How do I record an earnings adjustment?

markandclare

22 Jun, 2018 01:28 AM

In my husbands 401(k) they recorded an "earnings adjustment due to stock price" as a sale of stock. When I recorded it, it threw off my cash balance by the amount of the sale. How do I simply reduce the amount of stock in that fund by the adjustment?
It wasn't a significant sum but it drives me nuts not be be in balance. :)
Thank,
Clare

1. 1 Posted by Mike Bray on 22 Jun, 2018 06:00 AM

Hi Clare

I am sure we can work it out. Do you have your 401(k) as an investment account with one or more stocks associated with it? Did they reduce the number of shares or the price or both?

As test I tried doing a sale of stock with a cost of 0.00. It reduced my number of shares and did not affect my cash balance. Just check that the stock price has not been affected.

Mike ( A user not MD Support)

2. 2 Posted by markandclare on 22 Jun, 2018 02:10 PM

Yes, the account is set up as an investment account with  10 funds. the entry by the record keeper shows date, fund, shares, per share $ & total $.

|

3. 3 Posted by Mike Bray on 22 Jun, 2018 02:51 PM

Then my suggestion should work. Put a sale through with the correct number of shares. Set
    the cost to zero after setting the number of shares. Don’t touch the price. Hit enter.
    Mike

Sent from my iPad

4. 4 Posted by markandclare on 24 Jun, 2018 12:47 AM

that worked perfectly! thanks so much.

On Friday, June 22, 2018, 7:51:47 AM MST, Mike Bray <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac