) this may be a beta, it was installed when I was working another glitch some months ago.
    working on a current update of MD.

I am expecting a major Mac iOS update any day. I’ll want to settle the iOS updates before doing the MD update and price extensions.

My main MD problem now is that my manual price updates post normally, and I can get updated reports in the usual way, but when I close MD and reboot the prices all revert to the same mid July date. The just entered manual updates disappear. They won’t survive a reboot. I’m hoping that installing a clean MD program will fix this. I have a “private” support thread working this issue.

Bob Hovey
    [email blocked]
    --------------------------

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Sep, 2018 05:09 PM

High Bob

For info 2017.8(1691) is the current release. If you purchased direct not from Apple the latest preview build that fixes bugs is 2017.10(1701) from https://infinitekind.com/preview

Hope this helps

6. 6 Posted by Robert Hovey on 17 Oct, 2018 08:38 PM

Thank you for your help. I have had internet service problems that have taken all my time, but I will check the quote loader system.

FYI, my manual price posting continues to lose prices when I reboot my system. But if I sell a stock, or through DivR buy some shares, those prices continue to post in the usual way and I am testing but it seems that they do stick permanently.

So if that proves out the problem is narrowed to prices posted through manual posting to the security detail / History / New process. And those prices will hold for a session, only to be lost somehow in the file / save and reboot process. Bewildering.

Bob

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Oct, 2018 08:54 PM

Hi Bob

There have been a number of feature additions since I posted earlier in this thread so now see post 113 at http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

Download the PDF attached to that post. in the PDF there is a link to a YouTube tutorial video take a look at that before following the PDF.

Let us know how you get on. Any problems just post.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac