Third-party Quote Loader System

derekkent23

06 Sep, 2018 05:28 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
Also, acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The Link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

You must also update to at least the latest released build of Moneydance 2017 at https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software to ensure compatibility.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

Showing page 4 out of 6. View the first page

1. 91 Posted by royce on 22 Sep, 2018 01:36 AM

HI Kevin

I cannot see anywhere in the extensions where users can start Quote Loader on start up on on a schedule.

Can you point me to this feature

Thanks
    Royce

2. 92 Posted by -Kevin N. on 22 Sep, 2018 02:06 AM

Hi Royce,

As of yet version 2110 is only available thru a secured link on the developers website.

I'm sure that he will make it available to the general public shortly.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

3. 93 Posted by Mike Bray on 22 Sep, 2018 06:41 AM

The current version is 2100. We are testing 2110 which Kevin referred to. Kevin is one of the testers. I do not want to release until I am happy with the functionality.

Mike (not part of MD support)

4. 94 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 Sep, 2018 06:43 AM

Hi Royce

Automatic Update is under test.
    When it is ready it will be released in the normal way.

Hope this helps.

5. 95 Posted by jdlea on 22 Sep, 2018 12:40 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the responses.

6. 96 Posted by Tony Blunt on 24 Sep, 2018 04:12 PM

Love it....

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you

7. 97 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 Sep, 2018 08:27 PM

Hi Tony.

I am sure the team will appreciate your positive feedback.
    More to come.

8. 98 Posted by Mike Bray on 28 Sep, 2018 06:32 AM

I have released build 2110 of the Quote Loader. This introduces automatic running. You can run the program daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly. Please read the Wiki at https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2015/wiki/Extensions and the pdf developed by Derek Kent which can be found with the program files in https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2015/downloads/

Regards
    Mike (A user not part of MD Support)

9. 99 Posted by Mezzanine on 28 Sep, 2018 06:56 AM

Excellent - the automation works great. Many thanks to Mike, hleofxquotes and Derek for all of the hard work in developing a new automated prices/rates updater for MD.

10. 100 Posted by derekkent23 on 28 Sep, 2018 07:26 AM

NEW BUILD RELEASE
    1. Include a comprehensive feature that adds the ability to automatically update Securities and Exchange Rates to a schedule, without the need to open the Quote Loader extension. securityquoteload.mxt updated.
    2. PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” updated to V4.0. Video updated to V4.0. PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

securityquoteload.mxt - New Build 2110
    rhumba.mxt – No Change - Build 1034
    hleOfxQuotes.jar - No Change - Build 225

Users must uninstall the Quotes and Rates Updater extension to Prevent Conflicts!!

To receive Email updates on this thread, ensure the box at top right of page has been set to SUBSCRIBE.

PDF’s and Video by Derek Kent.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use. The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

You must also update to at least the latest released build of Moneydance 2017 at https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software to ensure compatibility.

Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
    Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

Hope this helps.

11. 101 Posted by SteveH42 on 28 Sep, 2018 08:51 AM

Brilliant! I do however have a suggestion. I have a combination of stocks, shares and currencies set up in MD. I have just run MD and as expected the quote loader has run automatically (set to Daily) and updated the currencies and the share prices and set the next run date to tomorrow (29th). However, my stocks have not updated as the prices are not available for today until after COB (approx 5.30pm), so these still have a "Price Date" of yesterday (27th). Now, if I run MD again this evening, these prices will not update automatically because Quote loader now has a next run date of tomorrow. So, if I don't run MD until tomorrow evening, I will miss todays stock prices. I know I could run the quote loader manually this evening but that defeats the object.
    Would it therefore be possible to enhance quote loader so that when it does it check to see if it needs to run today that it also checks to see if there are any items that have a "Price date" prior to the last run date, and if so then it runs again even though it has already run once that day so that these prices are updated?

12. 102 Posted by Mike Bray on 28 Sep, 2018 11:55 AM

I need to be careful with this sort of process, I don't want to get it into an endless loop.

What you can do is set the Next Run date back today and close and reopen MD. This will cause it to run again, so if you do it this evening it will capture the new prices.
    Mike

13. 103 Posted by PaulF on 28 Sep, 2018 12:39 PM

Hi this looks great. I am trying to understand the functionality. Does it only run when MD is opened or does it update daily if MD is left open? If the latter at what time does it update? Thanks Paul

14. 104 Posted by Mike Bray on 28 Sep, 2018 12:45 PM

Unfortunately only when MD is opened. I did ask MD if the Reminder system could be used but they said not. I would basically had to duplicate that work to have timers to start the runs.

15. 105 Posted by PaulF on 28 Sep, 2018 01:00 PM

Thanks - this extension has been fantastic. In the old HleOfxquotes load program one was able to amend the quote received by the use of /xxx/xxx. Is this still possible? The reason I ask is that I try to track an exchange rate as a quasi index (eg GBP/EUR which I show on my portfolio page. When I download GBPEUR, it is downloaded as say Eur1.1 and then as my base currency is £ automatically converted by the load program into £1 (using the currency exchange rate). Is there any way I can reclassify the EUR into GBP using the /xxx/xxx as part of ticker symbol. No problem if I can't as I can always input manually. But hopefully there is no harm in asking...

16. 106 Posted by Mike Bray on 28 Sep, 2018 01:05 PM

Not one I have encountered, maybe Derek Kent can look at this one as he is more up on these sort of uses.

17. 107 Posted by derekkent23 on 28 Sep, 2018 05:12 PM

Hi PaulF

The HleOfxquotes attribute /xxx/xxx does not work with the Quote Loader system, sorry.

18. 108 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Oct, 2018 05:51 AM

NEW BUILD RELEASE
    1. Small automatic update bug fixed. securityquoteload.mxt updated.
    2. PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” updated to V4.1. Video V4.0. PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

securityquoteload.mxt - New Build 2111
    rhumba.mxt – No Change - Build 1034
    hleOfxQuotes.jar - No Change - Build 225

Users must uninstall the Quotes and Rates Updater extension to Prevent Conflicts!!

To receive Email updates on this thread, ensure the box at top right of page has been set to SUBSCRIBE.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use.

The link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

Hope this helps.

19. 109 Posted by tmstiles on 04 Oct, 2018 11:04 AM

Finally an extension that gets the prices quickly and consistently, Thank you.
    in moneydance when i buy a security i enter it in Rands eg PPE.jo is 30 cents or R0.3,
    when i run the updater it it downloads the price in cents, but when i apply them it puts them into the history in rands

So it will download 30c but put into history R30.

is there a way to convert the Cents to Rands correctly

20. 110 Posted by Mike Bray on 04 Oct, 2018 12:51 PM

Do the prices come back with a Trading Currency of ZAR? Or something else?

21. 111 Posted by Mike Bray on 04 Oct, 2018 01:08 PM

Hi tmstiles
    There is a work around. You need to find the pseudocurrencies.dict file. On windows it is in the folder c:\{user}\.moneydance\fmodules\.rhumba.

Open it with notepad and add the following text just before the ]
    , { "pseudo": "ZAc", "multiplier": 0.01, "replacement": "ZAR" }

Note: the comma before the { is required

Then save the file. I will add this in the next build.

22. 112 Posted by tmstiles on 04 Oct, 2018 01:17 PM

Awesome, that worked, thank you very much

Is there anywhere where i can export the price history or find it in a file so that i can do global changes to fix up all the data that was messed up by the previous extension?

23. 113 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2018 02:42 PM

NEW BUILD RELEASE
    1. The ability to include trade volumes, when available, added.
    2. The ability to set a time for Automatic Update to run on the due day.
    3. Support the conversion of prices in South African cents into Rand.
    4. PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” updated to V5.0. Update tutorial Video to V5.0. PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

securityquoteload.mxt - New Build 2120
    rhumba.mxt – New Build 1036
    hleOfxQuotes.jar – New Build 226

To receive email notification to updates on this thread, click the SUBSCRIBE button in the box at the top right of the forum page.

Hope this helps.

24. 114 Posted by Mezzanine on 06 Oct, 2018 03:23 PM

Thanks for the updates - great work on the new features - but I'm now seeing issues with GBP/GBX conversions (see attached).

I updated both extensions and the jar file.

25. 115 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2018 04:04 PM

I am not support staff just a user.

Hi Mezzanine

I get the correct conversion see screen shot.
    Can you post a screen shot of full Quote Loader Window.

26. 116 Posted by JimRB on 06 Oct, 2018 04:14 PM

Thanks again for all the hard work and the latest update which works well for me with UK stocks and units.

I had a panic because one Equity Fund suddenly wasn't showing a price. But it was nothing to do with Quote Loader. Investigation showed that it had been merged into another one. As it is in an ISA, the ISA managers haven't yet got round to telling me about it.

27. 117 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2018 04:23 PM

Hi Mezzanine

There may be an issue let us have time to look into it.

28. 118 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2018 04:29 PM

Hi Mezzanine

In a folder called .rhumba do you have a file called pseudocurrency.dict

29. 119 Posted by Mezzanine on 06 Oct, 2018 04:52 PM

Derek - yes, the file exists and hasn't changed since installed by a previous version;

MacBook-Air-2:.rhumba user$ ls -lan
    total 45208
    drwxr-xr-x@  7 501  20       224 12 Sep 17:46 .
    drwxr-xr-x  24 501  20       768  6 Oct 16:11 ..
    -rw-r--r--@  1 501  20  22839077  6 Oct 16:12 hleOfxQuotes.jar
    -rw-r--r--@  1 501  20       564  6 Sep 21:33 hleofxquotes-log4j.properties
    drwxr-xr-x@  3 501  20        96  6 Sep 21:33 logs
    -rw-r--r--@  1 501  20        81 12 Sep 17:46 pseudocurrency.dict
    -rw-r--r--@  1 501  20       116  6 Oct 17:36 rhumbaConfiguration.json
    MacBook-Air-2:.rhumba user$ cat pseudocurrency.dict 
    [
      {
        "pseudo": "GBX",
        "multiplier": 0.01,
        "replacement": "GBP"
      }
    ]

I used to have the GBX currency that we originally needed to create but removed that once the dict file was included.

An expanded screenshot attached.

30. 120 Posted by Mezzanine on 06 Oct, 2018 04:59 PM

I think I found the issue. This is in the logs:

Quote Load>INFO:17:41-AWT-EventQueue-0(PseudoList,getData) IO Exception /Users/gwilford/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/fmodules/.rhumba\pseudocurrency.dict (No such file or directory)

Note the forward slash instead of a backslash...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Quote_Loader_System_by_Mike_Bray_and_hleofxquotes_V1.0.pdf 429 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac